Neighbor's dog running loose...

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
There's a problem in my neighborhood. The people right across the street from me used to have two dogs. One would run loose and the other would always just stay in their yard. The yard is only partially fenced so the dogs are not prevented from leaving.

Anyway, due to lots of complaints from neighbors, they gave the wandering dog away. Now the dog they still have has started wandering around the neighborhood.

One particular neighbor is especially incensed by this. I saw him out my window today and he was chasing the dog with a can of bear spray in his hand. I ran outside and shouted at him, "Hey! You don't need to use bear spray on a dog!! That's a bit too much!" He replied that if the dog came at him he would sure spray it. I told him that dog wasn't aggressive, I've never seen this dog be the least bit aggressive. He said it was just being acting like it was going to come at him, down by his house.

So I said..."BULLSHIT!!!!" Because it is bullshit. I've been around this dog, and although it won't come to me and I can't pet it, it is certainly not showing any signs of aggression.

These people have called Animal Control numerous times, they are just obsessed with it. I spoke the Animal Control officer one time when he came around and told him the dog wasn't the least bit aggressive. He said he could see that.

Anyway, I left a note in the mailbox of the people with the dog, since they weren't home, and let them know what happened. And I gave them my phone number and said I wished there was something I could do to help. Suggested blocking in the yard and offered them a sheet of plywood I have that I don't need.

Of course they are in the wrong for letting their dog roam. But unfortunately it will be the dog who pays the price in the end.

Now, I feel upset because I yelled "bullshit" at the neighbor, even though he is full of bullshit. In the snap of a finger, you can make an enemy. But at the same time, their hatred of that dog is over the top.

I'm kind of confused. Why oh why do dramas involving animals have to play out right in front of me? I cannot disassociate when animals are involved.

Last edited:
There's a problem in my neighborhood. The people right across the street from me used to have two dogs. One would run loose and the other would always just stay in their yard. The yard is only partially fenced so the dogs are not prevented from leaving.

Anyway, due to lots of complaints from neighbors, they gave the wandering dog away. Now the dog they still have has started wandering around the neighborhood.

One particular neighbor is especially incensed by this. I saw him out my window today and he was chasing the dog with a can of bear spray in his hand. I ran outside and shouted at him, "Hey! You don't need to use bear spray on a dog!! That's a bit too much!" He replied that if the dog came at him he would sure spray it. I told him that dog wasn't aggressive, I've never seen this dog be the least bit aggressive. He said it was just being acting like it was going to come at him, down by his house.

So I said..."BULLSHIT!!!!" Because it is bullshit. I've been around this dog, and although it won't come to me and I can't pet it, it is certainly not showing any signs of aggression.

These people have called Animal Control numerous times, they are just obsessed with it. I spoke the Animal Control officer one time when he came around and told him the dog wasn't the least bit aggressive. He said he could see that.

Anyway, I left a note in the mailbox of the people with the dog, since they weren't home, and let them know what happened. And I gave them my phone number and said I wished there was something I could do to help. Suggested blocking in the yard and offered them a sheet of plywood I have that I don't need.

Of course they are in the wrong for letting their dog roam. But unfortunately it will be the dog who pays the price in the end.

Now, I feel upset because I yelled "bullshit" at the neighbor, even though he is full of bullshit. In the snap of a finger, you can make an enemy. But at the same time, their hatred of that dog is over the top.

I'm kind of confused. Why oh why do dramas involving animals have to play out right in front of me? I cannot disassociate when animals are involved.

My neighbor had two dogs that were fenced in...they barked a lot. They got out one morning while the kids were waiting for the bus. At first they weren't aggressive but as time wore on, they became more so...finally, almost attacking the kids as they got on the bus. My neighbor ended up staying in my house while we called animal control. Another neighbor came home but couldn't get out of her car...the dogs just kept getting more and more vicious. By noon I had called animal control 4 times. The cops finally showed up and pepper sprayed the dogs. Animal control finally got there and took them into custody and then delivered them to my neighbor (she had the licenses).

My point is that you don't know what dogs will become aggressive or not. Guess what kind of dogs have the highest chances of biting people? Think Lady and the Tramp. Yeah, cockerspanials have the worst record for biting people, this according to the animal control guy that came and gave a talk to my cubscouts.

Animals should be kept fenced in and then walked in the neighborhood regularly so they can become friendly with the neighbors. I can understand dogs getting out of a fenced in yard, but I don't understand owners that don't do their best to make sure their dogs can't get out of their fenced in area.

This dog isn't vicious and there's no reason he will suddenly start becoming vicious. I walked over to their house and knocked on their door...they weren't home but the dog was right there and didn't threaten me in any way. Unless some people think a dog staring at them is threatening.

And even if a dog was aggressive you don't need freaking bear spray to stop a dog. A small thing of pepper spray will do just fine.

This dog is not aggressive, no way, no how. Even the Animal Control officer agreed with me on that. The people are just saying the dog is aggressive to try and get more action out of Animal Control.

The owner of the dog is an ass for not being able to come up with a solution to this. But I don't want to see the animal suffer because he got stuck with an idiot for an owner. The owner has tried tying the dog up outside when he is gone. But then the dog howls like a wolf (actually he looks like he might have a pretty high percentage of wolf blood). And he shouldn't leave the dog tied up outside like that, a moose might come along and stomp the dog. Or another dog come along and attack him.

Last edited:
Set a bear loose to roam around... maybe it will eat the dog.

bear.jpg

This dog isn't vicious and there's no reason he will suddenly start becoming vicious. I walked over to their house and knocked on their door...they weren't home but the dog was right there and didn't threaten me in any way. Unless some people think a dog staring at them is threatening.

