Need to write letter to the Superintendent and School Board

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
My kid's started kindergarten in this school, my oldest is in his fourth year there. I Like this school, I like the teachers, well ok 1 I don't care for, but we won't go there, whole other topic.

This is the way things were........................................

Anyway the principal at their school was awesome this guy really cared about the kid's. He was always planning fun things and challenges for them to meet or beat, and if they did he would have to dress up as whatever the kid's choose. One year it was Little Bo Peep, another year it was a Cheerleader, needless to say it was really fun for the kid's, encouraged them to try a little harder, just so their principal would have to dress up.

Now we also every year had a Santa Sale, where the kid's got to go to a little shop, set up in the school, to purchae small christmas gifts for their family. Which was fun and the kid's looked forward to it.

Then we also had a Bronco Store where we could purchase items with school name and Logo.

Finally at the end of the school year I believe it is around the end of May The school has always (or at least the past 5 years that I am aware of) had a Right to Read Parade. Every child in the school Participated this is a huge event in my small town. The had diffrent themes every year For instance one year the theme was America and each of the classrooms represented a state, made flags, and banners, and minature floats. Ronald McDonald is there Clifford the big red dog is there the Baseball head guy from Cincinnati Reds is there. One of the local radio Stations is there, The veterans from the VFW come the highschool band plays. This is a major event!

Once a month the principal would have a pizza party and eat lunch with the kid's whose names were drawn from the caught being good tickets.

Oh hold on almost forgot this one. Every year when our pee wee football teams made it into the Superbowl, we would have a big pep rally for them at school.

This is the way they are Now.......................................

Our principal took another position at another school to further his career. understandable.

The problem is the new Principal. I first met this guy the night of open house, my first impression was this guy's and A@#hole. Then I thought about it and said no that's not fair to him, it is going to be really hard to fill the old princaple's shoe's. So I gave this guy a chance, and here we are 3 weeks into the third quarter and my first impression was dead on. (my first impressions are 99% acurate) but I did give him the benefit of the doubt.

So let's see where do I start, well for one there is no more Bronco store so if you want school related items good luck.

Santa Store didn't happen this year either.

Pizza parties no more, all they get now is a pencil with bronco Logo on it.

Oh and the dressing up thing to encourage them to work harder. Yeah right not happening.

The big Right to Read parade that they have at the end of the year, Not Happening. WHY? Because the new principal thinks it's a waste of time.

As for the pep rally's that didn't happen either. I and several other parent's and teacher's requested this pep rally for our 8 and 9 year olds who were going to the superbowl. His response to me was well I won't be in the school on friday neither will the asst. principal, but if they win will see about doing something for them.

Well if they win they get superbowl tropy's! hellllooo the whole idea is to support the team before the big game not after the fact. We could have done it on Thursady instead. He also made the comment that pep rally's are for middle school so they have something to look forward to. WTF!

and here's the kicker everyday when you go to pick up your child from school you must wait outside in a line with all the other parent's untill they let you in to sign you child out. Ok not a problem been doing that for 4 years now. However I also make it a habit to go in to my children's classrooms about once a week or more if needed to speak with their teacher's make sure they are doing what they should be and handling any situations that may have arisen. Their teachers do not have a problem with this, I actually think they enjoy it, one less conference to worry about at conference time, because they are in regular contact with me. Not that my kid's are problem children quite the opposite. I am just a very involved parent and like to know what is going on in class. That is my job as their parent to know these things.

Now in order to be able to go back to the classrooms you must sign in at the office and get a name tag. My fingerprints are also on file with the school for field trips and volunteering. I always sign in and out, I always get my name tag.

This new principal however decided he didn't want me going back to the classrooms anymore, unless I was volunteering. I needed to stand outside and wait with the other parent's. Which I do.

This is a public school that my tax dollars are paying for. These are my children, in this school. I feel that I should have every right to go back and speak with their teacher's.

Needless to say I am very upset with this man and the way I believe he is using his position. I do not think he cares one bit about any of the children in this school, this is nothing but a power trip for him!

So any suggestions on what I should or should not put in this letter to the Superintendent and School Board.

khafley said:
My kid's started kindergarten in this school, my oldest is in his fourth year there. I Like this school, I like the teachers, well ok 1 I don't care for, but we won't go there, whole other topic.

This is the way things were........................................

