Net Talk - Phone

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Does anyone use Net Talk? We are in the process of upgrading some things, one being internet service. We have Verizon DSL but with 4 computers, an iPhone and a Kindle Fire ... merrrr, it is slow when more than one or two people are doing things. Was contemplating bundling internet and phone (thinking of switching to Comcast internet ... any opinions/info on that?) and in my quest to keep the monthly bill down I came across Net Talk. $65 for the duo wireless device, which includes one year phone subscription, then just $30/year for phone subscription after that. It works through your internet rather than the phone lines.

Thoughts?

NetTalk makes it easy to dump your landline but keep your phone number | How To - CNET

netTalk said its Duo WiFi device is off and running to record sales - FierceEnterpriseCommunications

I switched from Verizon DSL(too slow on old copper wires) to Comcast Internet because I had the cable TV already and bundled. FIOS is not an option in my town. I need speed because I run so much off my wi-fi including a Sonos internet music system and streaming. Comcast has been very good.

I am not a huge fan of VoIP service but that is based on using it in Aruba several years ago and the talk was spotty at times. It may have improved since then.

Comcast is expensive and people like to trash them but I've had very few complaints in the past when I used them. The regular speed internet is fast enough for the general user and they seem to have the least amount of down time. The one thing you have to watch for is billing, if you get a deal it might not show up because someone in setup forgot to use the correct activation code. In all cases keep your contract handy and deal with the local outlet, not the 1-800 know-nothings.
As for internet phone I use Skype, still the best out there for the price that I know of though most of the big providers run their phone setup through the internet now where available.

I recently dumped Comcast. We're in a college town and when classes are in session, sure enough- same time every evening things slow to a crawl.

So I switched to a company that sends everything over a phone line. It's a dedicated service.

I recently dumped Comcast. We're in a college town and when classes are in session, sure enough- same time every evening things slow to a crawl.

So I switched to a company that sends everything over a phone line. It's a dedicated service.

You're using a trunk line?

I believe he means a dedicated DSL line aka a dry loop, meaning a dedicated pair of copper wires from the telco office to the premise. No dialtone transmitted over the copper.

I believe he means a dedicated DSL line aka a dry loop, meaning a dedicated pair of copper wires from the telco office to the premise. No dialtone transmitted over the copper.

I know, just playing, he probably got it.

Well we did a bit more research on the Net Talk and there are problems with it. Seems if you have several users on the net while also on the phone the phone suffers, esp. if some teenager is using the youtube.

We currently have dsl (the bargain basement one) and the solution would be to get some kind of double play bundle with the next better dsl/phone. They just installed FIOS in our neighborhood and according to one Verizon operator that means we can't upgrade our dsl. Huh? You mean if the modem broke we'd be forced to either get Fios or go elsewhere? I find that hard to swallow. Will be calling them for clarification on that.

We don't use the phone much which is why I was hoping the Net Talk would be a good option but the parental units have a hard enough time hearing me on a good connection ... I only have to repeat myself three times with that. Can't imagine the conversation with a lousy connection. lol

My gripe is that we could bundle a tv/internet/phone w/Comcast for about the same amount that we're paying now for no hd service and slower internet ... but that price jumps when the contract (one year I think) is up. But there really aren't many alernatives to that, are there? If they come up with an a la carte tv offer I'd be on that like white on rice. The bundled tv channels (the vast majority of which we don't watch) is the money sucker. I did see this:

Intel Is Reportedly Going To Destroy The Cable Model By Offering People The Ability To Subscribe To Individual Channels - Business Insider

:eusa_pray: :eusa_pray: :eusa_pray:

Thx for the input guys. :)

Well we did a bit more research on the Net Talk and there are problems with it. Seems if you have several users on the net while also on the phone the phone suffers, esp. if some teenager is using the youtube.

We currently have dsl (the bargain basement one) and the solution would be to get some kind of double play bundle with the next better dsl/phone. They just installed FIOS in our neighborhood and according to one Verizon operator that means we can't upgrade our dsl. Huh? You mean if the modem broke we'd be forced to either get Fios or go elsewhere? I find that hard to swallow. Will be calling them for clarification on that.

