New claims for unemployment benefits fall to lowest level in nearly 2 years

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
WASHINGTON (AP) -- New applications for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week as General Motors and other manufacturers skipped their usual summer shutdowns.

The Labor Department says that new claims dropped by 29,000 to 429,000, the lowest level since August 2008.

A Labor Department analyst says the decline resulted from fewer layoffs by manufacturing companies than usual this time of year. General Motors said last month that it would forgo its customary two-week summer factory closings, which it uses to retool plants for new car models.

Initial claims for jobless benefits drop sharply - Yahoo! Finance

Are they talking about the same GM that conservatives wanted to see shut down and put out of existence?

Can't be.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- New applications for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week as General Motors and other manufacturers skipped their usual summer shutdowns.

The Labor Department says that new claims dropped by 29,000 to 429,000, the lowest level since August 2008.

A Labor Department analyst says the decline resulted from fewer layoffs by manufacturing companies than usual this time of year. General Motors said last month that it would forgo its customary two-week summer factory closings, which it uses to retool plants for new car models.

Are they talking about the same GM that conservatives wanted to see shut down and put out of existence?

Can't be.

That's because there are fewer people left who aren't already sucking that government teat.

I hope you don't consider this great news.

What a bunch of garbage , How can anyone believe this crap they post anymore.
Freaking messed up what is happening here.
go Google : dailyjobcuts

Check that out, and u will be like wtf

When you cut multiple makes, plants and days supply of vehicles, you can smooth out your labor needs. That is the result of the bankruptcy, not the bailout. In fact, the government delayed the bankruptcy, so in effect it made this whole problem worse.

Also, saying this is the lowest number of claims in two years is like saying, look, the boat isn't sinking as fast any more. Usually the air pressure trapped in the bow blows about then and the boat drops like a rock. A double-dip recession looks like the outcome here. Hang on everybody.

just because GM doesn't "expect" to close its factory NOW, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been shut down. if my young cousin sold shit lemonaide at his corner stand, thereby no one purchases his lemonaide, but, its "american" made lemonaide, my cousin needs a job, would you would consider it a success if i were to bailout out my young cousin and keep his lemonaide stand in operation....

:cuckoo:

if GM would have been allowed to fail, a more competitive and productive company would have taken its place, the workers would have been hired somewhere else....its how the economy works, companies fail all the time

Can't be.

That's because there are fewer people left who aren't already sucking that government teat.

Here, let me help you read:

A Labor Department analyst says the decline resulted from fewer layoffs by manufacturing companies than usual this time of year.

Can't be.

Here, let me help you read:

A Labor Department analyst says the decline resulted from fewer layoffs by manufacturing companies than usual this time of year.

Because you stupid fuck there is no one left to LAY OFF!!! Damn you're stupid!!

Not sure why people losing their jobs is good news.

Fewer people are dead today then yesterday. Doesn't make the dead people feel any better.

Not sure why people losing their jobs is good news.

Fewer people are dead today then yesterday. Doesn't make the dead people feel any better.

I think you will see there are more dead people today than yesterday. You seee dead people don't you? :lol:

Forum List

Back