Net Stalkers

dilloduck wrote:

Internet lawyers--internet cops--internet judges--internet juries ?

For sure, this is an exploding area of law, dilloduck. But yanno, before the invention of the telephone, there was no crime of telephone harrassment, etc. Nothing has altered our lives like the net, and this is just one unpleasant side effect of it.

In our never ending search for security we put ourselves in cages. It's just plain stupid and leads people to continue the futile search for security. There is no security and frankly I'm tired of having to constantly adjust my behavior because someone finds some new way to be afraid or have their feelings hurt. We are here voluntarily and at the risk of being banned at anytime. The existence of our little alter egos can be erased by the staff here whenever they feel like it.

QF-Frelling-T.

dilloduck wrote:

We are only as free as the staff here decides. Dilloduck can be deleted from this site for no reason. This morass is only hard to wade thru if you pretend it is real. The moderators are volunteers and excercise a bit more control than the rest of the alter egos on here yet you feel sorry for them ?

Not like I do starving children, but yeah. I think it has to be a ginormous pain in the ass to try and stay on top of the curve as internet law evolves.

Not to mention coping with all the bellyaching.

dilloduck wrote:

We are only as free as the staff here decides. Dilloduck can be deleted from this site for no reason. This morass is only hard to wade thru if you pretend it is real. The moderators are volunteers and excercise a bit more control than the rest of the alter egos on here yet you feel sorry for them ?

Not like I do starving children, but yeah. I think it has to be a ginormous pain in the ass to try and stay on top of the curve as internet law evolves.

I asked your Friend Ravi to leave me alone, Maddie... :thup:

All public like!

Keep an eye on her about it, mmmkay. ;)

:)

peace...

I don't feel sorry for people who decide to do something voluntarily.

Everything has a price; and obviously they feel that the benefits they receive outweigh the price they pay, or they wouldn't do it.

I'll save my pity for people who are dying of cancer, involuntarily unemployed, and stuff like that.

dilloduck wrote:

I asked your Friend Ravi to leave me alone, Maddie... :thup:

All public like!

Keep an eye on her about it, mmmkay. ;)

:)

peace...

I will pay attention, mal. If you think I would not stand up when a man was harrassed by a woman, you are wrong. I have never seen it, but sauce for the goose and all that.

Everything has a price; and obviously they feel that the benefits they receive outweigh the price they pay, or they wouldn't do it.

I'll save my pity for people who are dying of cancer, involuntarily unemployed, and stuff like that.

So, if I voluntarily join fubar and attract a murdering sociopath as a stalker, that's on me, boedicca?

dilloduck wrote:

I wanna post here without you ever responding to one. If you do, I will consider it to be harassment and stalking.

How do you like that ? :lol:

So, if I voluntarily join fubar and attract a murdering sociopath as a stalker, that's on me, boedicca?

You didn't start this thread to discuss murdering sociopaths as stalkers. That isn't what the issue is that causes hassles for the mods and admins. What you are doing is trolling for trolls. If you don't want to be annoyed by a troll, put said person on ignore.

It's frightfully easy.

And if you are concerned about a murdering sociopath, the proper course of action is to contact law enforcement agencies that could actually do something about - not advertise your fears in a thread on a public forum.

dilloduck wrote:

Agreed--whoever runs the joint calls the shots. If I don't like it I can move on. People really need to learn that this place isn't real. If the identity you choose to be here gets trashed, you are not trashed.

"Moving on" is fine -- for USMB. What about facebook, or LinkedIn, or some of the other, larger sites?

And this discussion is not about those who call 911 when they chip a nail, dilloduck. Nobody is gonna deny that USMBers go through a whole lot more tissues than seems strictly necessary.

Good Lord. You have no right to Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. If you sign up, you take the risks. If you don't like the result, then close it down.

You want this legislated more than it is now?

No one can "stalk" you without you providing them enough information to do so. The Internet, as of now, is anonymous. You put too much out there, you take a risk.

As to "stalkers" that you think are on a message board, the ignore feature is great. Just leave it turned on. No peaking. It's amazing that when "stalkers" don't get a response they will just leave you alone.

Words made you run ?

Yes. 10 years worth of words. It got old. I got old. My skin got thinner with age. At least there. It was non stop.

My real identity isn't bonded to my virtual self. It's like acting.

