New CNN poll shows overwhelming support for Cut, Cap, and Balance

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
For some reason CNN is glossing this over. I can't imagine why.

The poll is here. (pdf)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/07/21/rel11b.pdf

CNN covers it here.

CNN Poll: Strong partisan divide on debt ceiling – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

13 paragraphs in we see this tidbit.

Republicans like the "cut, cap, and balance" approach to the debt ceiling, as do Democrats and independents. Most Americans support a balanced budget amendment, and most, but not as many, think an amendment is necessary to get federal spending under control. A balanced budget amendment passed the House earlier this week, but a vote in the Senate is expected to fail.

What exactly does most mean here? 52%?

Not exactly.

63% of Democrats back the CCB bill passed by the House. Even people who say they oppose the Tea Party support it 53%/47%.

That means that Obama went to the people, and they listened, to the other side.

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

CNN Poll: Strong partisan divide on debt ceiling – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Republicans like the "cut, cap, and balance" approach to the debt ceiling, as do Democrats and independents. Most Americans support a balanced budget amendment, and most, but not as many, think an amendment is necessary to get federal spending under control. A balanced budget amendment passed the House earlier this week, but a vote in the Senate is expected to fail.

Not exactly.

63% of Democrats back the CCB bill passed by the House. Even people who say they oppose the Tea Party support it 53%/47%.

There's already a thread on this.

Granny says be real suspicious o' dem politicians - dey's sneaky...
:eusa_eh:
Beware the debt ceiling vote
July 21, 2011: The stock plunge on Sept. 29, 2008, when the first bank bailout bill was voted down, is a reminder of a risk lawmakers take if they push debt ceiling vote to the last minute.
The debt ceiling talks, for weeks now, have been going on behind closed doors. The negotiations have been conducted by a tiny group of legislative leaders and President Obama's top aides. All the while, the countdown to Aug. 2, when the government will no longer be able to pay all its bills, has marched closer. Any proposal will still have to be put into legislative language, scored by the Congressional Budget Office and vetted by rank-and-file lawmakers whose votes will decide its fate.

Even after the principal negotiators announce a deal, the rest of Congress will have to be convinced to go along. The closer to D-Day Washington gets, the messier it will be. Witness what happened on Sept. 29, 2008, when the House at first rejected the $700 billion bank bailout bill. Weeks earlier, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had been placed into conservatorship by the Treasury Department. Lehman Brothers had filed for bankruptcy. AIG Corp, the world's biggest insurer, had been bailed out by the Federal Reserve.

After all that, the Senate passed the bill. And then, as markets watched, the measure was voted down in the House -- a defeat that shocked investors and congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle.

MORE

See also:

Debt ceiling talks aim at $3 trillion in cuts
July 21, 2011: WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama is continuing to pursue the most "significant deficit reduction package possible," his spokesman said Thursday, the latest indication officials are keeping a variety of options open while trying to hammer out an agreement to raise the nation's debt ceiling and avoid an unprecedented default.
The president and Vice President Biden met Thursday afternoon with Democratic leaders from the House and Senate. Meanwhile, sources indicated the negotiations were focusing on a deal to cut $3 trillion in deficits over the next 10 years that would be accompanied by a debt ceiling increase. According to the congressional aides, who spoke on condition of not being identified, the possible deal remains in limbo over a disagreement on whether to extend Bush-era tax cuts for families earning more than $250,000 a year. Nothing has been agreed to yet, they noted.

The possible deal would include spending cuts expected to total $1 trillion or more agreed to in earlier negotiations led by Biden, the sources said. It also would reform entitlement programs by changing the eligibility age for Medicare over time, and using a more restrictive inflation index for Social Security benefits, according to the sources.

On taxes, it would permanently extend the Bush tax cuts for families earning less than $250,000 while allowing the cuts to expire at the end of 2012 for those with income above that, the aides said. At the same time, the deal would include a commitment to reform the tax code next year, which is expected to lower all tax rates and eliminate loopholes and subsidies, the sources said.

