New atheist movie 'The Ledge' evangelizes godlessness

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
New atheist movie 'The Ledge' evangelizes godlessness

t1larg.the.ledge.ifc.films.jpg

Standing on the ledge of a building as a police officer tries to talk him down, a man must make a life-changing - and potentially life-ending - decision: Should I jump?

He’s not suicidal, but he is in trouble. His decision could save two lives, while ending his. It’s the central scene in the “The Ledge,” an independently produced thriller that opens in New York and Los Angeles on Friday.

It’s a story of religion, love and revenge that pits a conservative Christian husband against an atheist who has seduced the religious man’s Christian wife.

The film is written and directed by Matthew Chapman, an outspoken atheist who says it's Hollywood’s first offering to feature an openly atheist hero in a story about religious conflict. His mission is to help create a more positive image for atheism, which he says is often misunderstood and maligned, for audiences who may otherwise not be exposed to it.

“My hope was to make an emotional appeal,” says. He hopes it’s a “Brokeback Mountain” moment for nonbelievers.

Nominated for best drama at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, "The Ledge" stars Terrence Howard, Liv Tyler, Charlie Hunnam and Patrick Wilson. Despite the all-star cast, one big question around the film is simply whether American audiences will go to an atheist-themed move.

The film is also available via the website SundanceNow.

Public opinion polling shows that the number of Americans who are unaffiliated with any religion is a growing rapidly but that only a tiny minority of identify as atheists. A recent Pew poll found that 61% of Americans say they are less likely to support a presidential candidate who does not believe in God, compared to 33% who said they were less likely to support a gay candidate.

"This suspicion about people whose only crime is not believing in things until they're proven seems weird," Chapman said. "To me, there is something much more terrifying about voting for someone who accepts things on faith without any evidence whatsoever."

Polls show that Americans are becoming more accepting of gays and lesbians, and Chapman credits movies like “Brokeback Mountain,” released in 2005, with aiding the trend.

Chapman wants atheists to take a page from that playbook.

“The gay movement has a body of work appealing to the emotions of the body it addresses," he says. "Atheists fail at this."

Chapman is a great-great grandson of Charles Darwin and has written books about the wars between religion and science, including "Trials of the Monkey: An Accidental Memoir."

It’s no surprise that a movie with an atheist hero and a Christian villain is already attracting criticism. Bill Donohue, president of the conservative Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, issued a statement this week taking aim at the film.

“People of faith, especially Catholics, are used to being trashed by Hollywood, but they are not accustomed to films that promote atheism,” Donohue said. "It was the Judeo-Christian ethos of America that accounts for the unprecedented levels of justice and freedom enjoyed by non-believers."

In response, Chapman wrote to CNN that "there are many countries where… non-believers have a far better time of it than in America.” Chapman says his target audience for the movie is Midwesterners who fall somewhere between the religious poles of conservative Christianity and atheism.

"I didn't make the film for atheists, but for people in the middle of the country questioning what it's all about," he said.

While the "The Ledge" draws bright lines between religion and atheism, S. Brent Plate, visiting professor of religious studies at Hamilton College, challenged the notion that they’re opposing forces. "What I'm interested in is the religiousness of atheism," he said.

He has yet to see the film but said he hopes it offers overlapping narratives of how people find meaning in life. "It's very sad that our ability to hold a conversation about certain topics is often reduced (to insults)," he said.

New atheist movie 'The Ledge' evangelizes godlessness – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Well, that looks about as exciting as having two LDS missionaries on your doorstep to tell you about the gospel.

Hmm, interesting, didn't hear about this until now. Interesting also that Matthew Chapman is the great great grandsom on Charles Darwin (If I'm reading this correctly?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Chapman_(author)
Matthew Chapman's mother Clare was the daughter of the philosophy professor and author Francis Cornford and poet Frances Cornford (née Darwin), and through his maternal grandmother he is a great-great grandson of Charles Darwin.

Some good actors in the film, I might check it out but the storyline sounds like a Lifetime Movie.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Seems like this director has quite an ego, thinking his movie alone could cause some huge cultural shift of opinion. I'm not sure why he thinks Brokeback Mountain and movies like it have caused people to be accepting of gays, I don't think that's even a marginal reason for it. I think it's caused by people knowing gays, and learning the old boogeyman stories about them are just flat out wrong.

Personal interaction does the best to end bigotry in my opinion, not movie watching, especially if it's not a documentary of some kind.

I thought all independent films were about gay cowboys eating pudding.

I stand corrected.

It is an atheist movie because it involves one atheist character?
Are atheists that rare in movies? If so why?

I think it's probably hard to stereotype atheists (for the movie viewer, I mean) except for the obsessive atheists, and let's face it, that sort of character probably wouldn't make very good theater.

Sounds like it might be an interesting plotline, tho

Hollywood doesn't promote athiesm? It sure as heck doesn't promote faith. What else does Hollywood promote?

I'm curious why he feels the need to evangelize. Moreover, I have to wonder why he thinks that people would have sympathy for a man who seduces another man's wife.

I highly doubt this movie will be that impactful. Especially with the hubris and condescension. Most people, believers or non-believers, don't like people talking down to them as if they are better.

Hollywood doesn't promote athiesm? It sure as heck doesn't promote faith. What else does Hollywood promote?

I'm curious why he feels the need to evangelize. Moreover, I have to wonder why he thinks that people would have sympathy for a man who seduces another man's wife.

I highly doubt this movie will be that impactful. Especially with the hubris and condescension. Most people, believers or non-believers, don't like people talking down to them as if they are better.

Hollywood certainly promotes faith more than atheism, there's no doubt about that, which I'm not complaining about. It's just capitalism, society still views christianity as more moral than atheism/agnosticism, so that idea sells for now. Thankfully it seems we're moving away from those bigotted negative assumptions about people though, just very very slowly.

Last edited:

But I bet you own Passion of the Christ on Blue Ray. :thup:

But I bet you own Passion of the Christ on Blue Ray. :thup:

Nope. Not at all. Saw it, but I found Mel Gibson's intepretation less than stellar.

Hollywood certainly promotes faith more than atheism, there's no doubt about that, which I'm not complaining about. It's just capitalism, society still views christianity as more moral than atheism/agnosticism, so that idea sells for now. Thankfully it seems we're moving away from those bigotted negative assumptions about people though, just very very slowly.

I liked your answer. It seems ironic to me that people willingly endorsing a brutal celestial dictator have the gaul to consider themselves decent or moral. The very first, and only, thing a genuinely decent and loving god would do is to resign.

Forum List

Back