New cause of sleep deprivation: Technology

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Shadow, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Interesting article about some of the causes of sleep deprivation being linked to interactive technology.

Snip...

Sleep deprivation is rampant in offices across America, according to three recent studies, and now new research points to the likely culprit: electronics usage.

More than one out of three adults get less than 7 hours of sleep a night, and 38% report unintentionally falling asleep during the day at least once in the past month, according to the Centers for Disease Control’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Snip...

Passive technologies, like watching TV and listening to music may be more calming than interactive electronics like video games, cell phones and the internet because they tend to be less engaging. “The hypothesis is that the latter devices are more alerting and disrupt the sleep-onset process,” says Michael Gradisar, Ph.D, a co-author of the study.

Sleep Deprivation: The Surprising Causes and Solutions | BNET

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny dances in her sleep - -only she does the boog-a-loo...
    :confused:
    Disorder makes her dance in her sleep
    I tilt my head back gracefully, swan-like, and lift my arms high in the air. I bring one hand down and gently graze my arm with my fingers, then repeat the same movement with the other hand; over and over, in a languid, ballet-like dance.

3. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says now we got somethin' else to lie awake at night an' worry `bout...
    :eusa_eh:
    Poor sleep linked to heart failure, Norwegian study says
    5 March 2013 - Waking up too early and having problems settling back to sleep may have a negative impact on the heart, a study shows

4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says dat's why Uncle Ferd eats so much junk food - `cause dem womens is keepin' him up all night...
    :eusa_shifty:
    Sleep Deprivation Linked to Junk Food Cravings
    August 07, 2013 > Not getting enough sleep can lead you to eat more and gain weight, and a new study suggests the connection is caused by what happens in the sleep-deprived brain.

5. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,479
    I can believe it. There have been many nights that I've stayed up until the wee hours of the morning either playing video games, watching videos, or arguing with idiots on message boards.