Neoliberals = Self Righteous Cynics

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
When I say "neoliberals," i'm refering those with a mindset typical to most of USMB's self described liberals. I refuse to call them liberals simply because in my opinion they are anything but true liberals. A true liberal believes in live and let live liberty, not the authoritarian imposition of what they think is right for everyone. That, is decidedly Non-liberal.

The two most obvious character traits of the neoliberal is cynicism and the self-rightous belief that not only do they know better than others what is good for them, but they are also entitled to do whatever it takes to impose their views upon them. First, I say they're cynics because they obviously have zero faith in the overall goodness of humanity. To believe that social ills and inequities will never get resolved in the course of normal human progess betrays a striking absence of confidence in one's fellow man. And to take that a step further and believe that one's own opinion of right and wrong is so superior to everyone else's demonstrates a deep seeded feeling of self-righteousness historically reserved for bible thumpers. The similarities between modern neoliberals and the puritans, inquisitors and moors of the past vasty outweigh the differences. Quite simply, neoliberalism is a religion without a deity.

Neo-Liberals are really Progressives.

It's a shame that they have perverted the meaning of the word Liberal, which more appropriately should be associated with Classical Liberalim.

Part of their strategy does involve twisting the meaning of words, as we see demonstrated on a daily basis.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Just as a side note, I've been reading some Hegel philosophy and he thought that if the state existed solely to protect property then it would essentially exist for the individual themselves. This was a no-no according to him.

Neo-Liberals are really Progressives.

It's a shame that they have perverted the meaning of the word Liberal, which more appropriately should be associated with Classical Liberalim.

Part of their strategy does involve twisting the meaning of words, as we see demonstrated on a daily basis.

I wish someone would put a montage together about how many times in the 20th century where 'liberals' constantly made a distinction between what they are currently saying and what liberals used to think.

When I say "neoliberals," i'm refering those with a mindset typical to most of USMB's self described liberals. I refuse to call them liberals simply because in my opinion they are anything but true liberals. A true liberal believes in live and let live liberty, not the authoritarian imposition of what they think is right for everyone. That, is decidedly Non-liberal.

The two most obvious character traits of the neoliberal is cynicism and the self-rightous belief that not only do they know better than others what is good for them, but they are also entitled to do whatever it takes to impose their views upon them. First, I say they're cynics because they obviously have zero faith in the overall goodness of humanity. To believe that social ills and inequities will never get resolved in the course of normal human progess betrays a striking absence of confidence in one's fellow man. And to take that a step further and believe that one's own opinion of right and wrong is so superior to everyone else's demonstrates a deep seeded feeling of self-righteousness historically reserved for bible thumpers. The similarities between modern neoliberals and the puritans, inquisitors and moors of the past vasty outweigh the differences. Quite simply, neoliberalism is a religion without a deity.

I totally agree with you....but think it could apply to both sides of the political spectrum

Don't you?

I totally agree with you....but think it could apply to both sides of the political spectrum

Don't you?

No because conservatives get their moral superiority from their personal beliefs based on their religion while liberals get it from their political beliefs. Its why liberals say things like "i'm a liberal which makes me not a racist' and conservatives say "I'm a christian therefore not a racist".

If this is wrong then ask yourself where do liberals get their values from. Do they get them from their politics or from a religion?

There's another way to view this:

Progressives believe that institutions and government structures can minimize the impact of human imperfections. Hence, they strive to increase the scope of government control over individuals. Their solution is to pass hate laws and laws against discrimination.

Classical Liberals (who are now Fiscal Conservatives/Social Liberals), realize that government control often has unintended negative consequences. Witness how race relations are deteriorating as more laws create a hyper awareness of racial issues. A classical liberal would combat racism by stressing the supremacy of the individual in a free society, and the equal rights of each individual to live his life without interference by others.

It is not necessary to be a Christian to accept the "inalienable" nature of individual rights.

Don't you?

No because conservatives get their moral superiority from their personal beliefs based on their religion while liberals get it from their political beliefs. Its why liberals say things like "i'm a liberal which makes me not a racist' and conservatives say "I'm a christian therefore not a racist".

If this is wrong then ask yourself where do liberals get their values from. Do they get them from their politics or from a religion?

