Neil Armstrong Dies at 82

By NBC News
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.
Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news of "one giant leap for mankind." He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Please play nice, as though you were making your comments to comfort the Armstrong family, who have my deepest sympathies.

Last edited:
Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. Not many people did that and lived to talk about it to schoolchildren.

1. Neil Armstrong - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
  2. Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin - Apollo 11 - July, 1969
  3. Charles "Pete" Conrad - Apollo 12 - November, 1969
  4. Alan Bean - Apollo 12 - November, 1969
  5. Alan Shepard - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
  6. Edgar Mitchell - Apollo 14 - February, 1971
  7. David Scott - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
  8. James Irwin - Apollo 15 - July, 1971
  9. John Young - Apollo 16 - April, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
  10. Charles Duke - Apollo 16 - April, 1972
  11. Eugene Cernan - Apollo 17 - December, 1972 (also on Apollo 10, without landing)
  12. Harrison Schmitt - Apollo 17 - December, 1972
-- [ame=http://askville.amazon.com/humans-walked-moon/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=39326]How many humans walked on the moon ?[/ame]

Comments have been coming in from all over the world, except from obama. He'll get around to it, between campaign stops.

No!! Wow, so sad.

I was nine and down the (Jersey) shore with my family when he took that one giant leap. Vividly remember watching it, what a huge deal it was! I remember my dad kept trying to take Polaroid pics of it off the tv but they just kept coming out black.

I'm sure as they were getting off the craft and on to the moon, he pushed Buzz back and said, "Hey, I got this. Why don't you go check on our fuel supply."

He was one of the first ones the democrats told "You didn't do that"

RIP Great American.

They should have a State Funeral for him, but as private a person as he was later in life, I doubt the family will agree to it. Thier choice.

I think Neil Armstrong died a Muslim, I remember him speaking about the adhaan in space, but was pressured and isolated by politicians and people so he denied it

Are you mad? Everybody know's he experienced a miracle of God. And was thinking of Islam plenty and people trashed him for that, so he became a private person, I am positive he at least believed in the Islamic Shahadeh

Forum List

Back