Neoliberals = Self Righteous Cynics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, May 23, 2010.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,934
    When I say "neoliberals," i'm refering those with a mindset typical to most of USMB's self described liberals. I refuse to call them liberals simply because in my opinion they are anything but true liberals. A true liberal believes in live and let live liberty, not the authoritarian imposition of what they think is right for everyone. That, is decidedly Non-liberal.

The two most obvious character traits of the neoliberal is cynicism and the self-rightous belief that not only do they know better than others what is good for them, but they are also entitled to do whatever it takes to impose their views upon them. First, I say they're cynics because they obviously have zero faith in the overall goodness of humanity. To believe that social ills and inequities will never get resolved in the course of normal human progess betrays a striking absence of confidence in one's fellow man. And to take that a step further and believe that one's own opinion of right and wrong is so superior to everyone else's demonstrates a deep seeded feeling of self-righteousness historically reserved for bible thumpers. The similarities between modern neoliberals and the puritans, inquisitors and moors of the past vasty outweigh the differences. Quite simply, neoliberalism is a religion without a deity.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,875
    Neo-Liberals are really Progressives.

It's a shame that they have perverted the meaning of the word Liberal, which more appropriately should be associated with Classical Liberalim.

Part of their strategy does involve twisting the meaning of words, as we see demonstrated on a daily basis.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Why must you attempt to put a LABEL on everyone? Are your brains simply too small to handle individuals without a label?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    These are my thoughts exactly.

Just as a side note, I've been reading some Hegel philosophy and he thought that if the state existed solely to protect property then it would essentially exist for the individual themselves. This was a no-no according to him.

5. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I wish someone would put a montage together about how many times in the 20th century where 'liberals' constantly made a distinction between what they are currently saying and what liberals used to think.

6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    I totally agree with you....but think it could apply to both sides of the political spectrum

Don't you?

7. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    No because conservatives get their moral superiority from their personal beliefs based on their religion while liberals get it from their political beliefs. Its why liberals say things like "i'm a liberal which makes me not a racist' and conservatives say "I'm a christian therefore not a racist".

If this is wrong then ask yourself where do liberals get their values from. Do they get them from their politics or from a religion?

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,875
    There's another way to view this:

Progressives believe that institutions and government structures can minimize the impact of human imperfections. Hence, they strive to increase the scope of government control over individuals. Their solution is to pass hate laws and laws against discrimination.

Classical Liberals (who are now Fiscal Conservatives/Social Liberals), realize that government control often has unintended negative consequences. Witness how race relations are deteriorating as more laws create a hyper awareness of racial issues. A classical liberal would combat racism by stressing the supremacy of the individual in a free society, and the equal rights of each individual to live his life without interference by others.

It is not necessary to be a Christian to accept the "inalienable" nature of individual rights.

9. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    Doesn't seem like anyone I know

The Obama administration is not passing on personal beliefs, they are looking at critical problems (economy, healthcare, nuclear weapons) and addressing them. Just like they were elected to do

10. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    No such thing as a conservative atheist?

No such thing as a devout liberal?

Are you really this stupid?

Last edited: May 23, 2010