We don't use the phone much which is why I was hoping the Net Talk would be a good option but the parental units have a hard enough time hearing me on a good connection ... I only have to repeat myself three times with that. Can't imagine the conversation with a lousy connection. lol

My gripe is that we could bundle a tv/internet/phone w/Comcast for about the same amount that we're paying now for no hd service and slower internet ... but that price jumps when the contract (one year I think) is up. But there really aren't many alernatives to that, are there? If they come up with an a la carte tv offer I'd be on that like white on rice. The bundled tv channels (the vast majority of which we don't watch) is the money sucker. I did see this:

Intel Is Reportedly Going To Destroy The Cable Model By Offering People The Ability To Subscribe To Individual Channels - Business Insider

Comcast sometimes has two and three year locked in contracts. At the end of your contract sign up for another service and show Comcast you're going to dump them, they'll generally carry you at the original contract price for at least another year. When you get the renewed contract contact the other company you signed up for and tell them you've changed your mind.
Or you can do as we did and dump the premium channels at the end of the contract, we rarely watched them anyway.
As for ala-carte TV, it's available on the internet, per se. You can make it happen, to a certain degree, but it not a "plug and play" type setup like cable, DSL, Fios, Dish, etc.

Verizon wants to do away with the old copper network (DSL runs on it) because the costs to maintain are not cost productive. This is why the offering of FIOS only in some areas. Also some copper is so subpar that an upgraded DSL would not work. The speeds would not be seen over the old pipe and likely the DSL would not work correctly. Speeds are only as good as the pipe that brings them to your home.

Verizon wants to do away with the old copper network (DSL runs on it) because the costs to maintain are not cost productive. This is why the offering of FIOS only in some areas. Also some copper is so subpar that an upgraded DSL would not work. The speeds would not be seen over the old pipe and likely the DSL would not work correctly. Speeds are only as good as the pipe that brings them to your home.

Yeah, I get that. But I am trying to improve speed a bit (doesn't have to be blink-and-the-page-is-loaded fast) but keep the costs down. Couldn't get the Verizon info page to load in FF, finally did in IE. And finally found the page that I needed (had to hunt and hunt for it because everything just kept pointing me to upgrade to Fios) ... we can upgrade our dsl and get the phone included for basically what we're paying now for budget dsl and minute-by-minute phone plan, which comes in $25 or so less than the least expensive Fios double play. Ha! lol

I used to have the Net Talk service, and ran into problems, and had to reset the modem/router, and the Net Talk box at least once a week. Then I found out my phone calls were being redirected to Miami Fl.
My tel. number was appearing on caller ID's with a 305 area code. I think that is where they're corp. office is. I found this out by accident, as I called a national 800 number that would direct my call to whatever state I was calling from, and the system picked up a Fl number and it redirected to Florida..
I called the Net Talk CS, and I was told there was nothing to be done about it, so I dropped them and went back to Vonage.

Does anyone use Net Talk? We are in the process of upgrading some things, one being internet service. We have Verizon DSL but with 4 computers, an iPhone and a Kindle Fire ... merrrr, it is slow when more than one or two people are doing things. Was contemplating bundling internet and phone (thinking of switching to Comcast internet ... any opinions/info on that?) and in my quest to keep the monthly bill down I came across Net Talk. $65 for the duo wireless device, which includes one year phone subscription, then just $30/year for phone subscription after that. It works through your internet rather than the phone lines.

Thoughts?

I just ( today ) completed bundling my telephone with my ISP, Charter. Phone service, including long distance, to anywhere, almost--Canada and Puerto Rico and all the other features, known to humankind...caller ID, Waiting, Forward, etc., ad infinitum and no taxes or user charges, and it is 19.99 a month and when bundled with high speed Internet, it is 69.68 a month.

For people who don't have Internet with Charter, they can take advantage of 12 month special for both services, for $49.99 a month if they switch.

I have heard positive and negative reviews on the phone deal and am hoping for the best. My phone box, the size of the modem, has a backup battery should the area lose power, which being on a windy and turbulent coast, it happens about twice a year.

Most networks will immediately accept this new service but Century Link, took over 48 hours and all is clear now. Great clarity and the same telephone and number I have had for a long time. Just don't tell the company you are with what you are doing, or they will drop your number. Charter will do all of that for you, so you keep your number.

I have used Charter for cable and Internet, for 13 years and have very much enjoyed them in every capacity. I would rate them a 4, out of 5 with 5 being the highest.

The are non-union, unlike Century Link, and are available for you 24/7 for any reason. They excel in customer service in my opinion, but I contact them with a friendly attitude.

I hope I can stay with a 4 rating, after trying this service, for a while. If I don't like it, I will go back to Century Link ( which used to be called Quest. )

Forum List

Back