CDZ Net Neutrality & The Media Conspiracy Theories

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
First, does "the media" include the national internet provider corporations?

How does the repeal of net neutrality play with the conspiracy theory of the media being biased against the Republican Party?

My theory is if "the media" includes companies like Comcast, AT&T, CenturyLink, Cox Communications, Spring, Hughes, Charter, now the media has the option to throttle down or charge extra to Fox.com or RusLImbaugh.net or whatever.

Assuming so, this impresses me as a fight for ideology on the R's side where even if it hurts they fought for less regulation.

Maybe there are other FCC rules which would allow a company like Comcast to be forced to put forth another company like the Republican National Committee's point of view? Can the FCC make Fox give half their time to the Michael Keaton hippie news hour? Can the FCC make Comcast broadcast smut tv as part of their basic package?

Educate me please.

How does the repeal of net neutrality play with the conspiracy theory of the media being biased against the Republican Party?

My theory is if "the media" includes companies like Comcast, AT&T, CenturyLink, Cox Communications, Spring, Hughes, Charter, now the media has the option to throttle down or charge extra to Fox.com or RusLImbaugh.net or whatever.

Assuming so, this impresses me as a fight for ideology on the R's side where even if it hurts they fought for less regulation.

Maybe there are other FCC rules which would allow a company like Comcast to be forced to put forth another company like the Republican National Committee's point of view? Can the FCC make Fox give half their time to the Michael Keaton hippie news hour? Can the FCC make Comcast broadcast smut tv as part of their basic package?

Educate me please.
Don't listen to the name of the program....because it's intentionally misleading.
Net Neutrality made it legal for service providers to slow the transfer of information on specific websites....like Netflix and YouTube....by design rendering them useless.
Most of them have to do with this crazy idea that fairness means giving unpopular sites an advantage over more popular sites.
So essentially Net Neutrality gave the government the power to direct internet providers to slow down bit streams from sites they don't like.
This is basically a form of censorship.
Net Neutrality supporters defended their argument by claiming their wonderful regulations will prevent providers from charging more for faster speeds.
Well, they're gonna do that anyway.
The number one reason the Establishment wants Net Neutrality is because it turns the internet into a public utility that they can tax......and control.

Last edited:

Educate me please.
Don't listen to the name of the program....because it's intentionally misleading.
Net Neutrality made it legal for service providers to slow the transfer of information on specific websites.
Most of them have to do with this crazy idea that fairness means giving unpopular sites an advantage over more popular sites.
Usually the unpopular sites are leftist sites.
So essentially Net Neutrality gave the government the power to direct internet providers to slow down bit streams from sites they don't like.
Net Neutrality supporters defended their argument by claiming their wonderful regulations will prevent providers from charging more for faster speeds.
The number one reason the Establishment wants Net Neutrality is because it turns the internet into a public utility that they can tax......and control.

^ winner.

I honestly have not seen any difference since the regulations were put in place under Obama.
Apparently a couple providers were prioritizong their video service over those of other companies, or not counting theirs towards data limits?

Honestly I have not noticed much a difference myself.

Lets hope everyone keeps behaving.

does "the media" include the national internet provider corporations?

In many ways the two are, from a business integration POV, converging; however there are clear differences. Basically, media pertains to content production and deliver, whereas "internet providing" is an infrastructural technology business. The latter provides, among other things, a delivery mode for the former.
My theory is if "the media" includes companies like Comcast, AT&T, CenturyLink, Cox Communications, Spring, Hughes, Charter,...throttle down...
In that context, telecom firms and media firms are not one in the same.

Educate me please.

I'm not going to do the reading and produce a literature review for you, but I'll point you to some likely helpful reference content that you can use to educate yourself.

Educate me please.
Net Neutrality made it legal for service providers to slow the transfer of information on specific websites....like Netflix and YouTube....by design rendering them useless.
quote) this is not true, Net Neutrality means just what it's name say's. equal for all.

Forum List

Back