New Career in Travel, well sort of.

BorisTheAnimal

It's Just Boris
Apr 26, 2013
West end of the Erie Canal
I've had a passion and love for buses and the bus industry for nearly 30 years now. I'm 48 and in the process of fulfilling that passion by becoming a motorcoach operator for Trailways of New York. I have an active application in with them right now and have had history with that company when I used to do day trips between my hometown of Buffalo and Rochester, New York. Because of a run in I had with the law back some time ago, I had to stop that. I went on to get my driver's license and pursued my Commercial Driver's License (Class-A) in 1999. I then held a job as a route delivery truck driver from 1999 to 2003, then after a 4 year stint at a dry cleaners, spent another 6-1/2 years at Graybar Electric doing route delivery there. After two years at an electrical contractor doing warehouse/delivery, I was let go based on mutual agreement and decided to pursue my passion of driving bus. But I was concerned about my old conviction but the Transit Agency where I first applied said it would not be an issue. After my first application failed, Trailways held a job fair in Rochester and guess who the first one there was? Not only did I submit my application, but I was interviewed on the spot. They want me to get my passenger endorsement, which I am working on right now, and also my Article 19-A clearance. So, hopefully by Summer, yours truly will be running 45 foot motorcoaches across New York State.

Good luck, keep going for your dreams, don't let anyone tell you no.

good luck Boris , I've been thinking of touring the USA by bus but not seriously yet . Might be that with your post i will get serious about it .

• Banned
With the recent events regarding United and now Delta Airlines, people might take a look at bus travel once again. I know Greyhound was hurt severely after the driver's strike of 1990 and the takeover by Laidlaw, but I believe First Group is helping to reshape the Dog into the icon it once was.

I've had a passion and love for buses and the bus industry for nearly 30 years now. I'm 48 and in the process of fulfilling that passion by becoming a motorcoach operator for Trailways of New York. I have an active application in with them right now and have had history with that company when I used to do day trips between my hometown of Buffalo and Rochester, New York. Because of a run in I had with the law back some time ago, I had to stop that. I went on to get my driver's license and pursued my Commercial Driver's License (Class-A) in 1999. I then held a job as a route delivery truck driver from 1999 to 2003, then after a 4 year stint at a dry cleaners, spent another 6-1/2 years at Graybar Electric doing route delivery there. After two years at an electrical contractor doing warehouse/delivery, I was let go based on mutual agreement and decided to pursue my passion of driving bus. But I was concerned about my old conviction but the Transit Agency where I first applied said it would not be an issue. After my first application failed, Trailways held a job fair in Rochester and guess who the first one there was? Not only did I submit my application, but I was interviewed on the spot. They want me to get my passenger endorsement, which I am working on right now, and also my Article 19-A clearance. So, hopefully by Summer, yours truly will be running 45 foot motorcoaches across New York State.

You're doing great. I hear they pay well also. Be careful about falling asleep at the wheel. A lot of long haulers get tired and fall asleep at the wheel and then there's a big accident. What happens is that the road hypnotizes you on long trips. Good luck.

Forum List

Back