New Chinese phones: Cheaper and good enough

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
(Did not know for sure where to put this)

You don't have to buy an Apple iPhone 6S or Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to get a decent phone anymore.

ZTE, Alcatel OneTouch and Huawei, a trio of Chinese companies you probably never heard of, have been busy at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas trying to prove that point. And while they may not offer all the bells and whistles of, say, Apple's flagship phone, they get the job done.

Increasingly, that's good enough. That's because the gap between top-of-the line and mid-tier phones is shrinking. Differences between camera quality and processor speeds, for example, are fairly small these days. Good enough has added benefit of price, since carriers now want you to pay the full cost of that spiffy, new phone right from the get-go. So where a basic iPhone 6S will set you back $650, you can spend half that for many of these Chinese phones.

It's telling that they're making a splash at CES, which isn't typically a big showcase for phones. But these companies realize the importance of getting their name out in the biggest electronics show of the year.

New Chinese phones: Cheaper and good enough - CNET

Would you use one?

Be very careful buying an Android phone from a Chinese maker, they probably won't be the latest version from Google

So, does this mean that the OP is in favor of buying products from overseas?

I thought you people were all about making America stronger and better. Buying things from overseas manufacturers doesn't help much with job creation.

Me? I buy American wherever I can, even if it costs me a bit more.

"You people"????? Who are "you people"?

ABS do you own a cell phone? If so, where was it made? You do realize most are not made in this country, right?

I am one that prefers to buy things made in the USA, but a lot of changes are going to have to be made for that to be possible again.

Hope that answers you.

Definitely don't buy an iphone. I am still digging bloody, Chinese kid fingernails out of mine..

LOL I don't own an IPhone.

I had an SG4 for a couple years. Thing was garbage for me so I went back to the iphone.

I bought a Chinese phone during my stay in China. It was a Sonny Erickson hehe. The stereo I bought for my apartment was a Pioeer and I played music through it with an mp4 player. Almost forgot about all the pirated movies that can be purchased on any street corner. I am a bit skeptical when it comes to purchasing Chinese products.

I had an SG4 for a couple years. Thing was garbage for me so I went back to the iphone.

I bought a Chinese phone during my stay in China. It was a Sonny Erickson hehe. The stereo I bought for my apartment was a Pioeer and I played music through it with an mp4 player. Almost forgot about all the pirated movies that can be purchased on any street corner. I am a bit skeptical when it comes to purchasing Chinese products.

Samsung is not Chinese tho, it is Korean.

At the end of the day; you get what you pay for.

If you want to pay $1000 for a phone, Chinese will manufacture an iphone for you(which they do).
If thats too much, and your budget is more like couple hundred, you can get one of their other phones. Huawei is a good brand, working with google, manufactured the Nexus 6P.

Average consumer will hardly know any difference between these phones anyways...

(Did not know for sure where to put this)

You don't have to buy an Apple iPhone 6S or Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to get a decent phone anymore.

ZTE, Alcatel OneTouch and Huawei, a trio of Chinese companies you probably never heard of, have been busy at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas trying to prove that point. And while they may not offer all the bells and whistles of, say, Apple's flagship phone, they get the job done.

Increasingly, that's good enough. That's because the gap between top-of-the line and mid-tier phones is shrinking. Differences between camera quality and processor speeds, for example, are fairly small these days. Good enough has added benefit of price, since carriers now want you to pay the full cost of that spiffy, new phone right from the get-go. So where a basic iPhone 6S will set you back $650, you can spend half that for many of these Chinese phones.

It's telling that they're making a splash at CES, which isn't typically a big showcase for phones. But these companies realize the importance of getting their name out in the biggest electronics show of the year.

New Chinese phones: Cheaper and good enough - CNET

Would you use one?
Alcatel is a French company.

And yes, I used a Huawei and it was very good.
Huawei Ascend P6: The best phone I had so far | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Granny don't know how to talk Chinese...

... neither does Uncle Ferd...

... don't look like we'll be buyin' a Chinese phone.

Forum List

Back