Need some help.

Keep the CPU. Buy a motherboard that is core 2 (LGA 775) compatible and that will be all you need. You have a good chance of migrating a RAID array with the Intel = Intel / Amd = Amd migration.

Your CPU and cooler will transition to the other board and saves you the CPU purchase.

I doubt you will gain your array back with a different system architecture and I wouldn't go that route.

Your CPU is 533 X 2 = 1066Mhz FSB
Your memory is 533 = 1066 (DDR2)

This is a good board for your CPU:

P5KPL-CM

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS P5KPL-CM

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5G41T-M/CSM LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

It contains the same G41 chipset as your previous motherboard

No RAID though. With onboard video mATX boards RAID usually comes with OEM special order.

I've already ordered these from Newegg:

ASRock > Products > K10N78D

And

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

So if it won't accept the old Raid configuration (which makes me very happy) what about the data on the HD? I have to save it, no ifs, ands or buts........... Will I be able to pull it from the one HD or will I need both HDs. I did do a partition a little while back since it wasn't recognizing the unallocated space on the second HD and I think the system was only using the primary HD but I'm not sure.

• PC2-3200 = DDR2 400Mhz
  • PC2-4200 = DDR2 533Mhz
  • PC2-5400 = DDR2 667Mhz
  • PC2-6400 = DDR2 800Mhz
  • PC2-9600 = DDR2 1200Mhz

If you are going with AMD, then the memory ratios will work for your 533Mhz memory regardless.

You will only be held back with overclocking.

This deals with using them to the maximum efficiency, no? DDR2 cards should be able to work with all those motherboards...regardless..you just don't get the best bang for the buck.

DDR2 is pretty much backwards compatible to speeds. But there are many companies who exceed the standards in order to create high end overclocking memory, and as such have different abilities, often not working compatibly with the standard OEM boards.

And that's not taking into consideration the higher DRAM voltages that OEM boards BIOS's can not modify and which higher end DDR2 memory very often demanded.

As well, with higher FSB processors of the Intel variety the memory must rise to meet the CPU <--> Memory Controller <--> Memory

1066Mhz FSB Intel Processors need a minimum of 533 * 2 (DDR) = 1066Mhz speed
1333Mhz FSB Intel Processors need a minimum of 667 * 2 (DDR) = 1333Mhz speed
1600Mhz FSB Intel Processors need a mimimum of 800 * 2 (DDR) = 1600Mhz speed

With DDR2 of course.

So there is a minimum speed. For example. The 533Mhz memory will not work with a 333Mhz Intel CPU unless the memory can be overclocked to 667Mhz, etc.

Ah thanks..haven't played with Motherboards in a bit.:lol:

So if it won't accept the old Raid configuration (which makes me very happy) what about the data on the HD? I have to save it, no ifs, ands or buts........... Will I be able to pull it from the one HD or will I need both HDs. I did do a partition a little while back since it wasn't recognizing the unallocated space on the second HD and I think the system was only using the primary HD but I'm not sure.

You can always sell that Intel CPU. You can likely pull the data off of the drive if you install it into an Intel Chipset Matrix RAID controller ie. the same chipset model. I have done this more than once on the same chipset ie. ICH7R with ICH7R, ICH8R with ICH8R.

I have never attempted this with AMD and it may be that the AMD RAID spec level is standard throughout. This is often the case with AMD. Intel is always changing chip-set standards. AMD not so much.

RAID 1 or 0?

Ah thanks..haven't played with Motherboards in a bit.:lol:

Your welcome.

Software and analysis is where the money is, but my first love is the hardware. :razz:

Keep the CPU. Buy a motherboard that is core 2 (LGA 775) compatible and that will be all you need. You have a good chance of migrating a RAID array with the Intel = Intel / Amd = Amd migration.

Your CPU and cooler will transition to the other board and saves you the CPU purchase.

I doubt you will gain your array back with a different system architecture and I wouldn't go that route.

Your CPU is 533 X 2 = 1066Mhz FSB
Your memory is 533 = 1066 (DDR2)

This is a good board for your CPU:

P5KPL-CM

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS P5KPL-CM

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P5G41T-M/CSM LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

It contains the same G41 chipset as your previous motherboard

No RAID though. With onboard video mATX boards RAID usually comes with OEM special order.

