Net Stalkers

There is some truth to what you say, though I'd estimate a lesser amount. I've never been stalked online or in real life but I always thought that if I ever was stalked and ignoring the stalker didn't work, my best defence would be to stalk back. I would think having the tables turned on a stalker would be a major turn off.

I had a pervert follow me on the street one time and grab my ass. I turned around and started walking close behind him and he freaked and bolted. Maybe that wasn't the wisest thing to do but I was pissed off and seeing him scurry off like a scared rabbit gave me a big laugh.

and I'll never do it again. :cool:
You almost lost your tail feathers.

If I was really some creature with feathers I might worry but I'm certain that Dilloduck is merely a character that I chose to create and reinvent at will. I can give someone else my password and they can be "Dilloduck" if I choose.

dilloduck wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine anyone making a decision to be on the internet and expecting someone to protect them from anything. It's a fanatasy la la land. Exactly how am I harmed if someone decides to post some insane BS about me ? We have people here who get offended if you spell a word wrong.

People need to learn the distinction between virtual and real.

Well, remember now, I told you that for a crime of stalking to take place, the acts of the perpetrator must be such that would put a reasonable person of the victim's age, sex, etc.in fear of apprehension of harm. The law does not protect the super-sensitive person who belly aches every time some tells them to fuck off.

Setting aside criminal charges and lawsuits for tortious conduct, what about a website's TOS? Should there be a new internet etiquette designed to prevent stalking, bullying and harrassment that is merely annoying as shit (and would be to a reasonable person - again, no one wants to protect the super-sensitive) but not threatening?

That would be up to each website whether or not they wanted a TOS like that.

If you are suggesting USMB needs such a revision to the TOS, I disagree.

When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

Then your time is up at that board and it's time to move on. Knowing some will follow you just to harass you, you have to get a new name.
That's what I did. That's why I'm here.
Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing one can do about it. There are no internet police and admins taking a stand just kills the board. The only option is to bail.

Words made you run ?

Yes. 10 years worth of words. It got old. I got old. My skin got thinner with age. At least there. It was non stop.

Then your time is up at that board and it's time to move on. Knowing some will follow you just to harass you, you have to get a new name.
Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing one can do about it. There are no internet police and admins taking a stand just kills the board. The only option is to bail.

Words made you run ?

Yes. 10 years worth of words. It got old. I got old. My skin got thinner with age. At least there. It was non stop.

My real identity isn't bonded to my virtual self. It's like acting.

When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

I dunno about "killing a board", IMEURU. My source of aggravation has been perma-banned and USMB seems to be doing okay. (I have no clue why the ban was put on, nor do I care. It may have had nothing to do with me.)

The other problem with your POV is, you seem to feel that board's Mods should do nothing unless the conduct is plainly criminal. Even if they ignore all conduct that is tortious aka for which a lawsuit can be filed -- which BTW may create liability for the board -- there are new laws about bullying that make some conduct of the sort you describe at least colorably criminal.

My own feeling is, if a REASONABLE person would find the complained-of conduct seriously aggravating, the Mods should act. If a lesser form of discipline stops the bad conduct fine, but if not, a ban is in order.

At least that is my own POV.

The fun of being someone's obsession does wear thin fast. I know scarcely any woman anywhere on the 'net that has not been harrassed, and I know of one case where the man doing the harrassment ended up in prison.

Some people turn on the pc and lose their fucking minds. It's as if they are on drugs. They cannot seem to grasp that they are interacting with other humans, and that their on-line conduct can have off-line consequences.

IMO, when a woman tells a man she wishes to be left alone (or a man tells a woman, or man to man, and so on) there should be a ginormous pressure on that person to comply. Mebbe not a legal one, but nonetheless, after asking someone to leave you in peace, there should be some relief.

What say you, folks? Should net stalking victims be better protected?

Yes!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/154727-what-should-huggy-buy-madeline-for-v-day.html

dilloduck wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine anyone making a decision to be on the internet and expecting someone to protect them from anything. It's a fanatasy la la land. Exactly how am I harmed if someone decides to post some insane BS about me ? We have people here who get offended if you spell a word wrong.

Well, remember now, I told you that for a crime of stalking to take place, the acts of the perpetrator must be such that would put a reasonable person of the victim's age, sex, etc.in fear of apprehension of harm. The law does not protect the super-sensitive person who belly aches every time some tells them to fuck off.

Setting aside criminal charges and lawsuits for tortious conduct, what about a website's TOS? Should there be a new internet etiquette designed to prevent stalking, bullying and harrassment that is merely annoying as shit (and would be to a reasonable person - again, no one wants to protect the super-sensitive) but not threatening?

Agreed--whoever runs the joint calls the shots. If I don't like it I can move on. People really need to learn that this place isn't real. If the identity you choose to be here gets trashed, you are not trashed.

dilloduck wrote:

No, the discussion is not "all about USMB", Radioman. Could be facebook or any social networking site. I foresee a need to revise TOS across the board for US-based web-sites as anti-bullying laws become more prevalent. Meanwhile, I agree with Ernie -- a public flogging is a good way to discourage such conduct.

You are never nasty, but I have seen you encourage people to calm down. You have even done me that way.

No, the discussion is not "all about USMB", Radioman. Could be facebook or any social networking site. I foresee a need to revise TOS across the board for US-based web-sites as anti-bullying laws become more prevalent. Meanwhile, I agree with Ernie -- a public flogging is a good way to discourage such conduct.

You are never nasty, but I have seen you encourage people to calm down. You have even done me that way.

Well then the answer is that it would be up to each individual webmaster, or the company that runs the website, as to what their TOS should be. I see no reason why they should be compelled to do so by law.

