Never Buy A Carrier Furnace

I got a carrier furnace about 14-15 years ago and I've had no problems at all.

I'm in Minnesota so it MUST be dependable!

I got the one without all the electronics and NOT super-duper efficient...I love the thing!

As long as I wait for it to turn off before replacing the filter...I have no problems...try to replace the filter with the fan blowing & yeah...I could see having problems then.

Mine is about 9 years old. Intelligent "learning" control, 3-stage AC compressor, 3-stage burner, uses Puron instead of Freon. If it weren't for the stupid filter thing, I'd be pretty happy with it, my heating and cooling bills are about half what my old furnace was and most of the time you don't even know its running, really small, but the whole filter thing, the ONE PART where the owner deals with, is designed like crap and the whole idea that they leave out the one part you need to make it work easy, then try to stick it to you, stinks.

Our 18 year old Kitchenaid built in refrig bit the dirt not long ago.
I figured a couple thousand at most......boy was I wrong!!!!
7K later we have our new shiny fridge.....which promptly broke down one month later. Now the Ice maker is acting up,and on the subject of the ice maker?
You better like crushed ice because even on the cube setting you're gonna get crushed ice...just slightly larger than the actual crushed ice setting.

They put way to many gizmos on new appliances.
I can hook my Fuken fridge to the internet Fer Fukes Sake!!!!!
Who does that!?

Kitchenaid generally makes real good stuff. I have their dishwasher and Washer. Amana makes a better fridge though, but I've never seen one icemaker that is reliable. I shut mine off years ago.

Still use the ice maker but I have to fish it out of the bin if I want cubes.

Our 18 year old Kitchenaid built in refrig bit the dirt not long ago.
I figured a couple thousand at most......boy was I wrong!!!!
7K later we have our new shiny fridge.....which promptly broke down one month later. Now the Ice maker is acting up,and on the subject of the ice maker?
You better like crushed ice because even on the cube setting you're gonna get crushed ice...just slightly larger than the actual crushed ice setting.

They put way to many gizmos on new appliances.
I can hook my Fuken fridge to the internet Fer Fukes Sake!!!!!
Who does that!?

Kitchenaid generally makes real good stuff. I have their dishwasher and Washer. Amana makes a better fridge though, but I've never seen one icemaker that is reliable. I shut mine off years ago.
The icemaker in my mother's Kenmore fridge ran with no trouble for 25 years.

The old one didnt have any problems either...until the compressor finally died.

I bought a new, state of the art Carrier central heat & AC several years ago. At the time I thought it was the best of the brands based on everything I could read. But the reality:
  1. The wall control is designed for looks rather than functionality. 90% of the features are unneeded, all the buttons are hidden and it just took me a minute or so to again find by trial and error where the OFF button was (something I rarely use).
  2. Since buying it, the AC has broken down needing service twice (though both were covered for free).
  3. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down.
  4. Unlike old furnaces, if you are cold and turn the heat up, the fan doesn't come on high. It tries to run slow for like 15 minutes heating the house at a whisper to keep energy use down while you freeze.
  5. When it runs on high, the fan speed constantly wavers up and down because the existing duct work in the house doesn't quite suit its "intelligent" computer rather than simply settle on a speed which is a best match for the ducting.
  6. The air filter is a massive paper cartridge. The compartment it goes into is covered with sharp edges it catches onto. Putting it in is no problem, but last I removed, I literally had to DESTROY the filter to get it out, taking it out in pieces.
  7. Last time, I put a heavy wide tape over everything hoping that would fix the problem. A year ago the furnace said to replace the filter but of course, my store had every size but that one.
  8. I just decided to pull the filter and shake it or hose it out to at least clean it. Nothing to grab hold of to remover it, tried putting a big piece of 2" clear tape on it as a handle to pull it out with but the tape just pulls off; using two screwdrivers, again, get the filter to within a 1/4" of coming out and it just stops, caught on something. CANNOT get the filter out without destroying it.
  9. Had the furnace guy here once about it and guess what? Carrier makes this big plastic frame that the filter goes into! Put the filter into it and it then slides in and out like a dream! Except the $5,000 furnace DOESN'T COME WITH THAT and you have to buy that separate and they want $80 for the stupid thing!
So guess what Carrier? You can go suck my ass. I'd sooner let hell freeze over than pay you $80 for something that should have been included in the first place for your piece of shit stamped filter box. I'll let this damn thing burn up before I buy another filter or go through the hell I went through the last time digging it out.

