1. Neil Armstrong - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
  2. Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
  3. Charles "Pete" Conrad - Apollo 12 - November, 1969
  4. Alan Bean - Apollo 12 - November, 1969
  5. Alan Shepard - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
  6. Edgar Mitchell - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
  7. David Scott - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
  8. James Irwin - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
  9. John Young - Apollo 16 - April, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
  10. Charles Duke - Apollo 16 - April, 1972
  11. Eugene Cernan - Apollo 17 - December, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
  12. Harrison Schmitt - Apollo 17 - December, 1972
-- [ame="http://askville.amazon.com/humans-walked-moon/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=39326"]How many humans walked on the moon ?[/ame]
Thank you, Liability. That's a lot of people in a short time! I'd forgotten.

Here's an alternative list: List of Apollo astronauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

can we skip the arguments and concentrate on the man?

I am sad. I think the best way to memorialize him would be to build a memorial lunar lander of some kind, place his remains in it, and land it on the moon, there to remain for all time. The moon itself is the only proper and fitting memorial I can think of for the first human to step foot on it.

One of our last American heroes

Few realize how gutsy it was to go to the moon in 1969 with computers less powerful than your cell phone

I think the best way to memorialize him would be to build a memorial lunar lander of some kind, place his remains in it, and land it on the moon, there to remain for all time.

I don't mind as long as that or any of the events are prvately funded.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLR3v5WQGI]Apollo 11. Man on the moon. Music video.[/ame]

Neil Armstrong (August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012) the first man on the moon. :cool:

He came in peace for all mankind. :cool:

866px-Neil_Armstrong_pose.jpg

Just heard about it at NBC News.

He had bypass surgery August 9, died August 25.

He was the person who quipped "One giant leap for mankind"

Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82 - Cosmic Log

:salute: RIP Neil Armstrong. You were a true leader, never to be forgotten.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." Neil Armstrong

"Yeah, I wasn't chosen to be first. I was just chosen to command that flight. Circumstance put me in that particular role. That wasn't planned by anyone."

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine."

imagesCAS9HSI8-1.jpg

When i saw this on Yahoo's homepage in the "Breaking News" banner, i couldn't believe it. The first human to step foot on an alien world...dead. Just...wow.

Godspeed Neil Armstrong.

Comments have been coming in from all over the world, except from obama. He'll get around to it, between campaign stops.

Leave the politics out........

It is sad to hear of his passing. The Apollo program was from another age. Quite a feat for the USA to put a man on the moon.

on the NBC Nightly News website they originally had the headline that "Astronaut 'Neil Young,' first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82" but corrected it. No doubt a combination of freudian-slip/faux-pax really, they were probably just thinking how "young" Neil was to die at 82 with all the resources he must've had to live to a ripe old age.

Cosmic Log on NBC News.Com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back