Never heard of the Coen Brothers before the re-make ofTrue Grit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
apparantly big-stuff with Gen X and beyond

I have fond memories of the Mitchell Brothers

Nobody was clammoring for a re-make ofTrue Grit - I wasn't anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing True Grit, I have enjoyed much of the Coen Brothers' work and I want to see if it stays closer to the novel than it's predecessor.

I'm looking forward to seeing True Grit, I have enjoyed much of the Coen Brothers' work and I want to see if it stays closer to the novel than it's predecessor.

I was going to see it last weekend. It was sold out as I was halfway through the line at the theater. I'll probably see it myself at the tail end of this weekend or next week when the theater will be empty. :lol:

I was going to see it last weekend. It was sold out as I was halfway through the line at the theater. I'll probably see it myself at the tail end of this weekend or next week when the theater will be empty. :lol:

I'll be waiting for the blue ray. That way I can watch the original and the new back to back.

The Best Acting Oscar that John Wayne got for True Grit was a sympathy/makeup gesture.

Sort of a lifetime achievement award.

Far from his best work.

was a lean year

Doesn't quite answer my question. The only other competition he had was Midnight Cowboy which if I remember correctly was a good film but not sure if the acting was better. If he deserved it for that year, then he deserved it. He may of deserved more in the past previously, but that doesn't mean they simply gave him a oscar.

At least Wayne showed up to accept his Oscar - unlike granddstanders like Brando and George C. Scott

It was a lean year.

Best actor nominations 1969:

Richard Burton, Anne of the Thousand Days

Dustin Hoffman, Midnight Cowboy

Peter O'Toole, Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Jon Voight, Midnight Cowboy

John Wayne, True Grit

Of those five, Dustin Hoffman's performance was deserving of a win, as was Wayne's. Voight's performance was certainly worthy of the nomination. As much as I love Peter O'Toole, and as much as I like the movie Goodbye Mr. Chips, not his best work. I can't speak to Burton, I don't really remember the performance or the film.

For me, Wayne's best work was his last film, The Shootist.

It was a lean year.

John Wayne, True Grit

Of those five, Dustin Hoffman's performance was deserving of a win, as was Wayne's. Voight's performance was certainly worthy of the nomination. As much as I love Peter O'Toole, and as much as I like the movie Goodbye Mr. Chips, not his best work. I can't speak to Burton, I don't really remember the performance or the film.

Burton was nominated for 5 Best Actors never won.- Anne ofthousand Days was forgettable.

Perf in Whose Afraid of Virgina Woolf was voted the best acting perf during the entire decade of the 1960s in some poll of the experts.

Got screwed.. Liz was pissed/irate......................................

Was some talk that you couldnt give Best Actor Oscars to a husband and wife team -that Liz and Dick were just playing themselves in Virginia Woolf...

Just give the freaking awards to the best perf.................

Last edited:
It was a lean year.

John Wayne, True Grit

I think Hoffman lost because of vote splitting by people who liked Midnight Cowboy. If he alone had been nominated, I believe he'd have won.

It was a lean year.

John Wayne, True Grit

Hoffman should have fucking won.

He was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back