New Citizens Tell Why They Became Americans

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
I like to read stories like these. Were any published in any of your local newspapers?

At Liberty to Say
What their first Independence Day means to them
By T. J. Banes, The Indianapolis Star
July 2, 2006

They came from faraway lands. Some were on business, some on pleasure trips, when they fell in love with the "land of the free; the home of the brave." Others came to reunite with families. What they all discovered was opportunity. Some of Indiana's newest residents who recently took the oath of U.S. citizenship talk about what it means to celebrate their first Independence Day as Americans.

Jenny Sosna, 47
Jenny Sosna had her Ph.D. and had operated a school for 400 pre-school through high-school students in Ecuador when she arrived in the United States 10 years ago on July 4. She fell in love with the country and worked her way from waitress to translator. She now serves as vice president of Latino development for the Morales Group in Indianapolis. She became a U.S. citizen in March.

Jenny Sosna: "I look forward to celebrating that I am part of this community -- where dreams come true. It's not only for me; it's for anyone who wants to put forth the effort to work hard. I feel if God gave me the power to become a citizen, I can encourage others and have everyone celebrate together, to know that freedom and independence and everything this country stands for is true. Saying 'I'm a U.S. citizen' feels complete."

Le Thanh Nguyen, 23, and Minh Tuyet Tu, 23
Le Thanh Nguyen and his girlfriend, Minh Tuyet Tu, came to the United States from South Vietnam. As a child, Tu and her family lived in a Malaysian refugee camp before returning to Vietnam. He came to the States five years ago; she arrived six years ago. Nguyen and Tu became U.S. citizens in January. Today the couple works together seven days a week as technicians at Nail Design in Anderson. They will celebrate the Fourth of July by closing their business for three days and traveling to New York City to watch the fireworks near the Statue of Liberty. Minh Tuyet Tu also has her toenails painted red, white and blue.

Minh Tuyet Tu: "I'm excited to be a citizen. I feel safer. There are little things that make a difference living here. I like the restrooms at the gas stations. In my country (Vietnam), the restrooms are the streets. I like that people are respectful and wait in line. In my country, they cut in front. I like that there are disposable plates. Growing up we used the same bowl, washed it and used it again, and I love the change of seasons. I like that I can wear the flag's colors. That is not allowed in Vietnam. I will think of all of this on the Fourth of July."

Le Thanh Nguyen: "This year is special. It means having more rights and more freedom -- to vote and to come and go freely out of the country."

Sanjay Dube, 51, and his wife, Archana, 46
The family came to the United States in 1983 from Agra, India. Sanjay, who completed a fellowship with Wayne State University in Detroit, is a psychiatrist and works as a researcher for Eli Lilly; Archana is an IUPUI faculty member in the department of economics. Their son, Abhishek, 23, is a pre-law student at Valparaiso University. They became U.S. citizens in June. The Dubes have one daughter, Priyanka, who is a senior at Carmel High School.

Sanjay Dube: "We should have become citizens a long time ago. For the first few years we lived here, we were nervous about giving up an allegiance to our country, but as we grew into our careers and our children grew up, we realized that it was this country that helped us move forward. We owe our belongingness, our friendships, and our quality of life as adults to this country. The Fourth of July is an opportune time to celebrate as a family."

Archana Dube: "We have always celebrated the Fourth of July in the past. This year we may have a few more fireworks. I appreciate having the independence, the fact that Americans value different cultures and are very embracing. As my daughter says, 'We won't be aliens anymore.' "

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060702/LIVING/607020301/1007

Yep, I love those stories. Thanks yous like this one too:

http://www.babalublog.com/archives/003566.html
July 04, 2006
A Simple Piece of Parchment

Two-hundred, thirty years ago today a group of men battled it out between themselves, in debate and discussion and at times heated argument, over what would be printed on a piece of parchment. A simple piece of parchment that would hold the life and future of a new country.

A simple piece of fragile parchment; foldable, tearable, susceptable parchment made formidable by formidable men. A simple piece of parchment made necessary by the necessity of free men. A simple piece of parchment made immortal by mortal men.

A simple pliece of parchment, with notions so just, so courageous and so ideal forever inked with resolute words.

A simple piece of parchment of independent thought declared.

A Declaration of Independence. The onset of freedom on a simple piece of parchment. The first step in the quest for Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

On a simple piece of parchment, the birth of a Nation.

The United States of America. My nation. Our nation. The nation.

The greatest nation on the face of this Earth was born two-hundred, thirty years ago today. On a simple piece of parchment.

Happy Birthday to the United States of America!

Thank you for inviting this Cuban to this wonderful party. Thank you for my birthday cake slice of liberty. Thank you for letting my life be a part of this great celebration. And thank you, America, for sacrificing your sons and daughters - my brothers and sisters - to protect my Life, my Liberty and my Pursuit of Happiness.

God Bless America!

Land that I love.

Posted by Val Prieto at July 4, 2006 06:52 AM

Forum List

Back