New and need help!

bluelifestyle

Rookie
Feb 27, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey all!
I am a college student taking a course right now called "decoding media strategies", and for my research project I am trying to measure "social capital" - a term coined my Robert Putnam - which is basically a strong sense of community.
It would really help if any of you would like to take a survey I have constructed about 2 recent events of 2009 in my attempt to measure this phenomenon. If anyone is interested please let me know!
It's great to be here, and I hope I'll be able to engage in some nice debates soon! (as soon as finals are over!! hehe)

Thanks!
Amanda

p.s. I'm not sure on how to post the link to the survey, so if anyone is interested please just reply so I can try to figure it out haha :tongue:

thank you soo much for any help! i'm still looking for about 30 people to respond, any of your guys' insight is greatly appreciated as well!!

You've got to have posted some number of times before you can post a link here.

So if you want something from this e-community you are lacking the social capital needed to do so.

Ironic isn't it?

Hey all!
I am a college student taking a course right now called "decoding media strategies", and for my research project I am trying to measure "social capital" - a term coined my Robert Putnam - which is basically a strong sense of community.
It would really help if any of you would like to take a survey I have constructed about 2 recent events of 2009 in my attempt to measure this phenomenon. If anyone is interested please let me know!
It's great to be here, and I hope I'll be able to engage in some nice debates soon! (as soon as finals are over!! hehe)

Thanks!
Amanda

p.s. I'm not sure on how to post the link to the survey, so if anyone is interested please just reply so I can try to figure it out haha :tongue:

thank you soo much for any help! i'm still looking for about 30 people to respond, any of your guys' insight is greatly appreciated as well!!

after 15 posts, you can post a link.

You've got to have posted some number of times before you can post a link here.

So if you want something from this e-community you are lacking the social capital needed to do so.

Ironic isn't it?

:lol:

The REAL Amanda! :tongue:

I've never heard social capital used that way? The usage I often hear is closer to personal connections granted by your birth in a particular area and/or class. But I guess a strong sense of community could work, it certainly does for the Amish.

UBI and the Flat Tax

"When we compare average incomes in rich nations with those in Third World countries, we find enormous differences that are surely not due simply to differences in motivations to earn. Laziness is not a principal cause of poverty. A more plausible explanation for the differences, in fact the explanation that is universally put forward, is that much greater resources per capita are available to some countries than to others. These differences are not simply a matter of acres of land or tons of coal or iron ore, but, more important, differences in social capital that takes primarily the form of stored knowledge (e.g., technology, and especially organizational and governmental skills)."

The Conservative Nanny State

Social capital is that influence one gains from having standing in a community.

Social capital is, in my opinion, probably worth more than capital, even in THIS cash-obsessed society.

Or to parphrase the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers:

Social capital will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you though times of no social capital.

Thanks for your help guys, and yes, social capital is generally considered in a smaller community setting where you have face-to-face contact with neighbors, a group, etc. That's why, in my hypothesis, I am trying to see if any type of "social capital" can exist through the mass media.

Thanks for your help guys, and yes, social capital is generally considered in a smaller community setting where you have face-to-face contact with neighbors, a group, etc. That's why, in my hypothesis, I am trying to see if any type of "social capital" can exist through the mass media.

The majority of people here don't give a rats ass about anything social. You got some money ?

Seriously though, I have seen materialization of social capital through media. Not here, but elsewhere on the net. Another MB I belong to is much more personal than this one. I adopted a dog from a member that was going through a divorce and she had no idea where she was going much less what to do with the old dog. I have a number of gifts sent to me by board members that I never met. Trading gifts is common there. I'm not the only one who has experienced that through this medium of social networking. They piss and moan a lot too and they surely wouldn't want to be the subject of any study. Already been tried. It's more like a community or family than what I see here. This place is more of an exchange of political ideas. Most of the personal stuff here is of an extremely negative variety.

Forum List

Back