New CIA Director?

Looks like it's so:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5658900/

Florida Republican chairs House Intelligence CommitteeMSNBC News Services
Updated: 7:45 a.m. ET Aug. 10, 2004WASHINGTON - President Bush on Tuesday will nominate Florida Republican Rep. Porter Goss as his nominee to take over the CIA, a senior administration official said.

The official said Bush would make the announcement in a morning Rose Garden ceremony before leaving on a multistate re-election campaign trip.

Goss currently chairs the House Intelligence Committee and had been considered a front-runner since the resignation earlier this year of George Tenet.

Bush’s decision comes in the wake of the president’s embrace of a key recommendation of the commission that investigated the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks: creation of a new intelligence czar to oversee the activities of the CIA and more than a dozen other intelligence agencies.

Speaking last week of the pleas for change by the 9/11 commission, Goss had said “we cannot afford to make changes blindly or in an unnecessary haste. We can ill-afford to rush to judgment any more than we can tolerate needless delay.”

Tenet’s last day was July 11, and the much-criticized agency since then has been under the leadership of acting CIA Director John McLaughlin.

From what I heard on the radio, this guy is a former field agent. That's great news - the CIA with a professional "spook" running the show!

Interesting.
Is he as intelligent as former director James Wolsey?
I enjoy catching him on TV in his consulting role.
I don't always agree with him, but he is clearly extremely well-informed.

nycflasher said:
Interesting.
Is he as intelligent as former director James Wolsey?
I enjoy catching him on TV in his consulting role.
I don't always agree with him, but he is clearly extremely well-informed.

Intelligence is, of course, very important. But experience is the key. This guys if a former MI Officer and CIA Field Agent. He KNOWS what needs to be done and how to do it and isn't just a suit that has the education, but no experience.

Havent you guys heard. its just a political move Bush has done to get the Florida vote by supporting a Floridian for the CIA director. it has nothing to do with his vast experience in the CIA.

Forum List

Back