MY MISTAKE: When buying an appliance like this, always insist on at least 5, preferably 10 previous customers who have had the product at least 1-2 years and talk to them first before buying.

That sucks!
I always thought Carrier was a good choice as well.

Can you make your own tabs to pull em out?
Maybe out of some coat hanger or something?
They make a tool.for that. Amazon has them for $10.00

Dont tell me.
Tell Toobfreak.

I bought a new, state of the art Carrier central heat & AC several years ago. At the time I thought it was the best of the brands based on everything I could read. But the reality:
  1. The wall control is designed for looks rather than functionality. 90% of the features are unneeded, all the buttons are hidden and it just took me a minute or so to again find by trial and error where the OFF button was (something I rarely use).
  2. Since buying it, the AC has broken down needing service twice (though both were covered for free).
  3. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down.
  4. Unlike old furnaces, if you are cold and turn the heat up, the fan doesn't come on high. It tries to run slow for like 15 minutes heating the house at a whisper to keep energy use down while you freeze.
  5. When it runs on high, the fan speed constantly wavers up and down because the existing duct work in the house doesn't quite suit its "intelligent" computer rather than simply settle on a speed which is a best match for the ducting.
  6. The air filter is a massive paper cartridge. The compartment it goes into is covered with sharp edges it catches onto. Putting it in is no problem, but last I removed, I literally had to DESTROY the filter to get it out, taking it out in pieces.
  7. Last time, I put a heavy wide tape over everything hoping that would fix the problem. A year ago the furnace said to replace the filter but of course, my store had every size but that one.
  8. I just decided to pull the filter and shake it or hose it out to at least clean it. Nothing to grab hold of to remover it, tried putting a big piece of 2" clear tape on it as a handle to pull it out with but the tape just pulls off; using two screwdrivers, again, get the filter to within a 1/4" of coming out and it just stops, caught on something. CANNOT get the filter out without destroying it.
  9. Had the furnace guy here once about it and guess what? Carrier makes this big plastic frame that the filter goes into! Put the filter into it and it then slides in and out like a dream! Except the $5,000 furnace DOESN'T COME WITH THAT and you have to buy that separate and they want $80 for the stupid thing!
So guess what Carrier? You can go suck my ass. I'd sooner let hell freeze over than pay you $80 for something that should have been included in the first place for your piece of shit stamped filter box. I'll let this damn thing burn up before I buy another filter or go through the hell I went through the last time digging it out.

MY MISTAKE: When buying an appliance like this, always insist on at least 5, preferably 10 previous customers who have had the product at least 1-2 years and talk to them first before buying.

That sucks!

Dont tell me.
Tell Toobfreak.
He's too stupid to take the advice.

That sucks!

Dont tell me.
Tell Toobfreak.
There is no such tool. Creepy is the only tool here. If such a "tool" actually existed, he would have simply linked us to it, you know, actually trying to contribute to a thread for a change and be helpful to his fellow man.

Tards make shit up then tell you to go find it yourself. Just one more Tard game so they can say:
  1. I got better things to do.
  2. I can't help it you're too stupid to find it.
Comes from being born a preemie as a child and not getting all his vitamins from his mothers milk.

3. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down
Our dealer said we needed a new motor($$$), but the problem was something too near a side panel that was contacting it like a drumstick on a drum. We got another service. He bent something back. No more contact. No more noise.

Forum List

Back