Neo-idolatry in christianism!

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Freeman, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Freeman

Freeman VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +382
    “Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?” ―Psalm 94:16

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments."-Exodus 20-4

I don't know if there is catholics here, but I really wonder how Rome has invented trinity in 325 then worship of idols while people are belived in One God (unity) from the time of Adam and Abraham :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Catholics do not, for the most part, worship idols. They use art to invoke a vision of the one they pray to. They aren't actually worshiping that there piece of wood, plaster, or marble.

Baptists say that Catholics are indulging in idol worship because they have representations of biblically referenced beings; Jews claim that Baptists worship idols because they revere crosses; so it goes.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I Beck an idol?

4. Freeman

Freeman VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +382
    word of God in bible and Kuran are explicitly against idols and any form of representation.
    it's the abrahamic path of monotheism, ...but catholics has revived the idolatry because they were very attached with greek paganist culture :doubt:

5. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    but catholics has revived the idolatry because they were very attached with greek paganist culture
    -------------------------------------------

It's not idolatry and you have the relationship reversed with regard to pagans and Catholics. Statues and icons were not created to emulate the pagans, but to co-opt their religion by substituting pagan images with Christian ones. Its a strategy that was employed many times. Pagans would be allowed their traditional celebrations, but the focus and symbols would be changed to a Christain context. The strictures you reference are Old Testament and don't necessarily apply. After all, it was Jesus that said to Peter, "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matt. 16:19, KJV)

6. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Catholics are satanists. They have been since Constantine formed the Catholic Church (Church Universal).

This is all old news.

7. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    So Jesus was a satanist??? Didn't he say to Peter, "upon this rock I build my church"? (Matt.16:18,KJV)

8. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ?

While there's a case to be made that Jesus was a false messiah, nobody in this thread said he was a satanist until you.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Sure he did. And did he also say not to build your house on the shifting sands? Yet FL has many houses and churches.

10. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Through most of history the majority of people could not read and the church did not stay strictly in Rome. It's missonary's reached out as far as western civilization could go coming in contact with different cultures, races, languages, etc.
    So, how else do you tell a story? Pictures or symbols. Much of the statutes and things today mostly exist out of tradition more than anything else. Much of what the Catholic Church does is centered about an very long acculmulation of traditions. They were never items of worship but symbols of an ideal, a story, a tradition, whatever worked in whatever culture they were.