CDZ Net neutrality....why the decision and whats the goal?

Here is what I am guessing is the end result:

Absolutely nothing of relevance will change.

But we will get a lot of leftist tears, since their favorite international mega-corporations support the policy. This is good news.
If there is a way to squeeze money out of the American people, the GOP will find it.

You know that to be true. So stop with the "leftist tears".

All internet traffic isn't equal. Why should it be forced to be treated equally?

I feel the obvious retort is: Bob feels you aren't his equal. Why should he be forced to treat you so.

First we'd say military and 911 service internet is obviously more important. After that it gets fuzzy and left to the powers that be to decide. Then commercial over recreational? Or him with more dollars over her with fewer bucks?

Feels? Huh? That's no comparison.

Netflix uses more bandwidth than say Deb's Cat Store website. Under NN, Netflix can't say "hey users, if you want super duper fast streaming with zero buffering you can pay a bit more and access that". With NN everyone gets to have the same speed even though everything doesn't consume the same amount of bandwidth. On its face that doesn't make sense. Shouldn't those consuming more have the ability to charge more? Now by comparison, Deb's Cat Store website speed will be 'slower' but that's relative. 10 seconds to load vs instantaneous. If you don't want the 'super duper fast' lane, don't pay for it. If companies decide to ridiculously jack prices for internet, people will find alternative sources and/or leave. Or someone will come up with something else. They always do. WE are the powers that be, as WE decide what we will or will not tolerate in the market.

The internet has worked perfectly fine since the early 90's. Rolling back NN will ensure that it stays that way.

I think I follow but under Net Neutrality I HAD/HAVE Netflix with streaming and no buffering. I'm in St Louis and found 5 meg DSL internet could work Netflix on two devices and Splatoon or Youtube on another fine, excellent on the 100 meg cable (which is really 60 meg lol).

A part of me agrees that Netflix is using more of the internet provider's bandwidth (if that matters) and should pay for it. Its not like they have since the 90's though and it actually mattered in the 90's when content forced the high speed internet move.

The part that gets me is how non open the internet provider market is.

Most places in St Louis have 2.5ish choices Cable, DSL or stretching it a bit here, using your phone as a hot spot or a satellite service. Are we predicting an increase with the rollback?

But we will get a lot of leftist tears, since their favorite international mega-corporations support the policy. This is good news.
If there is a way to squeeze money out of the American people, the GOP will find it.

You know that to be true. So stop with the "leftist tears".

Be nice to the R's. You need them to vote your way, not to anger them into digging in their heels.

When they passed NN a couple of years ago, the right was screaming that the internet would end, people would be getting charged out the butt for faster lanes, that it was all going to be just awful.

I didn't notice a damn difference.

Shoe is on the other foot and my prediction is the end result will be the same.
The last time they tried to kill net neutrality was 2006, the last time Republicans where in charge. it will take a year or two for any of us to feel the heat.

When they passed NN a couple of years ago, the right was screaming that the internet would end, people would be getting charged out the butt for faster lanes, that it was all going to be just awful.

I didn't notice a damn difference.

Shoe is on the other foot and my prediction is the end result will be the same.
The last time they tried to kill net neutrality was 2006, the last time Republicans where in charge. it will take a year or two for any of us to feel the heat.

So NN got axed in 2006 and stayed that way until 2015?

Forum List

Back