Netflix Flicks

I was thrilled to see Quest For Fire is now on Netflix! I just finished watching it...again. I have seen it about 4 times and in another year or so, I will watch it again. Ron Perlman ROCKS as a caveman! No language is spoken..except grunts since they are cavemen, but the expressions on their faces, how they ACTED were words enough. Drama, comedy, sex, it's a great flick.

Quest for Fire 1981 - IMDb

Mr. Pip, with Hugh Laurie. Good flick.

As a war rages on in the province of Bougainville in Papua New Guinea, a young girl becomes transfixed by the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations, which is being read at school by the only white man in the village.

Bloodline. I tried to get into it, but only got to episode 3. Too damn boring.

I ordered The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies, so I think this weekend (if it arrives by then) I am going to do a Hobbit Marathon..from start to finish.

I'll check out Chef 2014 tonight. I don't think anything good is on tv on thursday nights.

Not sure I want to see Chef. I read what its about and nothing grabbed my interest enough to check it out.

This is a really good one:

Chef 2014 - IMDb

It was alright. I just don't get that excited about cooking. But if you liked Chef you'll probably like 100 Foot Journey about Indian immigrants who open up a restaurant in France.

Sometimes it seems like the choice on Netflix is between a murder mystery, a zombie movie or a movie about cuisine. I know that's an exaggeration, but it just seems that way sometimes.

This is a really good one:

Chef 2014 - IMDb

It was alright. I just don't get that excited about cooking. But if you liked Chef you'll probably like 100 Foot Journey about Indian immigrants who open up a restaurant in France.

Sometimes it seems like the choice on Netflix is between a murder mystery, a zombie movie or a movie about cuisine. I know that's an exaggeration, but it just seems that way sometimes.
I like foreign flicks..depending. Sometimes I stumble on some really great movies. Sometimes...duds.

Bloodline. I tried to get into it, but only got to episode 3. Too damn boring.

I watched Bloodline all the way through. It wasn't my favorite, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you've run out of things to watch. But the seedy brother (Danny) intrigued me. Danny was played by Australian actor Ben Mendelsohn. I thought his performance was unique and I can't really think of another character that compares.

I was going to wiki Danny to see what the fuck all that was about with Daddy and some chick with the gold necklace. I am presuming Daddy had something to do with her death or covered it up or something.
It was just too damn negative for me..and boring...and slow. Blech.

I like foreign flicks

I watched The Returned (Les Revenants) on Netflix. It's French. Again, I don't know if I'd recommend it because it isn't for everyone. I thought it was trippy and different and spooky. Cinematography is excellent. I really liked the music. You can usually tell right away if a show is going to be crappy if it has a crappy music score. Anyway, yeah, really beautiful scenery and a whacked out plot. Ending could have been stronger.

and it's sort of slow, so probably not for people who need tons of action

I liked House of Cards season 1.

Missed season 2.

Watched a couple episodes of season 3 at a friend's house and it seems like it completely sucks now.

I'm trying to remember the name of the asian move I watched...guy was a musician but wound up preparing the dead for burial. Not a spooky movie..just a moving one of empathy and compassion. I will have to go look at my list and see what it's called.

Another one was german soldiers (all must have subtitles or I won't watch), where they were stuck with british soldiers in a cabin in deep snow in the middle of nowhere. It was a good movie too. They HAD to get along to survive.

It is also where I found The Stoning Of Soraya. Can't get it on streaming now..has to be dvd and I don't have that. Just streaming. It was a horrible movie. Awful. Not bad as in acting, etc. It was horrible and awful on what villages do to a woman accused of having an affair with a man by her own husband because he wanted her dead so he could marry a 13 year old.
I think that is when I realized just how evil islam is.

Secrets and Lies (2014, not to be confused with others of the same name) is a 6 part Australian TV drama. I'd only recommend it if you have lots of time on your hands. I think I watched the whole thing when I was hung over after St. Patrick's Day, probably slept through half of it.

It's another slow burning noir. I liked the scenery in Brisbane, Australia.

There's good stuff coming out of Australia. One of my top favorite Netflix series was Rake, the Aussie version (2010)
Rake TV Series 2010 - IMDb

Mad Men. I don't get what it's supposed to be about? Sexually harassment at the workplace? Treating wives like garbage? Smoking up a storm? Good Ol Boy mentality? Biddies clucking at new neighbors?

I don't think I like it so far. On season 1, epi 4 and not impressed but my blood pressure sure has risen.
I'm watching it now, I think I'm in the second season. I believe the point of the show is how different it was then, maybe a bit exaggerated in everyday America, especially since it's a Manhatten ad agency, but a lot of truth to it.

The problem is there are very few likeable characters, that's the main flaw with the show. Well acted and written but when you don't like the main character it's hard to accept. Even Breaking Bad had the good side of the guy people could identify with on some level.

Don's wife is about the only decent person on the show, but I like seeing the items I grew up with and love the cars!

I saw the Steve Jobs movie awhile back, it was pretty good but just now watched Steve Jobs - One Last Thing and it was really good. Just trying Bloodline right now. Anyone see it?

Forum List

Back