And even if a dog was aggressive you don't need freaking bear spray to stop a dog. A small thing of pepper spray will do just fine.

This dog is not aggressive, no way, no how. Even the Animal Control officer agreed with me on that. The people are just saying the dog is aggressive to try and get more action out of Animal Control.

The owner of the dog is an ass for not being able to come up with a solution to this. But I don't want to see the animal suffer because he got stuck with an idiot for an owner. The owner has tried tying the dog up outside when he is gone. But then the dog howls like a wolf (actually he looks like he might have a pretty high percentage of wolf blood). And he shouldn't leave the dog tied up outside like that, a moose might come along and stomp the dog. Or another dog come along and attack him.

The owner shouldn't have dogs if he can't care for them. Period.

And dramas play themselves out in front of you because you put yourself in the middle of them. The neighbor was in his rights. And any dog CAN become vicious, you're showing your ignorance if you think they can't.
Dogs with wolf blood are especially likely to be dangerous. They have a strong prey drive.

Another dog isn't going to hurt him. if another dog comes along,t hey will form a pack, and then the REAL fun will begin.

The owner is a douche, and so are you. The dog is going to get shot, let's hope it happens before he hurts someone or kills someone's pets or livestock.

The owner shouldn't have dogs if he can't care for them. Period.

And dramas play themselves out in front of you because you put yourself in the middle of them. The neighbor was in his rights. And any dog CAN become vicious, you're showing your ignorance if you think they can't.
Dogs with wolf blood are especially likely to be dangerous. They have a strong prey drive.

Another dog isn't going to hurt him. if another dog comes along,t hey will form a pack, and then the REAL fun will begin.

The owner is a douche, and so are you. The dog is going to get shot, let's hope it happens before he hurts someone or kills someone's pets or livestock.

The neighbor was not in his rights to come chasing down the street after the dog with a can of bear spray. Right in front of my house.

As for putting myself in the middle of things, read my signature.

I know dogs. This one is not going to hurt anyone. I agree that the owner is in the wrong. But I am concerned about the dog. I always advocate for animals. Perhaps the dog's owner will take me up on my offer to help. I know the owner of the house he is renting...I can convince him to let them close in the fence.

I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE DOG. If you think that makes me a douche bag, well, fuck you.

Last edited:
At last a happy ending. And to Hell with any of you who didn't feel for this dog.

She has been saved.

She now has two other dogs to live with. Instead of being tied out on a chain, she has a fenced yard to play in. She gets taken to the dog park and allowed to run around like crazy almost every day. She is loved and appreciated. She even had a bath.

Her personality has changed completely. She is no longer shy of strangers and is almost giddy with happiness at her new home.

The person who took her is a hero. Her former owner couldn't even be bothered to put up a sign saying that his dog was lost. Stupid fuck.

Thank God that this sweet special little soul got the home she deserves and a "pack" to be part of.

I wish these things always turned out so well.

That's nice.Thank goodness she didn't find a pack out on the street and hurt some poor little soul.

That's nice.Thank goodness she didn't find a pack out on the street and hurt some poor little soul.

What bullshit, koshergrl. She didn't have it in her to hurt anyone. SHE was the poor little soul.

You don't know much about dogs, do you?

I know a lot about dogs. I know a lot of retarded people, too, who say idiotic things like, "My dog would never hurt a soul, she's just playing with that horse" or "My dogs would never hurt a soul, they love children". Those people had their dogs put down for killing livestock and attacking children.

Loose dogs are dangerous dogs. I'm glad she got a home. But honestly, you're an idiot. I've never seen the dog that doesn't behave like a different animal when it packs up outside of human influence. They do what the pack does...whatever that is.

The exception is the occasional indepedent cow dog type, who will stake out a territory as his own and avoid trouble. But even those dogs can be taught to attack livestock by another dog. Once they learn, they don't unlearn it.

I know a lot about dogs. I know a lot of retarded people, too, who say idiotic things like, "My dog would never hurt a soul, she's just playing with that horse" or "My dogs would never hurt a soul, they love children". Those people had their dogs put down for killing livestock and attacking children.

Loose dogs are dangerous dogs. I'm glad she got a home. But honestly, you're an idiot. I've never seen the dog that doesn't behave like a different animal when it packs up outside of human influence. They do what the pack does...whatever that is.

The exception is the occasional indepedent cow dog type, who will stake out a territory as his own and avoid trouble. But even those dogs can be taught to attack livestock by another dog. Once they learn, they don't unlearn it.

Actually, you're the idiot, and a bitch as well.

You have no idea what I know about dogs. I have five dogs and when family with children visits I take absolute control of the situation. I also know that my minpin is much more likely to bite a child than one of my Dobermans. But I don't rule out the possibility that any one of them would bite if treated improperly. So I make sure it doesn't happen.

I have lived in places in Bush Alaska where stray dogs do in fact form packs and become dangerous. That is not the case with this dog in this city neighborhood. First of all, she was not a stray dog, she had a home, she was just allowed to run loose. Secondly, there are not swarms of stray dogs with which to form a pack. Just because a dog is friendly with other dogs does not mean they are going to form a pack and attack people.

And as far as dogs not bothering other dogs, you've apparently never been to a dog park, where people bring their dogs to run loose and meet other dogs. One of the main problems is fights breaking out. So dogs will, indeed, attack other dogs, even dogs within their own "pack." And a dog tied up outside in the open is vulnerable.

The whole point of my post was concern for this lovely dog and the wonderful, happy ending I got to witness. The people in the neighborhood who thought she was dangerous were the idiots, not me. I had her eating out of my hand, as did a few other dog lovers, including the one who took her. She is so gentle.

Anyway, enough with you. Nothing I say will change your mind. You think you're always right.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back