STATE OF ALABAMA
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION

50 N. Ripley Street Montgomery, Alabama

Date: June 1, 2008

To: All owners of Motor Vehicles Registered in the State of Alabama
All Alabama Dealers of New and Used Motor Vehicles
All Alabama Law Enforcement Personnel

Re: Amendment to DMV1138:109A (Section 2)

Effective January 1, 2010, all motor vehicles sold in the State of Alabama will be required to be equipped with a headlight dimmer switch mounted on the floorboard of the vehicle. The dimmer switch must be mounted in a position to allow operation by pressing the switch with the left foot. The switch must be located far enough from the foot pedals to avoid inadvertent operation of the pedals.

Effective July 1, 2011, all other vehicles with steering mounted dimmer switches must be retro-fitted with a floorboard dimmer switch of the type described above. Owners of the registered motor vehicles who fail to comply with the requirements shall be subjected to a maximum fine of $500. Also effective July 1, 2011, lack of compliance will be sufficient reason for failure of the annual Alabama State Inspection test.

It is recognized that this requirement will cause some hardship for the motoring public.
However, this amendment was enacted in the interest of public safety. A 2006 study
conducted by the Alabama State Registry of Motor Vehicles entitled: Initiation Sequence in Alabama State Nighttime Highway Traffic Accidents, revealed that 93% of all Alabama State nighttime highway accidents are caused by Fundamentalist Christian drivers who got their feet caught in the steering wheel while attempting to operate the highbeam dimmer switch. It is hoped that relocating the dimmer switch to the floorboard location will result in a decrease of such accidents.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

STATE OF ALABAMA
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION

50 N. Ripley Street Montgomery, Alabama

Date: June 1, 2008

To: All owners of Motor Vehicles Registered in the State of Alabama
All Alabama Dealers of New and Used Motor Vehicles
All Alabama Law Enforcement Personnel

Re: Amendment to DMV1138:109A (Section 2)

Effective January 1, 2010, all motor vehicles sold in the State of Alabama will be required to be equipped with a headlight dimmer switch mounted on the floorboard of the vehicle. The dimmer switch must be mounted in a position to allow operation by pressing the switch with the left foot. The switch must be located far enough from the foot pedals to avoid inadvertent operation of the pedals.

Effective July 1, 2011, all other vehicles with steering mounted dimmer switches must be retro-fitted with a floorboard dimmer switch of the type described above. Owners of the registered motor vehicles who fail to comply with the requirements shall be subjected to a maximum fine of $500. Also effective July 1, 2011, lack of compliance will be sufficient reason for failure of the annual Alabama State Inspection test.

It is recognized that this requirement will cause some hardship for the motoring public.
However, this amendment was enacted in the interest of public safety. A 2006 study
conducted by the Alabama State Registry of Motor Vehicles entitled: Initiation Sequence in Alabama State Nighttime Highway Traffic Accidents, revealed that 93% of all Alabama State nighttime highway accidents are caused by Fundamentalist Christian drivers who got their feet caught in the steering wheel while attempting to operate the highbeam dimmer switch. It is hoped that relocating the dimmer switch to the floorboard location will result in a decrease of such accidents.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

Interesting. I can remember driving cars that had a dimmer switch on the floor board.

I realize the post is a joke but I learned to drive in a 72 Suburban that had the same system. Worked fine for me.
Now what happens? People just confuse the high beams, wipers and turn signals.

My first bomb was a 56 Olds Holiday. I got it third hand and it was 10 years old.

The dimmer switch was on the floor.

In fact, all dimmer switches that I recall were on the floor until sometime in the 60s or so. Hell maybe even till the 70s.

I can't remember when they changed exactly, but it screwed up most people for a while we got used to dimming our lights using a different system.

My first bomb was a 56 Olds Holiday. I got it third hand and it was 10 years old.

The dimmer switch was on the floor.

In fact, all dimmer switches that I recall were on the floor until sometime in the 60s or so. Hell maybe even till the 70s.

I can't remember when they changed exactly, but it screwed up most people for a while we got used to dimming our lights using a different system.

I do believe you are correct...not sure when they moved the dimmer to the column but I think it was in the 70s.

I realize the post is a joke but I learned to drive in a 72 Suburban that had the same system. Worked fine for me.
Now what happens? People just confuse the high beams, wipers and turn signals.

There are other features that auto makers have done away with for the sake of convenience that I wish they'd bring back:
1. Gas tank covers that can only be opened from inside the car - prevents vandalism
2. Doors that must be locked using a key, thereby preventing the keys from being locked in the car (although on some new cars like mine, there is a feature that senses the chip in the key inside the car and unlocks the doors automatically).

Forum List

Back