For some that have that ability to be two different people, I admire for that ability. I know who I am. They don't. But it took many years for me to get from point A to point B. In short..I Had Enough. Such a waste of time..and energy.
I like it here. I'm glad I packed up and went on the hunt and found this place. Bless Google.

dilloduck wrote:

Agreed--whoever runs the joint calls the shots. If I don't like it I can move on. People really need to learn that this place isn't real. If the identity you choose to be here gets trashed, you are not trashed.

"Moving on" is fine -- for USMB. What about facebook, or LinkedIn, or some of the other, larger sites?

And this discussion is not about those who call 911 when they chip a nail, dilloduck. Nobody is gonna deny that USMBers go through a whole lot more tissues than seems strictly necessary.

Good Lord. You have no right to Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. If you sign up, you take the risks. If you don't like the result, then close it down.

No one can "stalk" you without you providing them enough information to do so. The Internet, as of now, is anonymous. You put too much out there, you take a risk.

As to "stalkers" that you think are on a message board, the ignore feature is great. Just leave it turned on. No peaking. It's amazing that when "stalkers" don't get a response they will just leave you alone.

You CAN be stalked without revealing all on the net, Provocateur. Gimmie your ISP-supported email addy, and I'll have a field day with it. Donca ever watch those techy scarey movies?

You CAN be stalked without revealing all on the net, Provocateur. Gimmie your ISP-supported email addy, and I'll have a field day with it. Donca ever watch those techy scarey movies?
No. Now what are you going to do? :lol:

dilloduck wrote:

I say that 99% of what is claimed as stalking comes from people who don't know how to simply ignore idiots.

So, IYO, stalking should not be a crime? Ever?

It's hard for me to imagine anyone making a decision to be on the internet and expecting someone to protect them from anything. It's a fanatasy la la land. Exactly how am I harmed if someone decides to post some insane BS about me ? We have people here who get offended if you spell a word wrong.
People need to learn the distinction between virtual and real.

with the influence of television and the net more and more people are having trouble seperating fantasy from reality.

Glenn Beck Cites ‘24’ to Defend Torture

Posted on Jan 13, 2009

It’s amazing what happens when powerful minds get together. Take this episode of “Fox and Friends,” during which conservative luminary Glenn Beck quotes Jack Bauer, an imaginary person from the land of TV make-believe, to prove the righteousness of torture. Genius.

Glenn Beck Cites ‘24’ to Defend Torture - Truthdig

When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

Then your time is up at that board and it's time to move on. Knowing some will follow you just to harass you, you have to get a new name.
That's what I did. That's why I'm here.
Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing one can do about it. There are no internet police and admins taking a stand just kills the board. The only option is to bail.

I dunno about "killing a board", IMEURU. My source of aggravation has been perma-banned and USMB seems to be doing okay. (I have no clue why the ban was put on, nor do I care. It may have had nothing to do with me.)

The other problem with your POV is, you seem to feel that board's Mods should do nothing unless the conduct is plainly criminal. Even if they ignore all conduct that is tortious aka for which a lawsuit can be filed -- which BTW may create liability for the board -- there are new laws about bullying that make some conduct of the sort you describe at least colorably criminal.

My own feeling is, if a REASONABLE person would find the complained-of conduct seriously aggravating, the Mods should act. If a lesser form of discipline stops the bad conduct fine, but if not, a ban is in order.

At least that is my own POV.

Admins cannot please everyone. I had my own board. I belonged to boards. I've seen it all. It's a slippery slope either way. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All it takes is one uprising and the board goes POOF. It's not the board that is a success or failure. It's the people who inhabit it.
I chose to POOF. But it was a bit too late. The board I came from is close to it, mainly because the admin just flat doesn't care any more.
Anyway...just giving my opinion, nothing more.

No. Now what are you going to do? :lol:

Let's assume it's the only email address you have. That's a safe assumption, since I managed to get it. I will fuck up your bank account, if you are doing online banking. I will run a deep background on you, and get all the inside dope I want, right down to your credit report....that opens up a world of fun times, including identity theft. I can also track you online now, and with your IP, I can locate you IRL...right down to the street addy.

I can fuck with your life, Provocateur, and I am a technotard. (I never will, BTW, any more than I will take up gas station robbery.) It is naive to think that these new laws are not needed except to meet the emotional needs of butthurt housewives.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back