Never attempt

Sep 8, 2009
n. carolina
to take a 97lb dog, a 68lb dog, and two cats to the vet at the same time!!! What a fun time was had by all. The cats weren't such a problem as they were confined in a carrier. You ever try to manhandle 165lbs of dog(s) in a room full of new smells, new people to lick, and other dogs?

Now, the pressing question is.....my big dawg needs his claws clipped. He has an aversion to ANYONE, including myself, who he pretty much allows to do anything to him, except his claws, messing with his feet. I don't know if he's had someone hurt him before or what. I told the Vet that he would probably have to be muzzled for a stranger to be able to do it. Needless to say, after listening to him cry for 10 minutes like they were killing him the Vet stopped trying. Told me that he would have to sedate him to be able to get it done without traumatizing him. Gotta tell you, I was in tears listening to him. This is one of my babies we're talking about!! I was impressed with the fact that the Vet did stop trying and was concerned about how it was affecting him though. My question is, has anyone else experienced this kind of unmitigated terror in their dogs over having their claws clipped? If so, how did you overcome it? The groomer at the Vets office told me to walk him on the road about three times a week to keep them filed down. His claws aren't so long that they cause HIM problems, but they're hell on me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

use a dermal tool to grind them down...do it away from the other animals...get the vet to give you valium for the dog....put it in the dogfood the morning you plan to do it...

i take a 100 lbs and 75 dog to the vet along with 2 cats...the key is carriers for the cats and just hope for the dogs....my 100 lb dog will not enter a kennel crate....he has to have his own room. i am lucky my vet has a huge office and they just put him in a room.

Strollin, I got the Pedi Paws thingy and have been working to get him used to the sound and all in the hopes I can finally use it one day. I honestly think something bad must have happened in regards to his feet before he came to live with us. He freaks. Can't see drugging my dogs. I know it's probably perfectly safe and all but I just wouldn't feel right. I'll try what the groomer suggested and walk him down the road a two or three days a week see if that helps.

LOL "hope for the dogs". This was the first time at this particular Vets office so it was the newness that made them so hard to deal with. That and I think my big dawg fell head over heels in love with a cute little female beagle that was there. I like to never got him to leave the building after their shots and checkup. The cats were no problem at all. They're pretty laid back anyway and don't get to "bothered" by much. And we only use one carrier for both of them. No way in hell would I try to keep them seperated when they're in the truck with me. They're much happier together.

I gotta tell you though. Listening to my big dog cry like he was doing broke my heart. I was really glad the Vet chose not to put him through it and stopped the tech that was attempting to clip his claws. IMO the mark of a damn good Vet!!

that pedi thing is just a cheap ass dermal....and doesnt do it fast enough....the groomer is right...walk them on pavement and it will keep their nails down...watch for the nail on the dew claw...if they still have them...it tends to curl under and grown into the dew claw. most likely someone has cut into the quick...you can avoid this by just taking off a little of the nail at a time...the quick receeds as you cut the nail....so take a wee bit of the nail off to begin with and let the quick receed back.

lol strollin...I've got to get him FIRST to where he'll let me do more than just rub his feet. He seriously doesn't like you messing with his toes at all. The Vet checked to make sure none of his claws were curling. If they were I guess I would have made the appointment to have him sedated and have them taken care of. Do I sound like an overly protective "momma" when it comes to my furbabies??? Can't help it! They're my darlins and I would be lost without them. My two dogs are the sweetest things UNTIL daddy leaves to go to work at night. You can actually see the change come over them as they go into "time to look after momma" mode. Even had a Sheriff's deputy laugh one night and tell me to tell my husband he had no worries....NO ONE was getting in our house uninvited. He couldn't get me on the phone one night not long after my surgery and got worried. Sent the cops to the house to check on me. Poor guy was backed up as far as he could get on the front porch scared the mutants were going to get away from me and go through the storm door on his butt. All my babies are rescues and I have no clue what they might have gone through before they chose to come live with us. The cats we've had 9 years, big dog 3, and the little guy 2. If this thing will let me post a pic I'll put one up for you.