Anyway the principal at their school was awesome this guy really cared about the kid's. He was always planning fun things and challenges for them to meet or beat, and if they did he would have to dress up as whatever the kid's choose. One year it was Little Bo Peep, another year it was a Cheerleader, needless to say it was really fun for the kid's, encouraged them to try a little harder, just so their principal would have to dress up.

Now we also every year had a Santa Sale, where the kid's got to go to a little shop, set up in the school, to purchae small christmas gifts for their family. Which was fun and the kid's looked forward to it.

Then we also had a Bronco Store where we could purchase items with school name and Logo.

Finally at the end of the school year I believe it is around the end of May The school has always (or at least the past 5 years that I am aware of) had a Right to Read Parade. Every child in the school Participated this is a huge event in my small town. The had diffrent themes every year For instance one year the theme was America and each of the classrooms represented a state, made flags, and banners, and minature floats. Ronald McDonald is there Clifford the big red dog is there the Baseball head guy from Cincinnati Reds is there. One of the local radio Stations is there, The veterans from the VFW come the highschool band plays. This is a major event!

Once a month the principal would have a pizza party and eat lunch with the kid's whose names were drawn from the caught being good tickets.

Oh hold on almost forgot this one. Every year when our pee wee football teams made it into the Superbowl, we would have a big pep rally for them at school.

This is the way they are Now.......................................

Our principal took another position at another school to further his career. understandable.

The problem is the new Principal. I first met this guy the night of open house, my first impression was this guy's and A@#hole. Then I thought about it and said no that's not fair to him, it is going to be really hard to fill the old princaple's shoe's. So I gave this guy a chance, and here we are 3 weeks into the third quarter and my first impression was dead on. (my first impressions are 99% acurate) but I did give him the benefit of the doubt.

So let's see where do I start, well for one there is no more Bronco store so if you want school related items good luck.

Santa Store didn't happen this year either.

Pizza parties no more, all they get now is a pencil with bronco Logo on it.

Oh and the dressing up thing to encourage them to work harder. Yeah right not happening.

The big Right to Read parade that they have at the end of the year, Not Happening. WHY? Because the new principal thinks it's a waste of time.

As for the pep rally's that didn't happen either. I and several other parent's and teacher's requested this pep rally for our 8 and 9 year olds who were going to the superbowl. His response to me was well I won't be in the school on friday neither will the asst. principal, but if they win will see about doing something for them.

Well if they win they get superbowl tropy's! hellllooo the whole idea is to support the team before the big game not after the fact. We could have done it on Thursady instead. He also made the comment that pep rally's are for middle school so they have something to look forward to. WTF!

and here's the kicker everyday when you go to pick up your child from school you must wait outside in a line with all the other parent's untill they let you in to sign you child out. Ok not a problem been doing that for 4 years now. However I also make it a habit to go in to my children's classrooms about once a week or more if needed to speak with their teacher's make sure they are doing what they should be and handling any situations that may have arisen. Their teachers do not have a problem with this, I actually think they enjoy it, one less conference to worry about at conference time, because they are in regular contact with me. Not that my kid's are problem children quite the opposite. I am just a very involved parent and like to know what is going on in class. That is my job as their parent to know these things.

Now in order to be able to go back to the classrooms you must sign in at the office and get a name tag. My fingerprints are also on file with the school for field trips and volunteering. I always sign in and out, I always get my name tag.

This new principal however decided he didn't want me going back to the classrooms anymore, unless I was volunteering. I needed to stand outside and wait with the other parent's. Which I do.

This is a public school that my tax dollars are paying for. These are my children, in this school. I feel that I should have every right to go back and speak with their teacher's.

Needless to say I am very upset with this man and the way I believe he is using his position. I do not think he cares one bit about any of the children in this school, this is nothing but a power trip for him!

So any suggestions on what I should or should not put in this letter to the Superintendent and School Board.

Any parent should have the right to visit their child's classroom any time they want to. period.

I would attempt to find a way to present this as a group of parents complaining--PTA possibly? Might have more impact than one letter from one parent.

The whole parents are not allowed in the classroom unless they are volunteering thing would not fly with me at all. I reserve the right to enter the classroom where my child is at any time to find out what they are learning and how they are behaving.

Checking in is fine and right, don't want pervs walking the hallways just saying they are parents but you cannot keep me from checking in on what you are doing to my child.

