Net Stalkers

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
The fun of being someone's obsession does wear thin fast. I know scarcely any woman anywhere on the 'net that has not been harrassed, and I know of one case where the man doing the harrassment ended up in prison.

Some people turn on the pc and lose their fucking minds. It's as if they are on drugs. They cannot seem to grasp that they are interacting with other humans, and that their on-line conduct can have off-line consequences.

IMO, when a woman tells a man she wishes to be left alone (or a man tells a woman, or man to man, and so on) there should be a ginormous pressure on that person to comply. Mebbe not a legal one, but nonetheless, after asking someone to leave you in peace, there should be some relief.

What say you, folks? Should net stalking victims be better protected?

Last edited:
Yes I think net stalking victims should have better protection.
Not sure how we would go about it though, But I guess it would create some more jobs for those monitoring and enforcing net stalking rules.
Ohh wait we need some rules first....

I however encourage women to stalk me.
Please victimize me ladies.

No guys allowed though.

The fun of being someone's obsession does wear thin fast. I know scarcely any woman anywhere on the 'net that has not been harrassed, and I know of one case where the man doing the harrassment ended up in prison.

Some people turn on the pc and lose their fucking minds. It's as if they are on drugs. They cannot seem to grasp that they are interacting with other humans, and that their on-line conduct can have off-line consequences.

IMO, when a woman tells a man she wishes to be left alone (or a man tells a woman, or man to man, and so on) there should be a ginormous pressure on that person to comply. Mebbe not a legal one, but nonetheless, after asking someone to leave you in peace, there should be some relief.

Define stalknig

Define stalknig

Well now that would be the first step in setting up laws/rules about stalking.

Define stalknig

Well now that would be the first step in setting up laws/rules about stalking.

Shouldn't be that hard. We have dozens here who love to announce they are victims of it.

• Banned
Well, bear in mind dilloduck, no lawyer in the country has a complete handle on all the emerging internet law. Every time a tragedy makes the news, law makers all over the place rush to pass new bills and most have not been litigated, so if they seem vague, we dun know how to apply them yet.

So, in general.....

Stalking is not all that different on-line than it is IRL. The conduct must be deliberate and must place a reasonable person of the victims's age, sex, etc. in fear or apprehension of harm. So, merely sending your whole list of email contacts a joke a day for a year does not mean you are stalking anyone.....there must be a perceived risk of harm or threat.

You stalk someone on-line when you follow them from one web site to another, or from a web site to RL (far more serious). I'll come back to this in a second.

An aside: you can violate the law on-line even if you do not stalk. You can harrass and bully. A popular crime these days seems to be creating a sex ad for a person, usually a woman, along with her real phone number and address and then letting the pervs on Planet Earth do your dirty work.

Likewise, you can invade someone's privacy on-line. It is less clear to me whether doing so would ever be criminal without elements of stalking, harrassment or bullying, though. If the victim is not already famous (a public figure), you can invade their privacy by revealing intimate details of their life that a reasonable person would want kept private, no matter how you came by that information. Or by hanging up their image, again, no matter how you came by it. Another popular way to invade someone's privacy is to hack them or bypass their privacy protections to acquire information or images they did not want you to have, or to acquire contact information on a person in the course of business, e.g., and abuse it for personal reasons without their consent. Or vice versa.

If you think any of this is clear as a bell, think again.

But here's my question: As I have said, stalking does not usually contemplate following someone around the same website. And yet, as you know, I feel such a thing happened to me here. I think others on USMB may feel it has happened to them as well. When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

Nothing? Public condemnation? Let each victim handle it on their own?

What say you?

Last edited:
Well, bear in mind dilloduck, no lawyer in the country has a complete handle on all the emerging internet law. Every time a tragedy makes the news, law makers all over the place rush to pass new bills and most have not been litigated, so if they seem vague, we dun know how to apply them yet.

So, in general.....

Stalking is not all that different on-line than it is IRL. The conduct must be deliberate and must place a reasonable person of the victims's age, sex, etc. in fear or apprehension of harm. So, merely sending your whole list of email contacts a joke a day for a year does not mean you are stalking anyone.....there must be a perceived risk of harm or threat.

You stalk someone on-line when you follow them from one web site to another, or from a web site to RL (far more serious). I'll come back to this in a second.

