New Diabetes Drug Question

Merlin

Jul 5, 2004
Ponchatoula, La.
I have been told about a recently FDA approved drug called Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for diabetes patients. I heard about it yesterday and spent most of the night reading on the web about it. My question is, has any of you used it personally or know anyone that has used it, and if so, what is your/their opinion. The Doctors has tried about everything else for my wife's diabetes and the pain in her legs and I don't want to be running to them requesting medicine without some yeas or nays. She's had diabetes for 14 years and takes 160 units of insulin a day. They have told her she is in the last stages now. This is the only site I know of I can ask questions about health, so thanks for any information you can give about diabetes.

Merlin said:
I have been told about a recently FDA approved drug called Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for diabetes patients. I heard about it yesterday and spent most of the night reading on the web about it. My question is, has any of you used it personally or know anyone that has used it, and if so, what is your/their opinion. The Doctors has tried about everything else for my wife's diabetes and the pain in her legs and I don't want to be running to them requesting medicine without some yeas or nays. She's had diabetes for 14 years and takes 160 units of insulin a day. They have told her she is in the last stages now. This is the only site I know of I can ask questions about health, so thanks for any information you can give about diabetes.

My sister in law's mother has diabetes and it too is pretty far along. She got hers while pregnant with her fourth child. She is legally blind and going to have to start dialysis(sp) soon. I'm waiting for a call back from my sis in law now,I will ask her if her or her mom knows anything about this. She is also a medical coder for a hospital here and knows a lot about different medical issues. I'm sorry to hear about your wife,I wish you guys the best.

Merlin,

I checked with my sister in law and her mom isn't on any drugs right now,just the dialysis and I guess insulin? She suggested getting on a diabetes chat board to see what others may think of it. Good luck!

Granny says dat's how come she ain't got the diabetes...
:eusa_eh:
Study Finds Marijuana Helps Control Blood Sugar, Waistlines
May 17, 2013 - Marijuana has been used for centuries to relieve pain, improve mood and increase appetite. A new study suggests that the herb also has a positive effect on blood sugar levels, suggesting it could be helpful in diabetes control.
Researchers analyzed data collected from more than 4,600 patients who completed a drug-use questionnaire and provided blood samples. Nearly half had never used marijuana, about 2,000 others had used it in the past and the rest were current users.

Participants who reported using marijuana in the previous month had the lowest levels of fasting insulin and the highest levels of the so-called 'good' cholesterol - indicators of a lower risk for both diabetes and heart disease. The study also found the marijuana users tended to have smaller waistlines. Large waist circumference, typically associated with obesity, is linked to diabetes risk.

Although the U.S. government banned marijuana in 1937, its social use has continued, with an estimated 17.4 million Americans reporting regular or occasional use of the drug. Two states recently legalized recreational marijuana, and nearly half the states and the District of Columbia have legalized or decriminalized medical-use marijuana, for patients suffering from glaucoma or the effects of chemotherapy or HIV/AIDS.

This new study, appearing in The American Journal of Medicine, highlights the need for more research into the short and long-term effects of marijuana in a variety of clinical settings.

Source

Isn't that an anti depressant? I was reading just now that it causes your sugar to go up. Research everything, I just noticed a couple of comments that people are saying it's a bad drug.

Many Africans unaware of diabetes...
:eusa_eh:
Many Africans with Diabetes Unaware of Illness
September 05, 2013 — A study published in the World Diabetes Atlas says that more than 80 percent of people living with diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa do not know that they suffer from the disease. Sub-Saharan Africa has more than 15 million of the 371 million people living with diabetes in the world.
The report states that diabetes is a global burden as the number of people living with the disease continues to rise. But it says the situation is worse in sub-Saharan Africa. Dr. Palma Mesumbe of the Cameroon Diabetes Association said even in North Africa where many more people visit hospitals, half of the patients did not know that they had diabetes. “It is clearly established today that the number of diabetics is increasing on the day. Half of the people who have diabetes do not know they have it. We are talking about 52.9 percent for instance in North Africa that do not know that they have diabetes,” said Dr. Mesumbe.

108D7A2A-0FD5-46B1-8842-1D551F56F2F6_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy3_cw0.jpg

Jonas Lukano, 60, who is has diabetes, is watched over by his sister at the state general hospital in Congo's capital of Kinshasa.

The World Diabetes Atlas study adds that the greatest number of people with diabetes are between the ages of 40 and 59. Another medic, Dayawa Akuns, said a lot more within the same age group may be living with diabetes without knowing it, since symptoms can only be noticed at chronic stages. “At the moment when we have the signs and symptoms of diabetes, it is assumed that more than 50 percent of the cells that have the responsibility to produce insulin have been destroyed. Over time as these cells are being destroyed, we are not going to see the symptoms because it has not reached a particular threshold to trigger signs and symptoms,” said Akuns.

It is projected that by 2031 the number of people living with the disease will increase to more than 552 million. Palma Mesumbe said that it would be a serious problem, especially in Africa which is socially and economically disadvantaged. “It's going to be a problem in Africa where we are going to see a doubling in the prevalence of diabetes. We are at 4.3 percent and in 20 years that percentage is going to double, and the problem is how ready are we to handle that situation,” said Dr. Mesumbe. To control the situation, the report says governments must reinforce diabetes awareness strategies and support associations fighting the disease.

Many Africans with Diabetes Unaware of Illness

No. I have not used it yet. But we are making some first hand research on it ourselves before using the drugs.

Forum List

Back