However, House Speaker John Boehner wants the deal to make all of the Bush tax cuts permanent while keeping the commitment to tax reform, the sources said. Republicans oppose any tax hikes, and their resistance has been a major obstacle to any deal in the negotiations so far.

MORE

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

Interesting that you skipped the part about 64% of Americans being in favor of a combination of cuts AND tax increases...

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

Interesting that you skipped the part about 64% of Americans being in favor of a combination of cuts AND tax increases...

As an unashamed right winger, I would accept tax increases - if they were:

1. increased for everyone, not just by demonizing other Americans, such as the 'rich'.

2. ringfenced to pay off the debt and not to provide more bullshit for special interest pork.

Greenspan mentions inThe Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World (published September 17, 2007) that when it began looking like we might be on the road to eliminating deficeit spending and perhaps even eventually eliminate the national debt, it occurred to him that the whole mechanism of how money was created that this economic system depends on would fall apart.

At that point he realized that a balanced budget -- where the government was not borrowing money -- would NOT be (in his opinion) a good thing.

So who does NOT want the USA to have a balanced budget?

Apparently the MASTERS OF THE BANKING UNIVERSE must have this nation forever in debt for the economic system we now have to function.

If you find that somewhat outrageous, citizen, know that you are not alone.

Last edited:
This bill would make it impossible to go to war.

But Republicans (and Democrats) never let a budget stop them from doing that.

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

1. increased for everyone, not just by demonizing other Americans, such as the 'rich'.

2. ringfenced to pay off the debt and not to provide more bullshit for special interest pork.

So... let's see... Not only do you support cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid...programs that tens of millions rely on to survive and keep healthy... but then on top of it, you want people who can barely afford to survive to be taxed(if they get 100% refunds) or be taxed more(if they don't).

Nice... you want to pull a double whammy on those who LEAST can afford it, and let the people that can afford it most to be hit the least. Yep... you are an unabashed right winger.

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

any poll regarding tax increases will always show favor to the idea seeing as 75% of the people are not negatively affected by proposed tax increases.

The US is of a mindset of "good idea but not in my backyard"

Now...if the poll said

"are you in favor of ALL Americans having to pay "x" percentage of your income to the government regardless of your income....I gurantee you those in favor would be less than 25%.

So to use that "64%" stat is disingenuous and not applicable to the debate at hand.

So... let's see... Not only do you support cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid...programs that tens of millions rely on to survive and keep healthy... but then on top of it, you want people who can barely afford to survive to be taxed(if they get 100% refunds) or be taxed more(if they don't).

Nice... you want to pull a double whammy on those who LEAST can afford it, and let the people that can afford it most to be hit the least. Yep... you are an unabashed right winger.

No.

What we are saying is we do not want the face of America changed.
Regardless of income, all are to be treated equally by legislation.

Conservatives dont see rich and poor....they see fellow Americans.

Once we strart classifying people, what we see as the premise that made America great becoems compromised.

You do not have to agree with the wayt we see things.....but it is inappropriate to spin our intentions.

FYI...I had been a pooor conservative longer than I was a "top 5%er"...and my value system never changed

And I believe it was my ideology that allowed me to rise from the ranks of "the poor" as I felt the need to do for myself.

And an FYI....I never veiwed myself as "poor" despite having no money, no job and no home. I saw myself as an American with a dream.

No.

Once we strart classifying people, what we see as the premise that made America great becoems compromised.

You do not have to agree with the wayt we see things.....but it is inappropriate to spin our intentions.

FYI...I had been a pooor conservative longer than I was a "top 5%er"...and my value system never changed

And I believe it was my ideology that allowed me to rise from the ranks of "the poor" as I felt the need to do for myself.

And an FYI....I never veiwed myself as "poor" despite having no money, no job and no home. I saw myself as an American with a dream.

So... you don't consider double whammy-ing the poor and Middle Class, while the Wealthy relatively skate NOT sticking it to the people who can't afford it? I bet not....