An aside: you can violate the law on-line even if you do not stalk. You can harrass and bully. A popular crime these days seems to be creating a sex ad for a person, usually a woman, along with her real phone number and address and then letting the pervs on Planet Earth do your dirty work.

Likewise, you can invade someone's privacy on-line. It is less clear to me whether doing so would ever be criminal without elements of stalking, harrassment or bullying, though. If the victim is not already famous (a public figure), you can invade their privacy by revealing intimate details of their life that a reasonable person would want kept private, no matter how you came by that information. Or by hanging up their image, again, no matter how you came by it. Another popular way to invade someone's privacy is to hack them or bypass their privacy protections to acquire information or images they did not want you to have, or to acquire contact information on a person in the course of business, e.g., and abuse it for personal reasons without their consent. Or vice versa.

But here's my question: As I have said, stalking does not usually contemplate following someone around the same website. And yet, as you know, I feel such a thing happened to me here. I think others on USMB may feel it has happened to them as well. When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

What say you?

I say that 99% of what is claimed as stalking comes from people who don't know how to simply ignore idiots.

dilloduck wrote:

I say that 99% of what is claimed as stalking comes from people who don't know how to simply ignore idiots.

So, IYO, stalking should not be a crime? Ever?

It's hard for me to imagine anyone making a decision to be on the internet and expecting someone to protect them from anything. It's a fanatasy la la land. Exactly how am I harmed if someone decides to post some insane BS about me ? We have people here who get offended if you spell a word wrong.
People need to learn the distinction between virtual and real.

So, in general.....

What say you?

There is some truth to what you say, though I'd estimate a lesser amount. I've never been stalked online or in real life but I always thought that if I ever was stalked and ignoring the stalker didn't work, my best defence would be to stalk back. I would think having the tables turned on a stalker would be a major turn off.

I had a pervert follow me on the street one time and grab my ass. I turned around and started walking close behind him and he freaked and bolted. Maybe that wasn't the wisest thing to do but I was pissed off and seeing him scurry off like a scared rabbit gave me a big laugh.

So, in general.....

What say you?

There is some truth to what you say, though I'd estimate a lesser amount. I've never been stalked online or in real life but I always thought that if I ever was stalked and ignoring the stalker didn't work, my best defence would be to stalk back. I would think having the tables turned on a stalker would be a major turn off.

I had a pervert follow me on the street one time and grab my ass. I turned around and started walking close behind him and he freaked and bolted. Maybe that wasn't the wisest thing to do but I was pissed off and seeing him scurry off like a scared rabbit gave me a big laugh.

and I'll never do it again. :cool:

You need no protection from me, Maddie.

When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

Then your time is up at that board and it's time to move on. Knowing some will follow you just to harass you, you have to get a new name.
That's what I did. That's why I'm here.
Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing one can do about it. There are no internet police and admins taking a stand just kills the board. The only option is to bail.

dilloduck wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine anyone making a decision to be on the internet and expecting someone to protect them from anything. It's a fanatasy la la land. Exactly how am I harmed if someone decides to post some insane BS about me ? We have people here who get offended if you spell a word wrong.

People need to learn the distinction between virtual and real.

Well, remember now, I told you that for a crime of stalking to take place, the acts of the perpetrator must be such that would put a reasonable person of the victim's age, sex, etc.in fear of apprehension of harm. The law does not protect the super-sensitive person who belly aches every time someone tells them to fuck off.

Setting aside criminal charges and lawsuits for tortious conduct, what about a website's TOS? Should there be a new internet etiquette designed to prevent stalking, bullying and harrassment that is merely annoying as shit (and would be to a reasonable person - again, no one wants to protect the super-sensitive) but not threatening?

Last edited:

So, in general.....

What say you?

I think in most cases a public verbal flogging should do it. If a pattern continues the host site should remove the stalker.

When someone religiously posts to every thread you are in for the purpose of insulting you and trolling the thread, what should be done?

Then your time is up at that board and it's time to move on. Knowing some will follow you just to harass you, you have to get a new name.
That's what I did. That's why I'm here.
Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing one can do about it. There are no internet police and admins taking a stand just kills the board. The only option is to bail.

Words made you run ?

and I'll never do it again. :cool:
You almost lost your tail feathers.

Anguille wrote:

Stalking back is a very high-risk tactic, Anguille. I would never reccommend it.

BTW you were assaulted, not stalked. If that man had done you that way every day for a week, then it might be stalking. This is a crime that takes time to commit.

Forum List

Back