New all-solid sulfur-based battery outperforms lithium-ion technology

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Scientists at the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have designed and tested an all-solid lithium-sulfur battery with approximately four times the energy density of conventional lithium-ion technologies that power today's electronics.

The ORNL battery design, which uses abundant low-cost elemental sulfur, also addresses flammability concerns experienced by other chemistries.

The new ionically-conductive cathode enabled the ORNL battery to maintain a capacity of 1200 milliamp-hours (mAh) per gram after 300 charge-discharge cycles at 60 degrees Celsius. For comparison, a traditional lithium-ion battery cathode has an average capacity between 140-170 mAh/g. Because lithium-sulfur batteries deliver about half the voltage of lithium-ion versions, this eight-fold increase in capacity demonstrated in the ORNL battery cathode translates into four times the gravimetric energy density of lithium-ion technologies, explained Liang.

Although the team's new battery is still in the demonstration stage, Liang and his colleagues hope to see their research move quickly from the laboratory into commercial applications. A patent on the team's design is pending.

Imagine a electric car with 4 times the range!

Last edited:

Scientists at the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have designed and tested an all-solid lithium-sulfur battery with approximately four times the energy density of conventional lithium-ion technologies that power today's electronics.

The ORNL battery design, which uses abundant low-cost elemental sulfur, also addresses flammability concerns experienced by other chemistries.

The new ionically-conductive cathode enabled the ORNL battery to maintain a capacity of 1200 milliamp-hours (mAh) per gram after 300 charge-discharge cycles at 60 degrees Celsius. For comparison, a traditional lithium-ion battery cathode has an average capacity between 140-170 mAh/g. Because lithium-sulfur batteries deliver about half the voltage of lithium-ion versions, this eight-fold increase in capacity demonstrated in the ORNL battery cathode translates into four times the gravimetric energy density of lithium-ion technologies, explained Liang.

Although the team's new battery is still in the demonstration stage, Liang and his colleagues hope to see their research move quickly from the laboratory into commercial applications. A patent on the team's design is pending.

Imagine a electric car with 4 times the range!

Yes, thank you for posting. Maybe now, for sure someday but it is coming.

I own an 18v battery weed eater that does just fine on my 1.18 acres as long as I trim regularly and charge both its and my matching drill battery as well. This could make the difference there.

• Banned
Can you just imagine Eons musks super chargers that can charge in around 20 minutes with over 600 mile range? If these cars could be sold for under 45k. People would be insane to buy anything else.

There will come a time when people start thinking of the gas engine as the inferior choice. This helps speed that up into warp drive.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Sulfur-based tech the answer to burnable lithium-ion batteries?

Scientists with the Department of Energy have designed a new type of battery that they say outpaces the ubiquitous lithium-ion batteries in flammability, cost, and ability to hold a charge.

We've all heard stories about exploding cell phone and laptop batteries. A person is just walking down the street with his phone in his pocket and next thing he know his pants are ablaze.

The specific culprit batteries that cause such fiery incidents are lithium-ion batteries, which are known to have issues with heat. So, why can't there be chargeable batteries that are immune to overheating? There may be.

Though scientists have been working for decades on a fix for lithium-ion battery debacles, it wasn't until recently that ORNL was able to figure out how to create an all-solid battery that combines a sulfur-rich cathode, lithium anode, and solid electrolyte material. Lithium-ion batteries use liquid electrolytes, which are what cause the flammability issues.

"Sulfur is practically free," Liang said. "Not only does sulfur store much more energy than the transition metal compounds used in lithium-ion battery cathodes, but a lithium-sulfur device could help recycle a waste product into a useful technology."
Sulfur-based tech the answer to burnable lithium-ion batteries? | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Another benefit of this battery is that they don't over heat.

Last edited:
So much hype ---- so little time.. I think I have an article breathlessly guessing that Musk was gonna charge a Model in 2 minutes. Only slightly ignoring the need for a Nuclear Power to obtain that much energy in so little time. Writing checks he can't cash... He's GOOD.. He's not that good..

Tesla Model S Range and Charging: Some Clarifications | PluginCars.com

Speaking of Tesla range, how many miles do you get for 20 minutes on the company’s new 120-kilowatt Superchargers? In a conference call, CEO Elon Musk said such a charge will yield three hours of driving. “You can charge up to two-thirds in just over 20 minutes,” Musk said. “That means driving for three hours, stopping the normal amount of time on a road trip, grabbing food, and getting back on the road.” That claim is repeated here.

Ah, but Paul Mutolo, a fuel-cell chemist and director of external partnerships at Cornell University’s Energy Materials Center, says that, using Tesla’s own data, he comes up with a 20-minute charge range of only 141 miles. “You get 4.4 miles per kilowatt-hour added to the battery,” Mutolo said. In 20 minutes, you’re only going to get three hours of driving if you’re average speed is 47 mph.” In other words, don’t expect three hours of travel on the limited-access highways hosting the Superchargers.