I would suggest working withing the PTA or another group of parents, it will have more impact and you will find out if your assessment is shared by others.

There are principals that are awesome, some adequate, others, well :shocked:

I agree with the idea that parents should be able to observe in the child's classroom any time. I actually encourage parents to do so, they would have a better idea at the level of work their child is capable of.

However, I wonder if you know how many parents will come in to 'observe' then start trying to answer questions meant for the students? That in and of itself is tolerable, though not so great for your children. What's really bad is when parents come in as pairs and talk to each other, definately interesting.

To keep a parent out of the school or from talking to teachers is wrong, should be able to do so relatively at will. You should not however hope for a 'quick conference' at 8:10 in the morning, or 15 minutes before school lets out. Those need to be arranged in advance.

Kathianne said:
There are principals that are awesome, some adequate, others, well :shocked:

I agree with the idea that parents should be able to observe in the child's classroom any time. I actually encourage parents to do so, they would have a better idea at the level of work their child is capable of.

However, I wonder if you know how many parents will come in to 'observe' then start trying to answer questions meant for the students? That in and of itself is tolerable, though not so great for your children. What's really bad is when parents come in as pairs and talk to each other, definately interesting.

To keep a parent out of the school or from talking to teachers is wrong, should be able to do so relatively at will. You should not however hope for a 'quick conference' at 8:10 in the morning, or 15 minutes before school lets out. Those need to be arranged in advance.

I observe, I do not participate. I think it would be extremely rude to interfere with the education of other people's children. If another parent came and wanted to talk I would remove myself from the room.

The best perspective is when the kid doesn't know that I am there. If I am able to sneak up on the classroom and watch the kid it gives me a better perspective of what I need to help her with.

That stinks. The principal and teachers at our school are thrilled when parents get so involved. Maybe it will just take him a while to get into the school spirit. I think it's a pretty bad idea on his part to take away those extras. The more kids are involved in those things,the better they like school and are more likely to stay out of trouble. I would also suggest getting a group of parents to write a letter.

In response to several responses here..............

I also observe, and do not participate. I tend to look for a corner out of the way so I will not be a distraction. Most of the time when I do go into the classroom it is like 10 minutes till dismissal. So they are not in the middle of teaching a class. The kid's are getting their things together to go home.

As for finding out how many other parent's feel this way. I have a pretty wide variety of parent's and staff that I speak with on a regular basis. That are not very happy with this principal either.

krisy said:
That stinks. The principal and teachers at our school are thrilled when parents get so involved. Maybe it will just take him a while to get into the school spirit. I think it's a pretty bad idea on his part to take away those extras. The more kids are involved in those things,the better they like school and are more likely to stay out of trouble. I would also suggest getting a group of parents to write a letter.

I doubt he'll ever get into the school spirit, he was the asst. principle at the other school in our district untill this year. That school however was grades K-8. Where ours is grade K - 4. I think that's part of his problem he needs to get out of the middle school principle role and take on the Elem. role.

also try to get in contact with the old principle. see if he can offer any advice on it. im not sure if each state has its own meeting agenda or whatever, but if they have something monthly get a posse to concerned parents together and go to a meeting and state your opinions.

obviously schools try to preach school cohesion(SP?) and pro school events and anything that in turn promotes school in a positive way. this douche bag seems like he is jsut there to do his basic job and thats it.

Watch the movie "Uncle Buck." You'll know when the important scene comes up. Also, try the classic mom tactic (my mom has perfected this). Go up and chew him out calmly in your mom voice. What's he going to do, expel you? My mom did that once after I spent the day getting abused by my classmates and it altered the disciplinary policies of the whole school.

khafley said:
I doubt he'll ever get into the school spirit, he was the asst. principle at the other school in our district untill this year. That school however was grades K-8. Where ours is grade K - 4. I think that's part of his problem he needs to get out of the middle school principle role and take on the Elem. role.

Khafley, do you know what grades he taught? It's pretty hard for a 'secondary teacher' to get into the 'education major' role. (I know, ;) )

You might try to enlist a 'well respected' teacher, to approach him about the differences in motivation between little kids and more mature students. Believe me, the reverse also happens when a successful 'little kid teacher' become principal of a school with middle school or high school students. They want 'cutesy' and 'motivational', which both the students and teachers find insulting. Maybe the issue is no more than that? He can find a 'motivational leader' among his faculty?

Forum List

Back