Need some help.

Any backup software out there to backup to flash drives?

I personally use Acronis. It's very fast and you can contain the software in the boot of your flash disk so you can boot from the flash disk and image the hard drive of the system to the flash disk.

I would think that most of the good ones can do that as well though.

But for my personal data, it's simply right click and copy to ...

Acronis is probably the best one available, I didn't want to fork out the $50 for the license.

So with fault tolerance and data redundancy would a home server with a RAID 1 configuration work best or simply archiving onto thumb drives or cds be the optimum route?

I have always had excellent service and price from MWave. And they will assemble and test your new motherboard for only $9. As someone who doesn't want to bother with thermal paste, etc., it's a great deal.

Good luck!

Any backup software out there to backup to flash drives?

I personally use Acronis. It's very fast and you can contain the software in the boot of your flash disk so you can boot from the flash disk and image the hard drive of the system to the flash disk.

Acronis is probably the best one available, I didn't want to fork out the $50 for the license.

So with fault tolerance and data redundancy would a home server with a RAID 1 configuration work best or simply archiving onto thumb drives or cds be the optimum route?

I back up images of systems with Acronis, but my personal data I simply copy onto another drive without software. That way I can access my data on the other drive anytime without software. Simply copy and paste.

I back up images of systems with Acronis, but my personal data I simply copy onto another drive without software. That way I can access my data on the other drive anytime without software. Simply copy and paste.

I didn't know files could be saved to an hard drive without an OS. I'm assuming the drive has to at least be formated.

Ever since I switched to Linux, I get laid a lot more, I got a raise at my job, and my computer thanks me just for being able to have the opportunity to serve my needs every day when I turn it on.

For starters.

I didn't know files could be saved to an hard drive without an OS. I'm assuming the drive has to at least be formated.

If you have an uninitialized drive and intend to use it then you must initialize the drive and layout the format. If the software device that lays the index and files out formats ahead (and all that I know do this) then there should be no need to format.

I can image a clone onto a non-initialized drive and it will simply initialize and format as it goes along with a sector by sector transcription.

If you are running Windows 7, then you can use the Windows 7 native software to initialized and format your drive.

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management

Ever since I switched to Linux, I get laid a lot more, I got a raise at my job, and my computer thanks me just for being able to have the opportunity to serve my needs every day when I turn it on.

For starters.

LOL

I run my servers through Linux. But I would never want to run my personal machine through Linux.

Fallout New Vegas would be the first argument. :lol:

If you have an uninitialized drive and intend to use it then you must initialize the drive and layout the format. If the software device that lays the index and files out formats ahead (and all that I know do this) then there should be no need to format.

I can image a clone onto a non-initialized drive and it will simply initialize and format as it goes along with a sector by sector transcription.

If you are running Windows 7, then you can use the Windows 7 native software to initialized and format your drive.

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management

For starters.

LOL

I run my servers through Linux. But I would never want to run my personal machine through Linux.

Fallout New Vegas would be the first argument. :lol:

The machine you're "talking" to me here runs on Ubuntu 10.10. I honestly do prefer it to Windows but unfortunately some apps (mostly games) are Windows based so I dual boot.
The current version of Ubuntu has placed the majority of restricted codecs in one download in the support repository. If I was running a very, very fast machine I would just load Windows in Virtual Box and run all my games in there.
My Office suite is Open Office lite, the portable version that can actually run more apps than the full version and is much faster than the full version. The file save options blow Windows Office off the map.
When I get my Win 7 OS I'll load it on this one in VB to see how it works.

I run an e8500 @ 4.2Ghz with 8GB @ 1800Mhz on RAID 0 SSD's.

There's no slowness when you get to this speed.

Regarding saving file options. I have the ability to convert into any format I need to use.

It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer Linux for my server boxes as that's what Linus intended it for, and Windows 7 for my households personal machines. It's simply easier and more compatible. My view is why bind myself to a server for a home based machine?

To each, their own. Since you dual boot you are not bounded.

Success!! I formated disc 2 and loaded the HP backup on it but it would not boot. The new parts arrived for my wifes computer, put it together, loaded the bios with disc 1 in place then formated disc 1 and installed XP on it. After getting everything set up I installed disc 2 in the computer, rebooted and wa-la! There are all her files, favorites, contacts, etc ready to be accessed. She's happy (which means I'm happy too!). :lol:

Well done :)

I understand where your happiness births. :razz:

Oh yeah! Sex for a week!! Well, maybe a day or two........ :lol:
I did run into one other issue, no sleep function, shut off or reboot only. (The suspend button is there but dimmed and unusable. Nothing in the power control for hibernate of sleep. According to the Microsoft online FAQs my system doesn't support hibernation (generic answer for "if you don't see the hibernate tab".

I did run into one other issue, no sleep function, shut off or reboot only. (The suspend button is there but dimmed and unusable. Nothing in the power control for hibernate of sleep. According to the Microsoft online FAQs my system doesn't support hibernation (generic answer for "if you don't see the hibernate tab".

Check and see if there is a native Windows video driver for your motherboard if the video is onboard. If there is, download one from the motherboard site or if it is a discrete video adapter, from the website of the adapter.

Check and see if there is a native Windows video driver for your motherboard if the video is onboard. If there is, download one from the motherboard site or if it is a discrete video adapter, from the website of the adapter.

