New at Philosophy, and in need of some advice.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ThatDude30, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,121
    Of course you don't need to travel and experience things for yourself ... If you are satisfied with what someone else thinks about your existence.
    Society would completely fall apart if we weren't lazy enough to stop asking questions and accept what other expect of us.

2. Dajjal

Dajjal Quran buster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,522
    If you don't study the history of philosophy how will you know if your concepts have not already been thought of and refuted. If you do study the history of philosophy you will find this has happened many times, and previous concepts have been proved false. Just as you think you have learned something from an ancient philosopher, you will find a more recent philosopher has a different conclusion.
    Today it has been said that no philosopher can understand all the concepts involved in modern physics therefore modern philosophy has nothing left to do but an analysis of language..

3. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,915
    Aristotle and Plato served tyrants. They offered justification for oppression.

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,936

There are plenty of reasons (or none) beyond a self-defeating attempt at 'making' yourself something to shake the dust off your shoes. It's a small world, but it's still pretty big.

5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,936
    Don't forget, Plato was a talented wrestler!

6. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Bumped an older thread, added a couple of links for you. Most of what you need for intros is available free, so don't run around spending bucks on retreads published for the 10,000th time by some textbook hustlers. Don't waste time on rubbish like Kant or Nietzsche.

7. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,936

Hey OP: Do NOT listen to the uniformed musings of the ignorant. Don't discount any of the great Philosophers based on some yahoo on the internet.

8. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    It's the result of mindless consumerism and hedonism, a form of 'affluenza' and relatively easy living; leads to boredom and artificiality in expectations that are unrealistic and few can expect to achieve, and an infantile cynicism that is also unjustified.

9. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Don't listen to some troll who is a scat fetishist and thinks the short term internment of a few Japanese at the beginning of WW II is the moral equivalence of Hitler's gas chambers, i.e. a moron. Reading Ayer's book first will give you some basis for understanding most of the others and the arguments and some idea of the validity and points they make. You will find that most of the 'great philosophers' weren't particularly 'great' and many of the modern ones are better and make more sense. It's a overview of many of those you're interested in to begin with, and why Kant is a waste of time, as is the homosexual Nietzche who died of syphilis and was never more than merely a sheltered middle class academic who became fashionable for a while and never wrote anything worthwhile. A lot of emotionally disturbed closet cases with Daddy Issues probably think he's 'interesting', but that's about it.

The recommendation of William James and Bertrand Russell is also good as well, though I think Ayer's history is the more interesting, in that he was an 'extremist' who later kind of moderated his views due to personal experience and is informative in itself.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,936

Personal acrimony aside, the OP should not listen to anyone here, including me. Unlike the wannabe experts here, I have a degree in philosophy, but I will not presume to make a reading list or denigrate figures in the history of the science just to look like I know what I’m talking about. Everyone’s journey is their own. The OP can start anywhere and go where his interests take him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1