Never Forget Molly Pitcher

Sep 12, 2008
She marched with her husband, an artillerist, during the American revolution. When her husband was killed at his gun, she took over his position.
molly-pitcher.jpg

molly_pitcher.jpg

Battle of Monmouth.....100 degrees out

Many women actually did similar tasks during the war

Several instances during the revolution where women served for a long time before they were caught. Molly was the most famous.

I live a few miles from Route 11 where it intersects Hwy 81 here in Pennsylvania and it's named Molly Pitcher Highway. Apparently she's buried in Carlisle PA. But this was all news to me, thanks for posting it!

Molly Pitcher

Few people realize the debt this nation owes to the partisans of New Jersey.

When the Brits were holed up in New York and Washington in Valley Forge, it was the local boys of the Garden State who prevented the Brits from getting the supplies they needed to shuffle down to VF and crush the then, moibund US Continental Army (which was down to about 7,000 guys if memory serves me)

Those boys fought an guerilla war that kept Howe (I think it Howe at the time, wasn't it? Somebody here will probably know, and can please correct me if I'm wrong) in NYC.

My point here is those boys were NOT really part of the Continental army. they probably weren't even paid for their service

They were irregulars and they truly SAVED this nation from defeat.

Last edited:
Several instances during the revolution where women served for a long time before they were caught. Molly was the most famous.

Women marched along with the armies of both sides. They helped cook, did wash and served as nurses after the battle.

Many people think Milly Pitcher was bringing water for the thirsty troops (it was 100 degrees). In fact, she was fetching water for the cannons. After you fire a cannon you have to swab the barrel with water to put out any burning embers and allow you to load gunpowder for the next round.
By bringing water for the cannons, she was familiar with the roles of each person on a cannon crew

Fetching water was pretty hard work in itself. It is heavy stuff. Anyone who has gone camping at a place you had to depend on creek or well water can attest to this.

And it was important that they drink the stuff doing that kind of work.

She marched with her husband, an artillerist, during the American revolution. When her husband was killed at his gun, she took over his position.
molly-pitcher.jpg

molly_pitcher.jpg

Did you know;
Her Husband passed out from the heat,then she took over in loading the cannon.
Did you know that she was 7 months pregnant at the time? Can you imagine? The strengh of that woman? Extreme heat and pregnant - men were passing out - they could'nt take the heat yet she could.
This is the spirt we need again to get government under control.:clap2:

Did you know;
Her Husband passed out from the heat,then she took over in loading the cannon.
Did you know that she was 7 months pregnant at the time? Can you imagine? The strengh of that woman? Extreme heat and pregnant - men were passing out - they could'nt take the heat yet she could.
This is the spirt we need again to get government under control.

She was carrying water....it might have made a difference

I thought Molly Pitcher was the lady that took an ax
and gave her father 40 wacks,
When she saw what she had done
she gave her mother 41.

Guess I need to bone up on my history a little bit.

she gave her mother 41.

Nah!

That must have been Molly Hatchet.

Metal heads! They're a dangerous breed.

she gave her mother 41.

Nah!

That must have been Molly Hatchet.

Metal heads! They're a dangerous breed.

Didn't Molly Hatchet bust up kegs of beer?

Forum List

Back