Netbook

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
Got bored, looked it up since I recently found out I can use any AT&T wifi hotspot, so decided to consider a new portable computer so I am not stuck at home so much. Work, fun, everything on the go, woot. But, I am going to make sure I get it with Ubuntu installed *eye roll* Contacting some of the companies that sell them to see if they can do it by default since the only other way would be to by an external CD drive, which I would have no other use for so that would be a waste of 150 bucks. Anyhoo, anyone have any info on a sales company that actually does this?

Or if you want to, just discuss these toys/tools.

You can skip the ext hds and use a flash drive or bluetooth dongle from your PC to load Ubuntu.

You can skip the ext hds and use a flash drive or bluetooth dongle from your PC to load Ubuntu.

True, but it'd be easier to get it pre-installed if possible either way. Also, I hate dongling, really I do. Messed up my old laptop already because I wasn't paying attention and since I don't have the BIOS password (I hate used machines sometimes) I couldn't fix it. Though I just thought of something, since they don't have a built in CD rom I'd have to dongle anyway unless it's pre-installed. Bah! I hate this MS take over shit. Really wish more people would use Linux so they'd have it on more machines.

I could do it through Wubi I guess, but the processors on Netbooks are slow and that would not be practical.

True, but it'd be easier to get it pre-installed if possible either way. Also, I hate dongling, really I do. Messed up my old laptop already because I wasn't paying attention and since I don't have the BIOS password (I hate used machines sometimes) I couldn't fix it. Though I just thought of something, since they don't have a built in CD rom I'd have to dongle anyway unless it's pre-installed. Bah! I hate this MS take over shit. Really wish more people would use Linux so they'd have it on more machines.

I think you can get them pre-installed on Dell or Gateway but I can't remember which one. Just buy one cheap and take it to your local nerd for a quick install...it's really simple and they'll prolly charge like $15 - $20.

Better yet, you could just network the netbook to your PC and copy the OS to the HD. DL Magic ISO/Disc and it'll load directly from the HD.

Better yet, you could just network the netbook to your PC and copy the OS to the HD. DL Magic ISO/Disc and it'll load directly from the HD.

I am the local geek LOL
All the professional techies here are MS-only certified, and the more schooling they have the less they seem to know. But that's actually a good idea, just do a copy through the network. The problem will be the partitioning, since Windoze crap sucks at it. I'll probably just dongle it, but I was thinking of buying an external CDR/W that I can swap between computers, so maybe I'll do that first, then get the Netbook. Oh well, looks like I'll have to work a few more accounts this month.

Do it through the network. Once loaded, delete M$ partition and use super grub to install/repair Ubuntu bootloader. Works like a charm.

Do it through the network. Once loaded, delete M$ partition and use super grub to install/repair Ubuntu bootloader. Works like a charm.

Right now my big challenge is figuring out how to crack the BIOS on an old laptop without opening it up. Big machines I am fine with, enough room to work, but I don't have a good set of tools and laptops are too damned cramped to do much without the tools.

I know what you mean. Mine takes a three sided screwdriver. I took one apart before and it took way longer to put back together. Aside from replacing memory and hard disc drives, they are a pain.

I know what you mean. Mine takes a three sided screwdriver. I took one apart before and it took way longer to put back together. Aside from replacing memory and hard disc drives, they are a pain.

Luckily most of the screws on mine are standard Phillip's and flat head, but the last time I took one completely apart I almost broke the case because I didn't get part of it back in "just right".

Lucky you. The ribbon for the screen is the absolute worst thing about the laptop. You get it all back together and then screen doesn't work so you gotta take it apart again. I had to change out a keyboard.

Lucky you. The ribbon for the screen is the absolute worst thing about the laptop. You get it all back together and then screen doesn't work so you gotta take it apart again. I had to change out a keyboard.

Thus why I love my desktops, almost anything that goes wrong with them I can fix, half the time I can jury-rig something until I get the correct parts. Laptops ... meh ... they annoy me. If not for the fact that I like getting out of the house I would never bother. But, my work is often done over the net now, once the physical system is set up I just go through the net to finish the rest.

It seems like PCs are becoming dinosaurs for the casual user. The more powerful laptops become, the less PCs will be purchased. So I think that I'll try my luck in networking.

It seems like PCs are becoming dinosaurs for the casual user. The more powerful laptops become, the less PCs will be purchased. So I think that I'll try my luck in networking.

Networking is the only place in computers that doesn't require massive graphics skills which has a future now. Desktops though will never die, they will just become more like servers with laptops/portables as remote terminals. Soon I will by a Blade center and hook it up to my desktop then setup a wifi network and use a netbook or some other laptop as my primary computer. All that power! I dream of developing an AI again, but this time with terrbytes of memory available and several 4Ghz+ processors. I want to break the barriers of AI, hooking up a robotic device to allow for all types of sensory input as well.

That and consulting. You need to work for Honda.

Meh, I prefer freelance network maintenance/setup/etc., general network techie really. Maybe one day I will branch out more, start my own company or sign on to a big one, but for now, I'm happy where I am. Work whatever hours I want, or can half the time (insomnia sucks).

I am too. I sometimes think my body needs more rest than my brain. I've started back on the pills and they barely work anymore. Anything about computers interest me. I absolutely love problem solving and this is the most challenging field there is. As a kid, I used to take things apart to try to figure out how they worked and when I opened my first PC, I was hooked.

I am too. I sometimes think my body needs more rest than my brain. I've started back on the pills and they barely work anymore. Anything about computers interest me. I absolutely love problem solving and this is the most challenging field there is. As a kid, I used to take things apart to try to figure out how they worked and when I opened my first PC, I was hooked.

My first computer was a TRS-80, COCO III, then I got an Apple IIe, about that time they finally had 286's at a decent price and finally got one of those. I remember the adjustment to programming with 16 colors instead of only 2! Now I am learning how to do 3D graphics for fun. The really odd thing, I actually saw computers becoming this popular back then, and I was so young, read too much Asimov I guess. But the primary reason I got into them, they don't betray you, don't judge, and think with pure logic, well, what passes for thinking with them. Looking at a monitor, imagining all the bits going through the IC's, how the electronic switches are flipped ... damn, I am such a cyber geek.

My first computer was a TRS-80, COCO III, then I got an Apple IIe, about that time they finally had 286's at a decent price and finally got one of those. I remember the adjustment to programming with 16 colors instead of only 2! Now I am learning how to do 3D graphics for fun. The really odd thing, I actually saw computers becoming this popular back then, and I was so young, read too much Asimov I guess. But the primary reason I got into them, they don't betray you, don't judge, and think with pure logic, well, what passes for thinking with them. Looking at a monitor, imagining all the bits going through the IC's, how the electronic switches are flipped ... damn, I am such a cyber geek.

Nerds! :lol:

Forum List

Back