Nevada Democrat Governor Issues first Veto of his tenure, nixing National Popular Vote

Well fuck me silly! I voted for Laxalt, mainly because I didn't feel a Democrat governor would care about the needs of the Republicans in our state. However, Sisolak just got me backing him, and probably a lot of the other rednecks in congressional district 3. Sandoval had my support, because I felt that he cared about all the Nevadan people, and after this move, Sisolak has the same support now. :thup:
It was the correct action--he must know a thing or two about how our govt. was set up.The tyranny of the majority...must be avoided.
I'm not a Trump fan..but that does not matter...it is the process that is important, in the long run..all Americans deserve a voice.

Is the election of the president the only thing that stands between the US succumbing to the tyranny of the majority? Having a representational government isn't the major check on that sort of mob rule, it's the electoral college?

I am constantly baffled by the implication so often put forth that this country is one election change away from a pure democracy; that somehow having the president elected by popular vote would circumvent the representative nature of government.

I actually have never heard (until now) ,the argument that a PV circumvents Representative Government. What does do is neuter the influence of less popular states.

Well fuck me silly! I voted for Laxalt, mainly because I didn't feel a Democrat governor would care about the needs of the Republicans in our state. However, Sisolak just got me backing him, and probably a lot of the other rednecks in congressional district 3. Sandoval had my support, because I felt that he cared about all the Nevadan people, and after this move, Sisolak has the same support now. :thup:
It was the correct action--he must know a thing or two about how our govt. was set up.The tyranny of the majority...must be avoided.
I'm not a Trump fan..but that does not matter...it is the process that is important, in the long run..all Americans deserve a voice.

Is the election of the president the only thing that stands between the US succumbing to the tyranny of the majority? Having a representational government isn't the major check on that sort of mob rule, it's the electoral college?

I am constantly baffled by the implication so often put forth that this country is one election change away from a pure democracy; that somehow having the president elected by popular vote would circumvent the representative nature of government.

I actually have never heard (until now) ,the argument that a PV circumvents Representative Government. What does do is neuter the influence of less popular states.
Which amounts to the same thing.

Which amounts to the same thing.

No, it’s not the same thing at all.

No, I don't think so. In hindsight, Sisolak probably just saw that Nevada would lose it's power as a swing state if the electoral college is replaced with a national vote. Politicians are all about themselves and not about the system or it's people. HE would lose power if Nevada loses power, which would be the case in a national popular vote.

It would be a crack in the wall....and a big one. The system works..it is not broken as some allege--and I see no reason to 'fix' it.

A better fix would be term limits.

I don't see it as that big a step towards tyranny of the majority. The president (and our other elected officials) would still represent the people. The presidency is already decided for the most part by popular votes in the states. The majority of presidents have won the national popular vote already, so in that sense it would not be much of a change, either.

It might not be a good idea, but I don't think it would move things much closer to pure democracy. :dunno:

Good news. Now hopefully the other states making this unethical move of doing away with the electoral college will follow Nevada's Governor and do the right thing.

Twitter

Sisolak vetoes bill that would pledge Nevada's support to winner of national popular vote, reject Electoral College
Are all the people West of the River a Commie or just crazy from the heat. A Small state who want this to happen should just not vote and let New York pick the next President. Stupid people who get elected it seems.

Forum List

Back