Spin you intentions... what about what I have said was "spin"? Do you not want to cut Social Security and Medicare? Do you not want to raise taxes on "everyone", if taxes are part of the deal? That IS hitting one part of society TWICE as hard as another...the crazy thing about it is... the people you want to hit the hardest are the people that can least afford it.

I think your ideology is fucked up. I'm glad you got out of your situation... but not everyone can. Hey... if I was only worried about myself, I wouldn't even be on this message board. My wife and I are doing fine... we are holding our own on our $100k/year.. we have Debt.. like just about every other family in America... but we are paying it off very gradually... two back to back kids going to College will kick your ass... but we are doing right by them... that's all that matters.

EDIT: Conservatives don't see rich and poor? Well... in a sense, you're right.... you see RICH(Good) and Lazy scumbags that ought to be rounded up and shot.

Last edited:
we must oppose more spending as it goest to destroying islam

Trollspray.jpg

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

Don't tell that to Oabama.. he's claiming 80% of American want more debt and taxes.

No.

So... you don't consider double whammy-ing the poor and Middle Class, while the Wealthy relatively skate NOT sticking it to the people who can't afford it? I bet not....

Spin you intentions... what about what I have said was "spin"? Do you not want to cut Social Security and Medicare? Do you not want to raise taxes on "everyone", if taxes are part of the deal? That IS hitting one part of society TWICE as hard as another...the crazy thing about it is... the people you want to hit the hardest are the people that can least afford it.

I think your ideology is fucked up. I'm glad you got out of your situation... but not everyone can. Hey... if I was only worried about myself, I wouldn't even be on this message board. My wife and I are doing fine... we are holding our own on our $100k/year.. we have Debt.. like just about every other family in America... but we are paying it off very gradually... two back to back kids going to College will kick your ass... but we are doing right by them... that's all that matters.

EDIT: Conservatives don't see rich and poor? Well... in a sense, you're right.... you see RICH(Good) and Lazy scumbags that ought to be rounded up and shot.

I may not have presented my thought properly.

So let me try it this way...

I agree that it is a no brainer to tax the rich and not touch SS and medicare. Of course it is the best way to fix our debt issue without having any negative affect on those that are struggling the most....It is by far the smartest fix...and lets be real...the rich wont feel a thing.....well...most wont....(there are those that live in the NYC area that are making 200K and have a family of four and barely getting by due to the very high cost of living in the area...but that is another issue).

However...what I am saying is that before we make a move like that, we need to realize it will be changing the face of America...

And as a conservative, I dont always believe doing what appears to be the smart thing now is in the best interest of America in the long run....and sometimes we need to experience more pain to preserve our futures.

ANd please.....dont put words in my mouth...

Sure there are those that have little means due to laziness...just as there are many wealthy that are lazy and inherited what they have.

But I see most people....with or without wealth...as hard working Americans....

I agree that it is a no brainer to tax the rich and not touch SS and medicare. Of course it is the best way to fix our debt issue without having any negative affect on those that are struggling the most....It is by far the smartest fix...and lets be real...the rich wont feel a thing.....well...most wont....(there are those that live in the NYC area that are making 200K and have a family of four and barely getting by due to the very high cost of living in the area...but that is another issue).

However...what I am saying is that before we make a move like that, we need to realize it will be changing the face of America...

And as a conservative, I dont always believe doing what appears to be the smart thing now is in the best interest of America in the long run....and sometimes we need to experience more pain to preserve our futures.

Sure there are those that have little means due to laziness...just as there are many wealthy that are lazy and inherited what they have.

Well, that's good that you see that... but many of your conservative brethren don't.

How will it be changing the face of America? If ANYTHING.... the Conservative ideology of trying to practically dismantle government in favor of Big business taking over the country and making everything "for Profit" is truly changing the face of America.

Now... let's just touch on something in your post... the $200k person living in NYC. First off... what's been proposed since Obama ran for President was for people making $250k and up. Second, I would have no problem with going up to $500k or keeping the level in which increases take effect at $250k but gradually increase it up to the 4% at $500k.

