Neighbors' son involved in attack in Iraq...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
My neighbors' son, Ryan Hallberg, has been stationed over in Iraq. 2 days ago, their hummer was hit by a roadside bomb, and flipped, and as the gunner, Ryan was hit the hardest. He is alive, but he may lose his left leg. How far up, I am not sure, as I didn't get the details. I have known Ryan and his family for 20 years, as they moved in across from my house (formerly my grandparents') on my 5th birthday, and their oldest daughter graduated the year before me in HS.

My uncle Bob works with Ryan's dad and he called and let us know that Tom & Conni (Ryan's mom & dad) have taken a red-eye flight to Germany, where Ryan has just come out of a 7 hour surgery to repair the several breaks in his leg, in order to try to save it. Tim and I have been asked to care for their cat and watch the house until they get home, which may not be for a while. Ryan is likely to be flown to Virginia for the rest of his recovery.

Just thought I would let everyone here know, as many here know someone over there. Ryan is ok, it is just his leg that may not be, but at least he is still alive.

Wow, that's something nobody ever wants to hear. Makes me thankful my dad made it through there safely, as well as the thousands of others. When you see him again, tell him that his sacrifices have not gone unnoticed.

Semper Fi said:
Wow, that's something nobody ever wants to hear. Makes me thankful my dad made it through there safely, as well as the thousands of others. When you see him again, tell him that his sacrifices have not gone unnoticed.
No, it was kind of a shock. I wondered where Tom & conni had gone in a hurry, but they often are gone for 1-2 days on or near weekends, for car shows (they own 2 show cars) and getting their summer toys from storage when the weather starts getting nice like this, so it wasn't anything I was really concerned about. Then my uncle Bob calls...

Ryan is only 22, so we are glad it is just his leg and not worse.

fuzzykitten99 said:
My neighbors' son, Ryan Hallberg, has been stationed over in Iraq. 2 days ago, their hummer was hit by a roadside bomb, and flipped, and as the gunner, Ryan was hit the hardest. He is alive, but he may lose his left leg. How far up, I am not sure, as I didn't get the details. I have known Ryan and his family for 20 years, as they moved in across from my house (formerly my grandparents') on my 5th birthday, and their oldest daughter graduated the year before me in HS.

My uncle Bob works with Ryan's dad and he called and let us know that Tom & Conni (Ryan's mom & dad) have taken a red-eye flight to Germany, where Ryan has just come out of a 7 hour surgery to repair the several breaks in his leg, in order to try to save it. Tim and I have been asked to care for their cat and watch the house until they get home, which may not be for a while. Ryan is likely to be flown to Virginia for the rest of his recovery.

Just thought I would let everyone here know, as many here know someone over there. Ryan is ok, it is just his leg that may not be, but at least he is still alive.
My prayers are with Ryan specifically today, all of those serving everyday! I hope things go better than they look right now.

I could only find one Ryan Hallberg - he's a SSG; at age 22 that's very impressive.

My prayers are with him and his family. Very difficult times ahead.

dmp said:
I could only find one Ryan Hallberg - he's a SSG; at age 22 that's very impressive.

SSG at 22? Wow. Good thing for the terrorists that they didn't blow his leg completely off, as he'd probably have used it to beat them to death.

But seriously, though, I feel for the guy, and he's in my prayers.

dmp said:

I believe he is about 22yo, I am not 100% sure of his exact age but I know he is younger than I am (i'm 25), but not by much, because he graduated a few years after me.

He enlisted right out (during actually) of high school, and was stationed in Indiana for about a year. He moved up the ranks pretty fast, from what I would hear from his dad. I don't see much of his parents in the winter (other than in passing) just because we are both usually busy. I see them more in summer because we are all usually putzing in the yard or garages.

Hobbit said:
SSG at 22? Wow. Good thing for the terrorists that they didn't blow his leg completely off, as he'd probably have used it to beat them to death.

Depending on the MOS it's not unheard of. I joined at 19, made E5 at 22? Had I any college credit coulda done it quicker.

ONE guy I met made E7 in 8 years.

that is SMOKING FAST. 10 years to E7 is 'quick'.

dmp said:
Depending on the MOS it's not unheard of. I joined at 19, made E5 at 22? Had I any college credit coulda done it quicker.

ONE guy I met made E7 in 8 years.

that is SMOKING FAST. 10 years to E7 is 'quick'.
i know Ryan got college credit in HS thru the Anoka High School PSEO program, so he was a year ahead of most of the other recruits. My sister has done the same thing.

The most important reason SSG Hallberg was promoted so fast was his work ethic and attitude. He is an outstanding soldier. I have worked with him on a previous deployment and have great respect for him. He is very ambitious.

Delaney said:
The most important reason SSG Hallberg was promoted so fast was his work ethic and attitude. He is an outstanding soldier. I have worked with him on a previous deployment and have great respect for him. He is very ambitious.
Good to hear more about him. I've been wondering how he and his family are doing?

Give him ALL of our regards and im praying for his leg. He's sacrificed enough just being there doing what he's doing. I hope he doesnt lose his leg. He's younger then me and about 10 times the man that i could ever be.

:salute:

fuzzykitten99 said:
Just got word yesterday, that they were able to save his leg, but he will need lots of PT, and it may not ever be 100% the same, but with a little work, luck, and prayers to avoid infection or any other setbacks, he will regain full use.

Sweet. :clap1:

fuzzykitten99 said:
Just got word yesterday, that they were able to save his leg, but he will need lots of PT, and it may not ever be 100% the same, but with a little work, luck, and prayers to avoid infection or any other setbacks, he will regain full use.

:thup:

fuzzykitten99 said:
You made my day! Great news!

I'm SSG Ryan Hallberg's younger brother of 17 (almost 18), and I just wanted to update that he is currently walking without any help, but still does not have feeling in his left leg from the knee down. His doctors are debating on whether or not they should take his leg even though it is completely free of infection simply because it has a chance of "dying" if the feeling does not come back. However, it is just talk right now, and nothing has been finalized. He is walking just as fast as he always did, and is not using crutches or a wheelchair anymore. I will say that a part of his personality is missing ever since his ordeal, and I greatly miss the Ryan I knew before he joined the military. But he's still my brother, and I love him very much.

HI again from a long time back

Forum List

Back