Netanyahu: Abbas must say he accepts ‘the Jewish state’

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
On the eve of a meeting of Quartet envoys in Brussels to review ways to restart the Israeli-Palestinian diplomatic process, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Thursday night that the end to the conflict will begin with the Palestinian leaders uttering six simple words: “I will accept the Jewish state.”

Netanyahu, in a speech to the closing session of the Israeli Presidential Conference in Jerusalem, said that peace has eluded the sides for 90 years because the Palestinians never accepted Israel’s existence in the region, within any borders.

His comments came amid Israeli efforts to get a clear Palestinian statement about Israel as a Jewish state front-loaded into any formula on restarting negotiations that might mention the baseline for talks as the 1967 lines, with mutual agreed swaps.

Noting that he had accepted the idea of a Palestinian state in his Bar Ilan speech in 2009, Netanyahu said, “Now I say that [PA] President [Mahmoud] Abbas must do what I did two years ago: he must stand up to his people and say, ‘I will accept the Jewish state.’” Referring to frequent Palestinian comments that Israel can “call itself whatever it wants,” Netanyahu stressed that the issue was not over what it calls itself, but rather over what it is.

“They can call their state Palestine or Arafatland,” Netanyahu said. “I’m not talking about what they call it; but what it is. For them, it is the nation state of the Palestinian people. Israel is the nation state of the Jewish people. This means that the Palestinians go there, and Jews come here.”

Netanyahu said this in no way will impinge upon the rights of Arab citizens in Israel, but that a two-state solution must end any hope of further subdividing the Jewish state and calls for a “sub-state” for Arabs in the Negev or Galilee.

Netanyahu: Abbas must say he accepts

He's quite right, of course. There can be no stable peace while the Arab/Muslim world continues to see the establishment of a Palestinian state as a forward base from which to pursue their goal of destroying Israel.

That is a stretch. Most Palestinians do not recognize Israel as a state of any flavor.

That is a stretch. Most Palestinians do not recognize Israel as a state of any flavor.

which is the point. There will never be peace if palestinians dont recognize the state of israel and vise-versa.

The isralies leaders already said they accept the state of palestine so now its up to the palestinian leaders, if they want peace and talks, to accept the state of israel.

which is the point. There will never be peace if palestinians dont recognize the state of israel and vise-versa.

The isralies leaders already said they accept the state of palestine so now its up to the palestinian leaders, if they want peace and talks, to accept the state of israel.

Israel sits inside Palestine's borders after kicking the natives out. The Palestinians are supposed to recognize Israel's "right" to do that.:cuckoo:

Israel sits inside Palestine's borders after kicking the natives out. The Palestinians are supposed to recognize Israel's "right" to do that.:cuckoo:

Dude palestine was NEVER a state. It was part of syria and then the UN decided to "give it to the jews" for their homeland. then in 1948 when Israel claimed independance 6 arab states declared war on it to get rid of it but israel won.

Ever since they have been fighting over the area. If both sides can't accept the other as belonging there then neither side will have peace.

Dude palestine was NEVER a state. It was part of syria and then the UN decided to "give it to the jews" for their homeland. then in 1948 when Israel claimed independance 6 arab states declared war on it to get rid of it but israel won.

Ever since they have been fighting over the area. If both sides can't accept the other as belonging there then neither side will have peace.

So much misinformation-so little time.

Dude palestine was NEVER a state.

The Palestinians have always said that Palestine was their country. Being the permanent inhabitants, they are they only ones who can make that claim. And they did.

It was part of syria

So?

the UN decided to "give it to the jews"

The UN General Assembly recommended a partition in resolution 181. The UN Security Council rejected 181. The UN did not partition Palestine nor did it give anything to anybody.

6 arab states declared war on it to get rid of it but israel won.

The 1948 war was called by UN Security Council resolution. Nobody won that war. Nobody lost that war.

On the eve of a meeting of Quartet envoys in Brussels to review ways to restart the Israeli-Palestinian diplomatic process, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Thursday night that the end to the conflict will begin with the Palestinian leaders uttering six simple words: “I will accept the Jewish state.”

Netanyahu, in a speech to the closing session of the Israeli Presidential Conference in Jerusalem, said that peace has eluded the sides for 90 years because the Palestinians never accepted Israel’s existence in the region, within any borders.

His comments came amid Israeli efforts to get a clear Palestinian statement about Israel as a Jewish state front-loaded into any formula on restarting negotiations that might mention the baseline for talks as the 1967 lines, with mutual agreed swaps.