I dunno about "killing a board", IMEURU. My source of aggravation has been perma-banned and USMB seems to be doing okay. (I have no clue why the ban was put on, nor do I care. It may have had nothing to do with me.)

The other problem with your POV is, you seem to feel that board's Mods should do nothing unless the conduct is plainly criminal. Even if they ignore all conduct that is tortious aka for which a lawsuit can be filed -- which BTW may create liability for the board -- there are new laws about bullying that make some conduct of the sort you describe at least colorably criminal.

My own feeling is, if a REASONABLE person would find the complained-of conduct seriously aggravating, the Mods should act. If a lesser form of discipline stops the bad conduct fine, but if not, a ban is in order.

At least that is my own POV.

and I happened to find your source of aggravation entertaining.
Inventing crimes because people are weenies is bullshit.

dilloduck wrote:

Agreed--whoever runs the joint calls the shots. If I don't like it I can move on. People really need to learn that this place isn't real. If the identity you choose to be here gets trashed, you are not trashed.

"Moving on" is fine -- for USMB. What about facebook, or LinkedIn, or some of the other, larger sites?

And this discussion is not about those who call 911 when they chip a nail, dilloduck. Nobody is gonna deny that USMBers go through a whole lot more tissues than seems strictly necessary.

dilloduck wrote:

"Moving on" is fine -- for USMB. What about facebook, or LinkedIn, or some of the other, larger sites?

And this discussion is not about those who call 911 when they chip a nail, dilloduck. Nobody is gonna deny that USMBers go through a whole lot more tissues than seems strictly necessary.

Those sites have an anti-harassment policy already in place.

dilloduck wrote:

Internet lawyers--internet cops--internet judges--internet juries ?

:puke:

dilloduck wrote:

For sure, this is an exploding area of law, dilloduck. But yanno, before the invention of the telephone, there was no crime of telephone harrassment, etc. Nothing has altered our lives like the net, and this is just one unpleasant side effect of it.

dilloduck wrote:

Those sites have an anti-harassment policy already in place.

I have not looked to see if they have changed lately, Radioman. I'd be shocked if they had not. I know from the chit chat, facebook has new rules in place for hate speech.

dilloduck wrote:

For sure, this is an exploding area of law, dilloduck. But yanno, before the invention of the telephone, there was no crime of telephone harrassment, etc. Nothing has altered our lives like the net, and this is just one unpleasant side effect of it.

In our never ending search for security we put ourselves in cages. It's just plain stupid and leads people to continue the futile search for security. There is no security and frankly I'm tired of having to constantly adjust my behavior because someone finds some new way to be afraid or have their feelings hurt. We are here voluntarily and at the risk of being banned at anytime. The existence of our little alter egos can be erased by the staff here whenever they feel like it.

dilloduck wrote:

In our never ending search for security we put ourselves in cages. It's just plain stupid and leads people to continue the futile search for security. There is no security and frankly I'm tired of having to constantly adjust my behavior because someone finds some new way to be afraid or have their feelings hurt. We are here voluntarily and at the risk of being banned at anytime. The existence of our little alter egos can be erased by the staff here whenever they feel like it.

Well, I will say, I can a problem with banning hate speech. I am less sympathetic towards protecting anyone's felt need to harrass another member, but WTF even knows what qualifies as "hate speech"? The freedom of speech types over on facebook bitched like hell and still are, and I can't say I blame them.

Yes, facebook is private and not government owned and yes, they could ban the use of the letter "e" if they wanted...it's up to them. But if you cannot speak freely on the net because all the sites are fearful of complaints from PC types, haven't you lost a significant freedom? Are we all gonna buy our own servers and host mini-me forums?

It is not easy to move through this morass, dilloduck. For anyone...I'm sure the Mod Squads have it worse than you or I.

The Ignore Feature is your friend.

The vast majority of stalkers lose interest when they don't get a reaction. Threads like this one just encourage the stalker, who if typical, is craving any attention whatsoever, including the negative variety.

dilloduck wrote:

Well, I will say, I can a problem with banning hate speech. I am less sympathetic towards protecting anyone's felt need to harrass another member, but WTF even knows what qualifies as "hate speech"? The freedom of speech types over on facebook bitched like hell and still are, and I can't say I blame them.

Yes, facebook is private and not government owned and yes, they could ban the use of the letter "e" if they wanted...it's up to them. But if you cannot speak freely on the net because all the sites are fearful of complaints from PC types, haven't you lost a significant freedom? Are we all gonna buy our own servers and host mini-me forums?

It is not easy to move through this morass, dilloduck. For anyone...I'm sure the Mod Squads have it worse than you or I.

We are only as free as the staff here decides. Dilloduck can be deleted from this site for no reason. This morass is only hard to wade thru if you pretend it is real. The moderators are volunteers and excercise a bit more control than the rest of the alter egos on here yet you feel sorry for them ?

The fun of being someone's obsession does wear thin fast. I know scarcely any woman anywhere on the 'net that has not been harrassed, and I know of one case where the man doing the harrassment ended up in prison.

Some people turn on the pc and lose their fucking minds. It's as if they are on drugs. They cannot seem to grasp that they are interacting with other humans, and that their on-line conduct can have off-line consequences.

IMO, when a woman tells a man she wishes to be left alone (or a man tells a woman, or man to man, and so on) there should be a ginormous pressure on that person to comply. Mebbe not a legal one, but nonetheless, after asking someone to leave you in peace, there should be some relief.

What say you, folks? Should net stalking victims be better protected?

:lol:

This is Entertaining on about 3 different levels... :thup:

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back