Never Trust A Man Who Mistreats Dogs

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
I'm an independent who usually votes for Democrats. I wouldn't vote for Mitt no matter what. But even if I were a Republican, the mere fact that Mitt would treat his own dog like this, would keep me from voting for that emotionless robot. I'm an animal lover. I would never even think of doing this to any of my pets. I'm not bringing this up thinking that it will hurt him politically. It didn't then; I'm sure it won't now. But it is very telling of what type of person he is. This writer hits it right on the nose.

What our fascination with Mitt Romney?s dog Seamus says about our culture - Boston.com

Sometime during a 12-hour drive from Boston to Canada in 1983, Mitt’s oldest son, Tagg, noticed a brown liquid running down the rear window of the family station wagon. Realizing the liquid was being discharged by their dog, Mitt pulled off the highway and into a gas station, borrowed a hose to wash down Seamus and the car, and then returned the dog to his rooftop carrier for the duration of the trip. Most media reports have accurately relayed those basics. However, exaggerations and faulty assumptions have been advanced, most notably by New York Times columnist Gail Collins, who has trotted out the ghost of poor Seamus in more than 30 of her pieces since 2007.

To me, Romney’s critics have focused on the wrong part of the anecdote. It’s not that Romney put his dog on the roof. Remember how different standards were in 1983. Back then, I was a kid sloshing around in the cargo section of my family’s station wagon, competing with my equally unbuckled younger sister to see how many passing truck drivers we could get to pull their horns. I’ll take the Romneys at their word that Seamus loved his alfresco rides. Hell, my dog loves doing all kinds of things I don’t, chief among them luxuriating in the stink of other dogs’ duffs. What is beyond debate, though, is that this far into this particular trip, Seamus had ceased enjoying his ride. Faced with such irrefutable evidence, most people, I suspect, would have relented and let the ailing dog cram into the back of the wagon, even if logic dictated that cleaning up a repeat episode of his gastric distress would be a whole lot messier than if he were returned to the roof.

Last edited:
Never trust a man who loots American companies and ships their jobs overseas.

I'm an independent who usually votes for Democrats. I wouldn't vote for Mitt no matter what. But even if I were a Republican, the mere fact that Mitt would treat his own dog like this, would keep me from voting for that emotionless robot. I'm an animal lover. I would never even think of doing this to any of my pets. I'm not bringing this up thinking that it will hurt him politically. It didn't then; I'm sure it won't now. But it is very telling of what type of person he is. This writer hits it right on the nose.

What our fascination with Mitt Romney?s dog Seamus says about our culture - Boston.com

Sometime during a 12-hour drive from Boston to Canada in 1983, Mitt’s oldest son, Tagg, noticed a brown liquid running down the rear window of the family station wagon. Realizing the liquid was being discharged by their dog, Mitt pulled off the highway and into a gas station, borrowed a hose to wash down Seamus and the car, and then returned the dog to his rooftop carrier for the duration of the trip. Most media reports have accurately relayed those basics. However, exaggerations and faulty assumptions have been advanced, most notably by New York Times columnist Gail Collins, who has trotted out the ghost of poor Seamus in more than 30 of her pieces since 2007.

To me, Romney’s critics have focused on the wrong part of the anecdote. It’s not that Romney put his dog on the roof. Remember how different standards were in 1983. Back then, I was a kid sloshing around in the cargo section of my family’s station wagon, competing with my equally unbuckled younger sister to see how many passing truck drivers we could get to pull their horns. I’ll take the Romneys at their word that Seamus loved his alfresco rides. Hell, my dog loves doing all kinds of things I don’t, chief among them luxuriating in the stink of other dogs’ duffs. What is beyond debate, though, is that this far into this particular trip, Seamus had ceased enjoying his ride. Faced with such irrefutable evidence, most people, I suspect, would have relented and let the ailing dog cram into the back of the wagon, even if logic dictated that cleaning up a repeat episode of his gastric distress would be a whole lot messier than if he were returned to the roof.

You must have really bitched and moaned about LBJ with what he was doing to his dog on cameras.
http://howdyyall.com/Texas/TodaysNews/index.cfm?GetItem=64

• Banned
I have to kind of cringe on this one.

I mean, everyone here knows I never have a good thing to say about Romney, but this is kind of a cheap shot.

If he was naive and made a mistake, fine. I could get past it if he'd admit that it was a stupid thing to do and showed remorse. But he didn't do either. In fact, during an interview with Fox News back in 2007, the question came up and he doubled down on it. The man lacks compassion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5II0ZBCuA]Romney ties his dog to the roof of his car in an airtight kennel?! - YouTube[/ame]

Hmm...appreciate the story, but have to reserve judgement because at least the Romney pet was a major part of the family's life way back in the 80's, when my own dog was relegated to acres of farmland and a doghouse-albeit comfortable--outside, with zero chance of a ride in the family car.

