Netanyahu gives Obama a copy of the Book of Esther

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Now that's a parting gift I must say. I wish I had confidence that Obama would read it and understand the meaning of the Book of Esther.

I fear that sadly he won't. Good for Bibi though.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had a pointed gift for Barack Obama after several days in Washington this week: A copy of the Book of Esther, which tells of the genocidal plot against the Jewish people devised by Haman the Agagite.

It’s a familiar-sounding story: In Persia, an oppressive and vengeful leader seeks the total annihilation of the Jewish people. It sounds like a line from an Israeli speech, but it’s also the story of the Purim holiday that Jews mark this week, beginning Wednesday at sundown.

This year, however, the holiday has additional meaning for some, providing historical parallels as Israel’s leaders weigh their response to Iran’s nuclear program.

Netanyahu and others in Israel fear the program masks a weapons drive and argue that a nuclear-armed Iran would create a new Persian threat to the existence of the Jewish people.

The gift, then, sent a clear message, said Israeli author Yossi Klein Halevi: “It helps Obama understand how Jews look at the world.”

Rest of a very well written article at link:

Benjamin Netanyahu's Book of Esther gift for Barack Obama a pointed reminder of Iran threat | News | National Post

Normally I'd probably have a problem with the President receiving a religious text as a gift from a fellow head of state. But I think this is reasonable.

I'm not a fan of Bibi and I think he's being a drama queen, but I am a fan of Purim - so I'm cool with this.

Purim has always been one of my favorite holidays.

Normally I'd probably have a problem with the President receiving a religious text as a gift from a fellow head of state. But I think this is reasonable.

Why on earth would you have a problem with the President recieving a religious text as a gift from anyone?

Now that's a parting gift I must say. I wish I had confidence that Obama would read it and understand the meaning of the Book of Esther.

I fear that sadly he won't. Good for Bibi though.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had a pointed gift for Barack Obama after several days in Washington this week: A copy of the Book of Esther, which tells of the genocidal plot against the Jewish people devised by Haman the Agagite.

It’s a familiar-sounding story: In Persia, an oppressive and vengeful leader seeks the total annihilation of the Jewish people. It sounds like a line from an Israeli speech, but it’s also the story of the Purim holiday that Jews mark this week, beginning Wednesday at sundown.

This year, however, the holiday has additional meaning for some, providing historical parallels as Israel’s leaders weigh their response to Iran’s nuclear program.

Netanyahu and others in Israel fear the program masks a weapons drive and argue that a nuclear-armed Iran would create a new Persian threat to the existence of the Jewish people.

The gift, then, sent a clear message, said Israeli author Yossi Klein Halevi: “It helps Obama understand how Jews look at the world.”

Und der Katze sagt:

And when Benjamin Mileikowski starts World War Three, and American soldiers die by the hundreds or thousands, what will "Bibi" give the parents, wives, brothers and sisters of the dead American soldiers? Another book of religious myth?

Why on earth would you have a problem with the President recieving a religious text as a gift from anyone?

I guess my real problem would have to do with the intention of the giver. For example, if King Abdullah were to give the President a copy of the Koran as a gift with the intent to proselytize to him and in hopes of Islamic beliefs shaping our policies and laws, then I would have a problem with it. But, if someone gave the President a copy of the Gnostic texts for as an academic gift, then I'd be fine with that.

In this case, this gift has more to do with showing a cultural history of a people. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

My belief is the President is of the leftist mindset that the bible is a few thousand year old tale of fables. May as well taken a shit in a box and given it to him.

My belief is the President is of the leftist mindset that the bible is a few thousand year old tale of fables. May as well taken a shit in a box and given it to him.

And why is it a bad thing to see it as a thousands years old book of fables? Fables, folk lore, and anecdotes are the most common way we, as people, teach many ideas and bits of wisdom to others. Many Jews especially regard their own religious texts as a collection of stories.

obama won't read it. He won't throw it in the trash since it's a state gift and has to be accounted for. Likely he will wait a reasonable period of time and return it like he gave the bust of Winston Churchill back to the British.

Forum List

Back