IMG_0902.jpg

The two mutants, knuckle and harley

Last edited:
to take a 97lb dog, a 68lb dog, and two cats to the vet at the same time!!! What a fun time was had by all. The cats weren't such a problem as they were confined in a carrier. You ever try to manhandle 165lbs of dog(s) in a room full of new smells, new people to lick, and other dogs?

Now, the pressing question is.....my big dawg needs his claws clipped. He has an aversion to ANYONE, including myself, who he pretty much allows to do anything to him, except his claws, messing with his feet. I don't know if he's had someone hurt him before or what. I told the Vet that he would probably have to be muzzled for a stranger to be able to do it. Needless to say, after listening to him cry for 10 minutes like they were killing him the Vet stopped trying. Told me that he would have to sedate him to be able to get it done without traumatizing him. Gotta tell you, I was in tears listening to him. This is one of my babies we're talking about!! I was impressed with the fact that the Vet did stop trying and was concerned about how it was affecting him though. My question is, has anyone else experienced this kind of unmitigated terror in their dogs over having their claws clipped? If so, how did you overcome it? The groomer at the Vets office told me to walk him on the road about three times a week to keep them filed down. His claws aren't so long that they cause HIM problems, but they're hell on me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Your vet can prescribe Acepromazine tablets for you to give your dog 45 minutes before the nails are the be trimmed. If they are that bad, they can give the dog Telazol, which will allow them to do the job without any stress or strain on your dog. Animals wake up fairly fast from Telazol.

I run into the scenario you spoke of a lot. It is not uncommon for some dogs to have an aversion to having their feet handled, or having their nails trimmed.

The best thing to do, is go the sedation route, whether orally or IV injection. Talk it over with your vet. Ideally, once the nails have been trimmed down the first time, they should be regularly cut every 4 - 6 weeks, especially if you want to get the nails as short as you can over time.

BGG....I would call the way he reacted yesterday to be a bit more than just an aversion. He has an aversion to baths but he'll tolerate it if I give him one. This was unmitigated terror. When they brought him to me he was shaking like a leaf. That's why I can't help but feel it stems from the abuse he suffered before he came to us. We already know he was beaten at some point. As I said, they aren't so long they're a problem for him, it's me that catches the most from it. I take after my mom in that the older I get the closer to the skin the veins in my arms are so when ever he manages to scratch me it's a bloody mess. We just got back from our first walk down the road and back which the groomer at the Vet's office suggested. I'm going to give that a few weeks to see how much that works them down then I'll make a decision on the other. It broke my heart listening to him yesterday. He's the black and white guy in the pictures I posted. My big mushbutt!!

o hell no you are gonna spend out much ever 4 to 6 weeks....i dont think so....and there is really no reason to knock the dog out....how old are these dogs....and why does the whining bother you...one of mine whines when i removed the long ass whatever he is trying to eat and i have to pull out of his throat....he wants to keep it...you may even want to start out with a cloth just rubbing it on his nails...getting him use to it...then go to fine sandpaper....these are toe nails..try postive stuff...when he lets you rub his paws...reward him...perhaps you stress too much and he senses that...

last time i took my dobie in...to er vet..he had a rip on inner thigh....i was standing there...waiting when a large guy enters the room...obvious not a medical person and i realize he is there to catch thor when he goes down...my vet...sweetly opens the door and goes..."why dont you go to the mall for an hour or so" i find being over protective at times is not helping the matter.

I have a small dog we adopted and he won't even let you pet his paws when we first got him. He was an abused dog so many problems. He know allows the groomer to clip his nails and I can too. How did I get him there? It took 3 years of me petting him in other areas and each time I would stroke his paws softly. He got use to my hands on his claws and paws over time to where his anxiety was just about gone. He doesn't have to be muzzled but when the groomer goes to clip them he has to have 3 people. One clipping, one stroking him, and one holding him. A big dog like yours man, not sure.