Heck... it was even proposed(during the budget deal negotiations) to start the 4% at people making $1M/year. But it was opposed because those people are "job Creators"... who then, after they got what they wanted(no repeal of Bush Tax Cuts)... didn't really create any jobs anyway.

So please explain how it will "change the face of America". If anything... your side's desire to gut government to the bone and leave the Middle Class hanging is doing just that. It's just that you(may or may not) agree with that bit of plastic surgery.

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

So you were in favor of letting the bush tax cuts expire?

Well, that's good that you see that... but many of your conservative brethren don't.

How will it be changing the face of America? If ANYTHING.... the Conservative ideology of trying to practically dismantle government in favor of Big business taking over the country and making everything "for Profit" is truly changing the face of America.

Now... let's just touch on something in your post... the $200k person living in NYC. First off... what's been proposed since Obama ran for President was for people making $250k and up. Second, I would have no problem with going up to $500k or keeping the level in which increases take effect at $250k but gradually increase it up to the 4% at $500k.

Heck... it was even proposed(during the budget deal negotiations) to start the 4% at people making $1M/year. But it was opposed because those people are "job Creators"... who then, after they got what they wanted(no repeal of Bush Tax Cuts)... didn't really create any jobs anyway.

So please explain how it will "change the face of America". If anything... your side's desire to gut government to the bone and leave the Middle Class hanging is doing just that. It's just that you(may or may not) agree with that bit of plastic surgery.

Once you enact legislation that is geared to one "class" of people, you are changing America to a "class" based democracy.

As complicated as the tax code is, it is classless...(lol...love the irony...classless is a good word for the tax code)...all have the same rights and access to the same dedcutions. Some pass on them (interest on a mortgage), some cant take advantage of then yet...but they are there for them when and if they want them and can use them.

But once you toss in "income" to define a group in a law....you are walking a very thin line....and before we do it we need to truly examine the long term negative ramificatiuons of doing so...and when you and our dem politicians spin it as "the GOP only care about the rich" we are unable to have an honest debate about it. Again...I am not saying not to do it....what I am saying is we really need to have an honest debate about it...and our politicians wont allow us to.

The 250/200 issue is up in the air....Obama has been known to toss out the 250 number, the 200 number and even the 150 number.

Reality is...when you are talking south of 300K, you MUST take into consideration geographic location.

As for the bush cuts....and it didnt work issue.....I disagree....we wont know if it will or wont work until OTHER issues are dropped or addressed such as cap and trade and helathcare. Those two issues have businesses unsure of WHAT their operating costs are going to be...I know this as fact as I am a business planner in NYC.....ALL of my clients are following the advice of "wait and see". It is irresponsible to push for growth without any knowledge of what your operating costs are going to be next year.

We are not looking to keep the midddle class hanging....but I will admit we are seeking a way to fix our debt issue with as little pain as possible...but without changing the face of America.

Please....look at the crux of the debate...not the outside spin.....the GOP are not idiots....they know the "easy and painless" fix.....but they are not convinced it will be in the bnest interest of America in the long run....as it pertains to the ideology of a conservative.

The poll is here. (pdf)

CNN covers it here.

Not exactly.

any poll regarding tax increases will always show favor to the idea seeing as 75% of the people are not negatively affected by proposed tax increases.

The US is of a mindset of "good idea but not in my backyard"

Now...if the poll said

"are you in favor of ALL Americans having to pay "x" percentage of your income to the government regardless of your income....I gurantee you those in favor would be less than 25%.

So to use that "64%" stat is disingenuous and not applicable to the debate at hand.

That tax would be mostly put on people with wealth that it would take a Normal American 100s of lifetimes to acquire.

That..in itself..should be subject to extreme investigation to figure out how that happened. And that should span generations.

Prescott Bush got busted for making deals with Hitler..but somehow managed to keep his wealth.

How?

Forum List

Back