Doesn't seem like anyone I know

The Obama administration is not passing on personal beliefs, they are looking at critical problems (economy, healthcare, nuclear weapons) and addressing them. Just like they were elected to do

No because conservatives get their moral superiority from their personal beliefs based on their religion

No such thing as a conservative atheist?

No such thing as a devout liberal?

Are you really this stupid?

Last edited:
No because conservatives get their moral superiority from their personal beliefs based on their religion

Explain to me why Obama can tell the NYSE that they made to much money and have the left say 'it is wrong' for them to be rich. What do they base this on? Are they quoting bible scripture like Christians do when they disagree with abortion? Its like they are saying my own personal moral beliefs are identical to my political beliefs which makes modern liberalism much more like a religion.

I know that conservative say things like conservative family values but that is because we have fallen into this trap of equating our personal beliefs with political beliefs.

Don't you?

Doesn't seem like anyone I know

The Obama administration is not passing on personal beliefs, they are looking at critical problems (economy, healthcare, nuclear weapons) and addressing them. Just like they were elected to do

"At some point, I think you made to much money". Apparently he feels that other people are to rich and has to be stopped.

Explain to me why Obama can tell the NYSE that they made to much money and have the left say 'it is wrong' for them to be rich. What do they base this on? Are they quoting bible scripture like Christians do when they disagree with abortion? Its like they are saying my own personal moral beliefs are identical to my political beliefs which makes modern liberalism much more like a religion.

I know that conservative say things like conservative family values but that is because we have fallen into this trap of equating our personal beliefs with political beliefs.

Explain to me why you didn't answer a single question

Please post a link where he says "it is wrong for them to be rich."

Sounds like you've got an earful of conservative talking-head theater.

There's another way to view this:

Progressives believe that institutions and government structures can minimize the impact of human imperfections. Hence, they strive to increase the scope of government control over individuals. Their solution is to pass hate laws and laws against discrimination.

Classical Liberals (who are now Fiscal Conservatives/Social Liberals), realize that government control often has unintended negative consequences. Witness how race relations are deteriorating as more laws create a hyper awareness of racial issues. A classical liberal would combat racism by stressing the supremacy of the individual in a free society, and the equal rights of each individual to live his life without interference by others.

It is not necessary to be a Christian to accept the "inalienable" nature of individual rights.

I've noticed this as well but I also see the same progressive idea that government has to minimize human imperfection in conservatives as well. Think of 'family values' and tax breaks that are designed to promote the family institution in society. Its just as bad as taxing cigs and tanning salons because both are a way that government uses its power to minimize the impact of human imperfection or the use of their own free will that doesn't jive with the current people in power.

In my opinion, progressivism is the true disease in this country that has to be wiped out in both parties.

Last edited:

I hear every time that we want some kind of flat tax and here about the injustice of the rich getting richer. I'm not going to waste my time finding something that I know is true simply because you wiped it from your memory.

heheheheh...talk about self-righteous.

btw, you spelled righteous incorrectly and wtf does vasty mean?

"The two most obvious character traits of the neoliberal is cynicism and the self-rightous belief that not only do they know better than others what is good for them, but they are also entitled to do whatever it takes to impose their views upon them."

if these are the teo most obvious characterisc of neo-liberals then glenn beck, rush limbaugh, ann coulter, millions of tea baggers and conservatives and every con on this board must be closet neo-liberals since they, too, exhibit those very same traits.

perhaps another obvious trait of the neo-cons who infest America is just how stupid they all are...

it takes a very stupid person to accuse others of the same traits that they so obviously possess...

now
really
try to be honest

aren't you cynical about America and the liberals you believe are destroying it?
(come on...try no tto lie....)
and don't you truely believe that liberals are STUPID and CONSERVATIVES are SMART?
and don't you believe that conservatives know what is best for America?

of course you do!

And they are currently running our country with impunity: Obama/Pelosi/Reid

I hear every time that we want some kind of flat tax and here about the injustice of the rich getting richer. I'm not going to waste my time finding something that I know is true simply because you wiped it from your memory.

My apologies, you didn't quote Obama as making that statement (never has, nothing close), you've got "the left" saying it, whoever that is.

Getting richer by exploiting the poor? Yes it's wrong, but moreover it's un-sustainable. That's what you cons have to get through your thick heads, it's not just moral policing here, it's the fact that when you get too much wealth concentration you wind up with a very unstable economy. And an unstable economy is an unstable everything.

Forum List

Back