I'm using the graphics card from her old system and never had this issue. I'll check the graphics card site, going backwards from Pista to XP could be the issue. I'm still guessing. :lol:
Thanks for your help!
I think I just figured it out. The bios loaded Nvida drivers but her graphics card is a Radeon GXE. Duh! :lol:

Last edited:

I'm using the graphics card from her old system and never had this issue. I'll check the graphics card site, going backwards from Pista to XP could be the issue. I'm still guessing. :lol:
Thanks for your help!
I think I just figured it out. The bios loaded Nvida drivers but her graphics card is a Radeon GXE. Duh! :lol:

VGA Bios does not have sleep mode data. The same thing will happen if you enter safe mode.

Sure thing. :)

Thanks for your help!

VGA Bios does not have sleep mode data. The same thing will happen if you enter safe mode.

Sure thing. :)

I also need to read my specs better. The mobo was designed specifically for Nvidia, it even says so on the box. So I'll take my Nvidia card out of my machine and put it in hers. Now I get to buy a new one for mine..... :D
:lol:
(Mine is a one gig, hers is a half a gig).
Plus a guy at work gave me a Dell E1705 that he said doesn't work. It would get halfway through the boot up and freeze. I'm loading Win7 on it now and have already looked at CPU upgrades for it, it's running an Intel core solo but is upgradeable to a core duo or core 2 duo.

Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor T9400 (6M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)SL3BX, SLB46, SLB4D, SLGE5, SLGEK

E1705 Upgrade Path

I've seen enough to assure me that this is a drop-in upgrade. The only problem is with the bios, and apparently the a01 bios of the e1705 doesn't like the Merom Core2 duo chips. This is discussed...]

Click 1

Click 2

So, upgrade the BIOS if you are at a low (a01) revision before you drop in a Core 2 Duo.

I'll look again when I boot it back up but I think I saw it read A02 bios on start up. Yeah, I read the Intel forums and saved the list of processors it can use, the other thing was you could put 4 gigs of RAM in instead of the 2 gigs Dell says it can take but I'm only going to get 3.2 in return anyway, nowadays DDR2 RAM is relatively cheap.

Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor T9400 (6M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)SL3BX, SLB46, SLB4D, SLGE5, SLGEK

E1705 Upgrade Path

I've seen enough to assure me that this is a drop-in upgrade. The only problem is with the bios, and apparently the a01 bios of the e1705 doesn't like the Merom Core2 duo chips. This is discussed...]

Click 1

Click 2

So, upgrade the BIOS if you are at a low (a01) revision before you drop in a Core 2 Duo.

I'll look again when I boot it back up but I think I saw it read A02 bios on start up. Yeah, I read the Intel forums and saved the list of processors it can use, the other thing was you could put 4 gigs of RAM in instead of the 2 gigs Dell says it can take but I'm only going to get 3.2 in return anyway, nowadays DDR2 RAM is relatively cheap.

32bit OS's are bounded by the 4GB limit. In that limit the system resource memory and memory mapped devices will be subtracted from that maximal.

So, if you have a 32bit OS and 4GB of RAM along with a 512MB Video card, you subtract the 512MB from the ceiling of 4GB. Even CPU caches, ROMS, System Resources, etc. also take from this ceiling.

Since it is an Intel CPU though, you can install 2 X 1 and 1 X 1 and run it in a downgraded dual channel, but still Dual Channel (Flex mode) with the 2 X 1 and single channel with the 1 X 1.

Not that this matters all that much since the special requirements for Dual Channel to be useful is minimal in home based software machines.

E1705 Upgrade Path

Click 1

Click 2

32bit OS's are bounded by the 4GB limit. In that limit the system resource memory and memory mapped devices will be subtracted from that maximal.

So, if you have a 32bit OS and 4GB of RAM along with a 512MB Video card, you subtract the 512MB from the ceiling of 4GB. Even CPU caches, ROMS, System Resources, etc. also take from this ceiling.

Since it is an Intel CPU though, you can install 2 X 1 and 1 X 1 and run it in a downgraded dual channel, but still Dual Channel (Flex mode) with the 2 X 1 and single channel with the 1 X 1.

Not that this matters all that much since the special requirements for Dual Channel to be useful is minimal in home based software machines.

I'm not that worried about it. I ordered 2GB (2x1GB) 667mhz memory sticks and soon afterwards found a INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.2GHZ/4MB CACHE SLAF8 T7500 800 FSB for $85 shipped. This is the best one recommended for this machine. The one you recommended is a socket P and won't work on this machine.
(Note when you look up the machine online it will show you the newer version which comes standard with a duo core chip in a socket P. This is one of the older machines and had a core solo chip for the budget models and was a socket M.)
I also ran diagnostics from the boot menu. DST short test fail, looks like I need a new hard drive.

Last edited:
I'm not that worried about it. I ordered 2GB (2x1GB) 667mhz memory sticks and soon afterwards found a INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.2GHZ/4MB CACHE SLAF8 T7500 800 FSB for $85 shipped. This is the best one recommended for this machine. The one you recommended is a socket P and won't work on this machine.
(Note when you look up the machine online it will show you the newer version which comes standard with a duo core chip in a socket P. This is one of the older machines and had a core solo chip for the budget models and was a socket M.)
I also ran diagnostics from the boot menu. DST short test fail, looks like I need a new hard drive.

Good info. Thanks. Drives are dirt cheap right now.

Forum List

Back