I mean, everyone here knows I never have a good thing to say about Romney, but this is kind of a cheap shot.

If he was naive and made a mistake, fine. I could get past it if he'd admit that it was a stupid thing to do and showed remorse. But he didn't do either. In fact, during an interview with Fox News back in 2007, the question came up and he doubled down on it. The man lacks compassion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5II0ZBCuA]Romney ties his dog to the roof of his car in an airtight kennel?! - YouTube[/ame]

I'll give you that the man lacks compassion, which I think is going to be his ultimate undoing in this race.

But it seems like a petty complaint. And if I, pretty much the President of the Romney-haters of America is willing to give him a pass on this one, maybe everyone else should.

There are so many VALID things to go after this guy on, left and right.

I'll give you that the man lacks compassion, which I think is going to be his ultimate undoing in this race.

But it seems like a petty complaint. And if I, pretty much the President of the Romney-haters of America is willing to give him a pass on this one, maybe everyone else should.

I hear you. You're right, there are more important issues. I'm not going to pretend like this is more important than say, his views on tax policy or national defense; but to me, a person's treatment of animals is a window into their soul. Believe me, if this man becomes president, this aspect of his character will be the least if my concerns.

What is beyond debate, though, is that this far into this particular trip, Seamus had ceased enjoying his ride.
prove it.
Probably it had something to do with the fact that he was shitting uncontrollably all over his car carrier.

And, he was shitting uncontrollably because he was in real physical distress. Remember that this was on an open highway, speeds greater than what we drive now although 55 or 60 would have the same physical affect.

According to a vet's statement I read, they dog probably came close to death.

This was not like letting your dog hang his head out the window. Traveling at that speed, the buffeting would have had a physical affect on the dog's head and brain.

No, he was not having a good time.

Worse, when Romney saw that the dog was so distressed that he had lost control of his bowels, he actually took a hose to the dog and then returned the wet and freezing dog to the roof of the car for several more hours.

HOW can anyone excuse this behavior?

So your saying that a man who gives his inheritence to charity as well as much of the money he earned lacks compassion?

Would a man who lacks compassion do this:

Mitt Romney's Got the Right Stuff for 2008

Mitt Romney was faced with a crisis in July 1996. The 14-year-old daughter of Robert Gay, a partner in Romney's new venture capital firm, Bain Capital, had disappeared. As it turned out, she had attended a rave party in New York City and had become high on ecstasy. Three days later, her distraught father had no idea where she was.

Romney took immediate action. He closed down the entire firm and asked all 30 partners and employees to fly to New York to try to find Gay's daughter.

Romney set up a command center in a conference room at the LaGuardia Marriott just outside Manhattan. He hired a private detective firm to assist with the search and established a toll-free number for tips, coordinating the effort with the New York City Police Department, but he still wasn't satisfied. He raced through his Rolodex and called everyone Bain did business with in New York. He asked them to help his company find their friend's missing daughter.

The company's accounting firm, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and its law firm, put up posters on street poles with a photo of the missing teenager. Cashiers at Duane Reade Pharmacies, which was owned by Bain Capital, put fliers in the bag of each shopper.

Romney and others from the Bain Capital posse trudged through every part of New York, even scouring Central Park, and talked with everyone they could - prostitutes, drug addicts - anyone who may have seen her. They also made rounds at the local nightclubs at 3 a.m., hoping someone somewhere could identify her.

The same day the Romney team came to New York, the hunt made the evening news. Television cameras showed photos of the girl and video of investment banker types prowling through Central Park.

The next day, a teenage boy she was with phoned in. He asked if there was a reward. But the boy got nervous and quickly hung up. Luckily, the police traced the call to a home in Montville Township, N.J.

Gay's daughter, when they found her in the basement of that home, was shivering through detox after a massive dose of ecstasy. Doctors later told Gay that he was indeed fortunate - his daughter probably would not have lasted another day.

"It was the most amazing thing, and I'll never forget this to the day I die," Gay says, adding of Romney's intervention, "I'm not sure we would have gotten her back without him."

It is often during a crisis that we gain insight into a person's real character. Romney's action demonstrated leadership, loyalty, and selflessness - attributes that Americans just might like to see in a president of the United States

Yes. People who lack compassion give up their time and money to do that.

You really need to take the hated out of your vision and look at reality.

Never trust a man who loots American companies and ships their jobs overseas.

Never trust a man who doesn't love his Mother....

Never trust a man who loots American companies and ships their jobs overseas, doesn't love his Mother, AND thinks its okay to torture his dog.

BTW, I read that his stone cold sons thought this was just fine too.

Apparently, this complete lack of empathy and basic kindness runs in his family.

Forum List

Back