BGG....I would call the way he reacted yesterday to be a bit more than just an aversion. He has an aversion to baths but he'll tolerate it if I give him one. This was unmitigated terror. When they brought him to me he was shaking like a leaf. That's why I can't help but feel it stems from the abuse he suffered before he came to us. We already know he was beaten at some point. As I said, they aren't so long they're a problem for him, it's me that catches the most from it. I take after my mom in that the older I get the closer to the skin the veins in my arms are so when ever he manages to scratch me it's a bloody mess. We just got back from our first walk down the road and back which the groomer at the Vet's office suggested. I'm going to give that a few weeks to see how much that works them down then I'll make a decision on the other. It broke my heart listening to him yesterday. He's the black and white guy in the pictures I posted. My big mushbutt!!

I know what you are talking about dixie. Walking on the concrete is fine but it is not going to do what needs to be done right now. That kind of thing is good for helping to maintain nail growth.

For whatever reason, some dogs hate having their nails cut. Oral and or injection sedation is the safest route to go. Once you get the nails cut short, you may be able to maintain them by making sure the dog walks on concrete a lot. If your dog breaks a nail, that is going to be painful not to mention bloody.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

:lol:
Tried something very much like that once. Decided 2 trips was actually more convenient.

ncarolinadixie said:

Considering the cost of keping on doing what you're doing, have you thought about taking him to a professional trainer (if there's one avaialble) for help desensitizing him? If it's that hard for you to push him a little yourself, somebody who does this kind of thing for a living should be able to help. Getting rid of the problem, even if it means paying somebody, is going to save you a bundle over time.

I'll keep what you say in mind and I will be making a decision on it soon. He has gotten to where he lets ME play with his toes but pulls away if I reach for the clippers or the pedi paw. I wonder if I had been back with him if he would have reacted so strongly and maybe feel a bit of guilt over that. He pretty much lets me do anything else including brushing his teeth so it's kind of odd that he doesn't seem to trust me with his toes. The rest of my furkids don't mind it at all. The little guy, harley lays out on his back like he's at the spa or something when I use the pedi paws on his claws. The cats I use a fine emery board and just file off the tips. I'll keep working with him. Hopefully I'll be able to gain his trust in that matter enough to do it myself. If not, I'll have to make the decision to let them sedate him. Thanks for the suggestions and advice!!

o hell no you are gonna spend out much ever 4 to 6 weeks....i dont think so....and there is really no reason to knock the dog out....how old are these dogs....and why does the whining bother you...one of mine whines when i removed the long ass whatever he is trying to eat and i have to pull out of his throat....he wants to keep it...you may even want to start out with a cloth just rubbing it on his nails...getting him use to it...then go to fine sandpaper....these are toe nails..try postive stuff...when he lets you rub his paws...reward him...perhaps you stress too much and he senses that...

last time i took my dobie in...to er vet..he had a rip on inner thigh....i was standing there...waiting when a large guy enters the room...obvious not a medical person and i realize he is there to catch thor when he goes down...my vet...sweetly opens the door and goes..."why dont you go to the mall for an hour or so" i find being over protective at times is not helping the matter.

Sometimes it is best to sedate the dog. Her and her vet know better than you, what is best for her dog, in order to get the nails trimmed short so that they can be maintained on concrete. If the nails are very long, she isn't going to be able to trim them on her own.

If the dog is that traumatized or aggressive, when having its nails trimmed, there is no sense in putting the dog or staff at risk of getting injured, just to try and trim nails.

The drugs I mentioned are very safe, and used every day in vet medicine. When the vet or vet tech gives up and stops trying to trim nails, that means it is a bad situation.

I didn't say anything about sedating the dog every month etc. The cost to sedate the dog for a proper nail trimming, is very nominal. If she tells the vet what I said, he or she will validate what I said.

You should have stacked them.

Tie the small dog on the big dog, and then tie the cats together and sling them over the small dogs back like saddlebags.

That would have worked.

Forum List

Back