Noting that he had accepted the idea of a Palestinian state in his Bar Ilan speech in 2009, Netanyahu said, “Now I say that [PA] President [Mahmoud] Abbas must do what I did two years ago: he must stand up to his people and say, ‘I will accept the Jewish state.’” Referring to frequent Palestinian comments that Israel can “call itself whatever it wants,” Netanyahu stressed that the issue was not over what it calls itself, but rather over what it is.

“They can call their state Palestine or Arafatland,” Netanyahu said. “I’m not talking about what they call it; but what it is. For them, it is the nation state of the Palestinian people. Israel is the nation state of the Jewish people. This means that the Palestinians go there, and Jews come here.”

Netanyahu said this in no way will impinge upon the rights of Arab citizens in Israel, but that a two-state solution must end any hope of further subdividing the Jewish state and calls for a “sub-state” for Arabs in the Negev or Galilee.

He's quite right, of course. There can be no stable peace while the Arab/Muslim world continues to see the establishment of a Palestinian state as a forward base from which to pursue their goal of destroying Israel.

I think Bibi is being petty! Even if he says its the Jewish state, what will that accomplish? Nothing! Rather he needs them to say the so-called refugees will never set foot in Israel!

He is sticky to a demand that will do nothing. Get the petty shit out of the way and have serious talks!

I think Bibi is being petty! Even if he says its the Jewish state, what will that accomplish? Nothing! Rather he needs them to say the so-called refugees will never set foot in Israel!

He is sticky to a demand that will do nothing. Get the petty shit out of the way and have serious talks!

Obviously, he must insist that the refugees cannot return, but I think he got it just right when he said,
that peace has eluded the sides for 90 years because the Palestinians never accepted Israel’s existence in the region, within any borders.

If you look at the outcomes of Barak's and Olmert's very generous offers it is clear that no substantial progress can be made unless Arab leaders change their thinking about Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state and announce it to their people. To my mind it is clear that there is no point in talking about borders or Jerusalem or anything else until this change in the thinking of the Arabs has taken place.

If you look at the outcomes of Barak's and Olmert's very generous offers it is clear that no substantial progress can be made unless Arab leaders change their thinking about Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state and announce it to their people.

To my mind it is clear that there is no point in talking about borders or Jerusalem or anything else until this change in the thinking of the Arabs has taken place.

I agree with you. Enough of the two sided speaking from the Arab leaders.

Israel has a very small amount of land.
Why can't Syria and Jordan give up some of their land to make a Palestinian state?

If you look at the outcomes of Barak's and Olmert's very generous offers it is clear that no substantial progress can be made unless Arab leaders change their thinking about Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state and announce it to their people.

To my mind it is clear that there is no point in talking about borders or Jerusalem or anything else until this change in the thinking of the Arabs has taken place.

Hamas has been saying for years that peace talks are useless. I see we can all agree.

Last edited:
Why can't Syria and Jordan give up some of their land to make a Palestinian state?

Are they to provide homes, farms, orchards, stores, and factories that the Palestinians lost?

Hamas has been saying for years that peace talks are useless. I see we can all agree.

^^ I agree.

Judea and Samaria is Israel.

Are they to provide homes, farms, orchards, stores, and factories that the Palestinians lost?

Why not ,compensate the ones that will have to leave for a new state and then they can have the ones that are already there.
What about the Israelies that would have to give up what they have right now for a Palestine state.
Either way people are going to have to be displaced. No matter how you look at it.
But Syria and Jordan have more land that they could give up.

There is no need for peace talks because Israel already has peace with both Palestinian Arab governments. Hamas may like to talk tough, but it is powerless to do anything but make the lives of the Gaza Arabs miserable. The talks, if there are any, will be about whether there will be a Palestinian Arab state, and Hamas is half the reason there will not be one for the present.

There is no need for peace talks because Israel already has peace with both Palestinian Arab governments. Hamas may like to talk tough, but it is powerless to do anything but make the lives of the Gaza Arabs miserable. The talks, if there are any, will be about whether there will be a Palestinian Arab state, and Hamas is half the reason there will not be one for the present.

"A state" is a meaningless term.

A 15 year old Plymouth with no muffler and bad breaks is "a car."

"A state" is a meaningless term.

A 15 year old Plymouth with no muffler and bad breaks is "a car."

You're referring to Gaza under Hamas rule, no doubt.

Forum List

Back