Needed. Dog Whisperer.

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
This is ridiculous but true. This lady Beagle I have adopted gets fed twice a day. Dry kibbles served up in a blue bowl. AM feeding no problem.. She snarfs it right down.. Evening feeding? Well, about halfway through she backs up from the bowl and starts the Beagle bounce and howl,, it's comical, but she will not finish until we go outside and pour the food out of that bowl,, Today she ate it right off the deck. What is her Beagle problem? Anybody ever heard of this behavior? :confused:

This is ridiculous but true. This lady Beagle I have adopted gets fed twice a day. Dry kibbles served up in a blue bowl. AM feeding no problem.. She snarfs it right down.. Evening feeding? Well, about halfway through she backs up from the bowl and starts the Beagle bounce and howl,, it's comical, but she will not finish until we go outside and pour the food out of that bowl,, Today she ate it right off the deck. What is her Beagle problem? Anybody ever heard of this behavior? :confused:

I have a beagle. Mine doesn't like getting wet. If it's raining, he tries to pee on the front steps. He jumps over puddles. He's quite prissy. :lol:

Oh, and I have no suggestions. Sometimes mine will take a mouthful of food from his bowl, drop it on the floor and eat it in front of where I'm sitting and eat it. I guess he's flaunting his meal? Beagles are strange creatures. I would ignore her, if possible. :lol:

I've never had a beagle. I've currently a neurotic Dachshund and have had equally neurotic, though different Cocker Spaniel and English Spaniel. Also a non-neurotic mutt spaniel. They would starve if wanted that kind of behavior on my part. ;)

Maybe she's full after the first feeding...if you want to feed her twice a day, try cutting down on the portions...

In Mexico; grown-ups control dogs and children...in America: dogs and children control grow-ups...
Cesar Millan (ph)

Maybe she's full after the first feeding...if you want to feed her twice a day, try cutting down on the portions...

In Mexico; grown-ups control dogs and children...in America: dogs and children control grow-ups...
Cesar Millan (ph)

I think you might be right, cause when she starts that howl we come a running,, jeez the whole freaking neighborhood can hear her.

I have a beagle. Mine doesn't like getting wet. If it's raining, he tries to pee on the front steps. He jumps over puddles. He's quite prissy. :lol:

Oh, and I have no suggestions. Sometimes mine will take a mouthful of food from his bowl, drop it on the floor and eat it in front of where I'm sitting and eat it. I guess he's flaunting his meal? Beagles are strange creatures. I would ignore her, if possible. :lol:

They are strange, This is the first one I've ever had the pleasure knowing and she's not like any other dog I have ever seen..

Well get used to it. :lol:

They tend to think their tuff at times. At least mine does. Nothing like a midget puffing himself up....'grrr, out of my way'. :lol:

My first German Shepherd had a funny habit. She would take a mouthful of kibble, trot upstairs to our bed, drop it and then eat it a piece at a time....then go down for another mouthful.

Go figure! :lol:

Very weird. When you put the food outside does she finish all of it?

I raised and bred beagles for 16 years. At one point in time I had 45 adult beagles. I've had quite a few litters of beagle pups and although I haven't seen it all, I've seen most of it at one time or another. I used to have this one beagle that when you fed him and gave him fresh water he would immediately poop in his water bowl! Out of all the beagles I've had over the years, he was the only one I ever seen do this. Beagles, like people, often do things that are hard to explain or simply don't have any rhyme or reason behind it.

:lol: She has you well trained.

Do you use the same bowl for a.m. and p.m. feedings? Is it washed in between? Might just be something that simple.

As soon as she starts howling at the pm. meal I'd take the dish away and not give it back. Meal is done. She has to associate that howling with something negative - no food. If you continue to do her bidding she will continue to demand that you do it. :)

Maybe he needs to poop halfway through dinner.

I'd either ignore it, or when he starts the behavior pick up the food and put it away.

I just yelled at my daughter who is laying on the couch next to me. I heard what I thought was her chewing her nails, chomp, chomp. I told her to knock it off about three times before I realized it was the Parson Russell terrorist bringing her kibble into the living room and crunching it on the other side of the couch.

Willow,

Is the normal routine in the evening after he eats you take him for a walk? Possibly he is excited about going out and doesn't want to miss a thing. My dog now, the second he is done, we have to run him outside or he will go inside. Like a little baby he cannot hold it.

okay so starting this evening if she pulls this stunt the food goes away,, Thanks for the advice. I'll let ya know how this works out.

wow that was hard to figure out...my rule...30 minutes to eat...food is down...dont eat food comes up...i would cut down her morning serving...how much and what are you feeding her?

i still say she is a liberal dog...suffering in a conservative home.....but that is just me

Willow, another thing you can try is this. When she stops eating and starts howling (you have to be right there to do this as soon as she starts howling) is to distract her with a negative something, like throwing your car keys onto the hard floor. It will startle her and she should stop howling as soon as she hears the sound, it's loud - dogs don't like that stuff - and it's a distraction to the howling. Pick up the keys ... if she goes back to eating let her be but if she starts howling do the key thing again. Enough times with the key thing she will start to associate 'food howling' with 'icky loud noise' and (hopefully) stop.

Did you ever watch 'It's Me or the Dog' with Victoria Stilwell on Animal Planet? Give it a looksee. It's kind of like 'Supernanny' for dogs. Victoria is great, great tips . . . she knows her dogs! I pick up a lot from her.

wow that was hard to figure out...my rule...30 minutes to eat...food is down...dont eat food comes up...i would cut down her morning serving...how much and what are you feeding her?

i still say she is a liberal dog...suffering in a conservative home.....but that is just me

you volunteering to rectumfy that situation?

Cesar Millan (ph)

The man is a fuckwit.

GRRRrrrrrr!

He's a macho idiot who's been bitten many times (not shown in his videos) with is alpha-dog idiocy. Unfortunately he is charismatic and people believe it.

Forum List

Back