New AZ law: Firms have no legal duty to have translators

How does getting an interpreter make anyone smarter? Seems to me we're supporting a law that makes this patient and people like her smarter by forcing her to learn a second language.
Hey, a win-win situation!

They knew the law, but they were hoping to force a settlement so that they could profit off a frivolous lawsuit. It is less expensive to settle than to fight them, and lawyers know this. In fact, his lawyer probably advised him to settle for just that reason.

Cecillie trust me she doesnt need much smarting up. She knows enough about America that she can try and sue for money to make a living. No need to learn english there, the courts will provide an interrupter.

You took the words right out of my mouth QW

PHOENIX - A Glendale optometrist's yearlong legal fight over what services he had to provide for a Spanish-speaking customer has translated into new protections for other businesses.

Gov. Jan Brewer has signed legislation affirming that nothing in state law requires businesses to provide "trained and competent" interpreters when a customer comes in speaking a language other than English.

Assistant Attorney General Michael Walker said that has probably always been the law. But that didn't save John Schrolucke from having to spend time and money defending himself and his practice before Walker's office finally dismissed the case.

Schrolucke told lawmakers the incident stems from a patient who spoke only Spanish. Although she did bring her 12-year-old child with her to the office, he said allowing the child to interpret for the parent would have gotten him into legal trouble.

He said he faced a potential malpractice lawsuit if the child did not properly translate some of the more technical explanations being provided, so he turned the woman away, telling her through her child to come back with someone at least 18 years old.

:clap2:

New AZ law: Firms have no legal duty to have translators

Assistant Attorney General Michael Walker said that has probably always been the law.

hello?
the woman filed a discrimination complaint with the Attorney General's Office.

It took the Attorney General's Office a year to figure out there had been no civil rights violation and dismiss the case.

--------------

so a stupid case never went to court?

there were issues with the discrimination arbitration hearing...it was an attempt at compromise where no one, from what I can read, ever said a law required the man hiring an interpreter.

how does one say straw man in Spanish? :eusa_whistle:

In January 2008, the Attorney General's Office concluded there had been no civil-rights violation and dismissed the case.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/abg/articles/2010/05/13/20100513abg-spanish0513.html#ixzz0oFPrVxjo

Last edited:
Dear idiots , they provide spanish to make money from spanish speakers not because there is any fucking law.

Dear fool,

The law resulted from a frivolous lawsuit by a Spanish speaker. Businesses now know where they stand.... they are not legally obligated to provide translators. This is a good thing for business. They can decide for themselves.

Your welcome.
California Girl

dear stupid, there never was an obligation to hire translators.

sniff, sniff...red herring run?

In January 2008, the Attorney General's Office concluded there had been no civil-rights violation and dismissed the case.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/abg/articles/2010/05/13/20100513abg-spanish0513.html#ixzz0oFPrVxjo

Last edited:
clarification of the law is a wonderful thing don't you think?

It sorta backfired. Im thinking the Dr. should ask for court costs!

Clarification is a great thing. No problem there.

You are thinking: Court costs?

They went to court?

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
How does getting an interpreter make anyone smarter? Seems to me we're supporting a law that makes this patient and people like her smarter by forcing her to learn a second language.
Hey, a win-win situation!

They knew the law, but they were hoping to force a settlement so that they could profit off a frivolous lawsuit. It is less expensive to settle than to fight them, and lawyers know this. In fact, his lawyer probably advised him to settle for just that reason.

Cecillie trust me she doesnt need much smarting up. She knows enough about America that she can try and sue for money to make a living. No need to learn english there, the courts will provide an interrupter.

You took the words right out of my mouth QW

I was being sarcastic.

hmmm, maybe a reading and comprehension class is needed here @ USMB? for me? for you?

Walker, who is the litigation chief of the civil rights division, offered his own apology "for what does occasionally end up as state bureaucratic confusion."

But Walker told lawmakers that his agency is legally obligated to investigate complaints of discrimination. He said the system worked - eventually - when the complaint was dismissed.

where is the case number? did they settle this before a trial? was a criminal case or civil suit ever filed? or was this an administrative issue before the state Attn's General?

Last edited:
This sounds reasonably stupid. It is already against the law and yet they felt the need to make it against the law again.

There is NO such law - and there is NO law which says you must have an interpreter. It's a courtesy call to have interpreters - not a law nor a right. If you want to communicate while living in this country, the solution is quite simple - LEARN ENGLISH.
Why are you arguing with me? There is no law that says you must have an interpreter. Never has been one.

Not arguing - just making a simple comment and observation is all. Why so touchy???

Providing interpreters is a courtesy - not a right nor a law! If you want to live here, learn english. It's that simple.

They do not do it because they are NICE, they do it to get the business of spanish speaking customers.

Jesus you people are confused

Maybe - but - now I bet that they will try NOT to seek out non-english customers for fear of being sued - just be careful what you pray for as you just might get it.

You don't need to affirm something that isn't required.
What next...will she sign legislation affirming business owners don't need to provide their customers lunch?

I beg to differ. In a country where you can sue someone for anything you feel like, clarification of the law and its specific wording in very important.
So you like a law for everything, apparently even a law that isn't needed. You must be a "conservative".
It's as if you're too determined to prove just how stupid you really are...

He should be awarded a counter-suit. The woman should face a punitive award to the Dr. for her attempted abuse of the courts to undermine his business and for his lost time and energy.

He should be awarded a counter-suit. The woman should face a punitive award to the Dr. for her attempted abuse of the courts to undermine his business and for his lost time and energy.

Did they go to court?

Where is a link to the case?

Was it an administrative thing?

---

Assistant Attorney General Michael Walker said that has probably always been the law.

hello?
the woman filed a discrimination complaint with the Attorney General's Office.

It took the Attorney General's Office a year to figure out there had been no civil rights violation and dismiss the case.

--------------

so a stupid case never went to court?

there were issues with the discrimination arbitration hearing...it was an attempt at compromise where no one, from what I can read, ever said a law required the man hiring an interpreter.

how does one say straw man in Spanish?

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ab...#ixzz0oFPrVxjo

Forum List

Back