There’s no doubt that you’d get a full charge in an hour from a Supercharger, but who wants to spend an hour at a rest area, even if it has a restaurant? This is about topping up and heading out. Tesla’s Hendriks tells me, “The whole idea of Supercharging is that it takes the same amount of time to Supercharge your battery as it does to stop for a quick bite to eat and a pit stop.”

So you're filling up only half of the Tesla tank in 20 minutes with a very expensive 120 KWatt feed. That's NOT gonna come from solar as he had implied. And CERTAINLY not at night.

Now the new battery chemistry MAY BE an excellent improvement. I'll reserve judgement. But in the meantime -- look for fuel cells to re-emerge as the solution to all the EV problems.. Hydrogen IS a better fuel, completely clean, and fast refills. And unlike batteries, Hydrogen ITSELF is the storage device. So I'm buying Korean car companies that pledge to have hydrogen fuel cars as a commodity in 5 years. Better investment. AND the hydrogen opens a real use for solar and wind because it can be produced opportunistically during the day/night cycle and stored as useful energy. Better Pizza, Better Engineering, Papa Johns..

Last edited:
Let's hear the down side. Oh ya--science never tells ya that til it's too late.

What's the added downside? :confused:

Eon musk will likely be able to charge one of these with one of his super charges in 20 minutes. Is it longer then filling up the tank? YES. But 600 instead of 150 will make it worth the longer wait.

Yo Mr. Science guy. Everything has a down side.

Let's hear the down side. Oh ya--science never tells ya that til it's too late.

Eon musk will likely be able to charge one of these with one of his super charges in 20 minutes. Is it longer then filling up the tank? YES. But 600 instead of 150 will make it worth the longer wait.

Are there negatives? YES. Simply that most people will rely on the grid to power their cars. This means that if the power go's out=opps.

Besides that I don't see to many negatives.

You can thank science for
-Your computer
-Your electricy
-Your longer life
-Higher standards of life you enjoy
-million other things

I have a nice buggy for sell. In the meantime, the rest of us will move on into the future.

Yes, the charging stations that Mr. Musk will put up will be connected to the grid. And, when no one is charging, they will put power on the grid, and when several are charging, they will pull power off the grid. And, as others extend the range of their vehicles, they will adapt the type of plug in and charging system from Tesla, and use the Tesla stations.

It's a very rare day that my car doesn't sit in the garage for 8 hours. Something like 75% of the miles driven in the US are less than 50 mile round trips.

We just need to get rid of the cultural belief that we are all entitled to a single car that meets all of our needs, and that rentals are only for business.

Are there negatives? YES. Simply that most people will rely on the grid to power their cars. This means that if the power go's out=opps.

-Your computer
-Your electricy
-Your longer life
-million other things

like providing our govt with the tools to spy on us with ? You don't get this do you ?

I have a nice buggy for sell. In the meantime, the rest of us will move on into the future.

Yes, the charging stations that Mr. Musk will put up will be connected to the grid. And, when no one is charging, they will put power on the grid, and when several are charging, they will pull power off the grid. And, as others extend the range of their vehicles, they will adapt the type of plug in and charging system from Tesla, and use the Tesla stations.

what are they going to put power on the grid with ?

-Your computer
-Your electricy
-Your longer life
-million other things

like providing our govt with the tools to spy on us with ? You don't get this do you ?

What the fuck does that have to do with this topic asshole? Why not go live out in the fucking forest or on top of a mountain if you hate civilization this much...Jeezzzz.

I know you hate science and technology but you're using it. Hypercritic!

BTW: with hydrogen produced from renewables, there is NO GRID EXPANSION required to shift vehicles to electric.. Engineering wise -- hydrogen fuel cells are the hands down choice..

BTW: with hydrogen produced from renewables, there is NO GRID EXPANSION required to shift vehicles to electric.. Engineering wise -- hydrogen fuel cells are the hands down choice..

At present, the batteries outdo the hydrogen storage available. I have nothing at all against the idea of hydrogen fuel cells. But at present, lithium ion batteries have a higher energy storage rate at a reasonable cost than any hydrogen storage that is presently available.

At present, the batteries outdo the hydrogen storage available. I have nothing at all against the idea of hydrogen fuel cells. But at present, lithium ion batteries have a higher energy storage rate at a reasonable cost than any hydrogen storage that is presently available.
]

Absolute BullCrap.. The tank capacity is limited by space and compression.. Easily 400 mile range. And to extend that range, you just need a larger tank -- not expensive batteries. And I have no earthly idea how you get off with "a higher energy storage rate".
Rate implies "charging" or "discharging" and I can do both much quicker with a Nat Gas or Hydrogen Fuel cell.

Please read the San Jose Merc article I posted at: http://www.usmessageboard.com/7342875-post654.html before embarrassing yourself some more..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back