Nevada Democrat Governor Issues first Veto of his tenure, nixing National Popular Vote

WTF? A Democrat did the right thing?

BRB, checking outside for flying pigs...

It isn't unconstitutional. The states doing this shit will give all their EC votes to the national pop vote winner.
Their citizens might not care for it but it is perfectly legal.

It isn't unconstitutional. The states doing this shit will give all their EC votes to the national pop vote winner.

How does outsourcing a voting process designed to be in-State to people Outside the State pass constitutional muster?

It fails on the guarantee of a republican form of government, it fails by way of equal protection, and it fails on the State-State compacts clause.

Never mind the fact that if somehow this passes for 2020 and Trump wins the national vote but loses the EC, Blue States would try to figure some way out of it, throwing us into a Constitutional Crisis and maybe a Civil War.

How does outsourcing a voting process designed to be in-State to people Outside the State pass constitutional muster?

It fails on the guarantee of a republican form of government, it fails by way of equal protection, and it fails on the State-State compacts clause.

Never mind the fact that if somehow this passes for 2020 and Trump wins the national vote but loses the EC, Blue States would try to figure some way out of it, throwing us into a Constitutional Crisis and maybe a Civil War.

The Constitution gives states the authority to choose electors how they want. In the past some states let their legislatures choose electors, foregoing any sort of public vote. In the current setup not all states follow a statewide popular vote: Nebraska and Maine, I believe, choose 2 electors through statewide popular vote and the rest through district vote.

I don't see how this prevents a republican form of government. I'm not sure how this is supposed to violate equal protection. Finally, the USSC has ruled that the Compact clause only applies to a pretty narrow range of agreements between states, from what I have read, so I don't know that this would apply.

I tried reading about the Electoral College and got a headache. I need one of those "How a bill becomes a law" cartoons. Anything this complex MUST be good.

Well fuck me silly! I voted for Laxalt, mainly because I didn't feel a Democrat governor would care about the needs of the Republicans in our state. However, Sisolak just got me backing him, and probably a lot of the other rednecks in congressional district 3. Sandoval had my support, because I felt that he cared about all the Nevadan people, and after this move, Sisolak has the same support now. :thup:

Well fuck me silly! I voted for Laxalt, mainly because I didn't feel a Democrat governor would care about the needs of the Republicans in our state. However, Sisolak just got me backing him, and probably a lot of the other rednecks in congressional district 3. Sandoval had my support, because I felt that he cared about all the Nevadan people, and after this move, Sisolak has the same support now. :thup:

Before you become a slap-happy-jappy, look up the new gun bill he'll probably sign.
Nonetheless, glad he vetoed!

If only every governor had as much sense:

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) on Thursday vetoed a bill which would have pledged the state’s six electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote for President of the United States.

“Once effective, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact could diminish the role of smaller states like Nevada in national electoral contests and force Nevada’s electors to side with whoever wins the nationwide popular vote, rather than the candidate Nevadans choose,” a statement via Sisolak reads. “I recognize that many of my fellow Nevadans may disagree on this point and I appreciate the legislature’s thoughtful consideration of this important issue. As Nevada’s governor, I am obligated to make such decisions according to my own conscience. In cases like this, where Nevada’s interests could diverge from the interests of large states, I will always stand up for Nevada.”

2z8romg.jpg

Wow, a Dem with balls and did the right thing...

I’m sure that will infuriate the TDS types.

Good news. Now hopefully the other states making this unethical move of doing away with the electoral college will follow Nevada's Governor and do the right thing.

Twitter

Sisolak vetoes bill that would pledge Nevada's support to winner of national popular vote, reject Electoral College

I'm not a democrat, I'm an Independent.

Personally, I believe in the constitution. The constitution has both the electoral college and gives the states the right on how they should be allocated.

I don't care how a state does it, I don't live there. I just would like to see a republican get elected to the presidency by winning both the electoral college and the popular vote.

This one and the bush boy didn't in their original election to the White House.

I think there's something wrong with that. It divides the nation and does a lot of damage.

Good news. Now hopefully the other states making this unethical move of doing away with the electoral college will follow Nevada's Governor and do the right thing.

Twitter

Sisolak vetoes bill that would pledge Nevada's support to winner of national popular vote, reject Electoral College

Personally, I believe in the constitution. The constitution has both the electoral college and gives the states the right on how they should be allocated.

I don't care how a state does it, I don't live there. I just would like to see a republican get elected to the presidency by winning both the electoral college and the popular vote.

I think there's something wrong with that. It divides the nation and does a lot of damage.

Inconvienent, eh?

Twitter

A lot of Hillary's defenders will soon be going to jail.

Twitter

A lot of Hillary's defenders will soon be going to jail.

you have the balls to wager on that?

Twitter

Actually, the electoral college is a check to make sure that the Democrat Party DOES NOT politicize and corrupt the Union to the degree that it results in one-party perpetual rule.
The electoral college prevents that major damage from happening, so you should celebrate it and see the glass half full, instead of trying to shield yourself from division.

Twitter

Inconvienent, eh?

It's bad for our nation.

I know you don't care but those of us who actually love our nation do care.

Forum List

Back