Never Forget Clara Barton

Sep 12, 2008
200px-Clarabartonwcbbrady.jpg

The founder of the American Red Cross started out as a volunteer nurse in the first days of the civil war. By the end of the war she was in charge of nursing for the entire Army of the James and the Army of the Potomac.

After the war she helped notify families of those who had died in Andersonville and helped establish the American Red Cross as a source of general succor for all disasters.

She went to Turkey during the Armenian massacres and managed relief there.

During her nursing duties she was close enough to the front lines that balls passed through her clothing.

200px-Clarabartonwcbbrady.jpg

The founder of the American Red Cross started out as a volunteer nurse in the first days of the civil war. By the end of the war she was in charge of nursing for the entire Army of the James and the Army of the Potomac.

After the war she helped notify families of those who had died in Andersonville and helped establish the American Red Cross as a source of general succor for all disasters.

She went to Turkey during the Armenian massacres and managed relief there.

During her nursing duties she was close enough to the front lines that balls passed through her clothing.

Great.

We took our children to the Red Cross-Clara Barton Tour in Maryland....they go badges, and learned a great deal...

Clara Barton was born and raised in Charlton, MA which is not far from where I live. Her home is a national landmark and is open to the public at times. I drive by there occasionally but I've never been inside.

My nomination for the lady who ought not to be forgotten is Madam Curie.

Marie Skłodowska Curie (7 November 1867 – 4 July 1934) was a Polish–French physicist–chemist famous for her pioneering research on radioactivity. She was the first person honored with two Nobel Prizes[1]—in physics and chemistry. She was the first female professor at the University of Paris. She was the first woman to be entombed on her own merits (in 1995) in the Paris Panthéon.
She was born Maria Salomea Skłodowska in Warsaw, in Russian Poland, and lived there to age twenty-four. In 1891 she followed her older sister Bronisława to study in Paris, where she earned her higher degrees and conducted her subsequent scientific work. She shared her Nobel Prize in Physics (1903) with her husband Pierre Curie (and with Henri Becquerel). Her daughter Irène Joliot-Curie and son-in-law, Frédéric Joliot-Curie, would similarly share a Nobel Prize. She was the sole winner of the 1911 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, and is the only woman to win in two fields, and the only person to win in multiple sciences.

source WIKI

Forum List

Back