And

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

You can always sell that Intel CPU. You can likely pull the data off of the drive if you install it into an Intel Chipset Matrix RAID controller ie. the same chipset model. I have done this more than once on the same chipset ie. ICHR7 with ICHR7, ICHR8 with ICH8R.

I have never attempted this with AMD and it may be that the AMD RAID spec level is standard throughout. This is often the case with AMD. Intel is always changing chip-set standards. AMD not so much.

RAID 1 or 0?

If I remember correctly RAID 0. Also, like I said I backed up her entire C drive at the end of Oct but I don't remember which app I used (Duh!). I have an older Dell Insiron 4550 (P4) that I almost never use. I'm wondering if I can switch out the HDs with hers to pull whatever data I need to save (saved favorites, e-mail contacts and mail plus office files). Hell it might be worth a try.
Shit! forget it, the Dell is all IDE and the HP is strictly SATA.

Last edited:
My wife's HP media center computer just died, looks like the chipset and/or motherboard went bye, bye. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm gonna reuse most of whats in the computer. Specifically I'm looking for a good motherboard that supports DDR2 PG2-4200 memory sticks. Any info along this line will be very helpful. Thanks!

The cpu chip socket is step 1
Im using a 1366 socket the old one was AM2,
Find out the chip find the board
the ddr will work

And

You can always sell that Intel CPU. You can likely pull the data off of the drive if you install it into an Intel Chipset Matrix RAID controller ie. the same chipset model. I have done this more than once on the same chipset ie. ICHR7 with ICHR7, ICHR8 with ICH8R.

RAID 1 or 0?

If I remember correctly RAID 0. Also, like I said I backed up her entire C drive at the end of Oct but I don't remember which app I used (Duh!). I have an older Dell Insiron 4550 (P4) that I almost never use. I'm wondering if I can switch out the HDs with hers to pull whatever data I need to save (saved favorites, e-mail contacts and mail plus office files). Hell it might be worth a try.

No. In any RAID situation what you wish would not work. Let's say your RAID 0 array has to deposit one MB of data on the RAID 0 array. Then the controller will deposit one half MB on one drive and the other half MB on the other drive.

Without that RAID controller, you will not see the data regardless. And crossing a RAID 0 Array from an Intel Matrix Chip-set controller to a P4 non RAID Chip-set controller will not work.

RAID 1 or 0?

No. In any RAID situation what you wish would not work. Let's say your RAID 0 array has to deposit one MB of data on the RAID 0 array. Then the controller will deposit one half MB on one drive and the other half MB on the other drive.

Without that RAID controller, you will not see the data regardless. And crossing a RAID 0 Array from an Intel Matrix Chip-set controller to a P4 non RAID Chip-set controller will not work.

That's what I thought. BTW my backup app is Paragon. I wonder if I can get it to replace my old Win 2000 on my E drive in the Dell? I have no clue.

That's what I thought. BTW my backup app is Paragon. I wonder if I can get it to replace my old Win 2000 on my E drive in the Dell? I have no clue.

If I get you correctly, I can't see why not, as long as that drive is large enough to restore the backup. That is what you mean? If so, that's the simplest route and using an unused drive to test the restore is a good safe method.

If I get you correctly, I can't see why not, as long as that drive is large enough to restore the backup. That is what you mean? If so, that's the simplest route and using an unused drive to test the restore is a good safe method.

It didn't want to do the back up because "not enough free space" so I'm formating the drive to see if that works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

It didn't want to do the back up because "not enough free space" so I'm formating the drive to see if that works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hopefully the backup only backed up personal data and not system data :razz:

Hopefully the backup only backed up personal data and not system data :razz:

Nope, full system backup - drive C:
The problem I just discovered is the backup contains 69 GB, the target drive is only 40 GB, Oops! And no other spares.......

Last edited:
Well, so far all attempts at getting it to work have failed. I have an e-mail in to Paragon about recovering individual files from the back up plus I'm investigating if Pandora Recovery (open source) software will work on pulling from a RAID 0 configured drive setup. Luckily my wife did find the files she needed on her laptop but they're a year old and a lot of changes have been made to those files since then. If we can't recover what's on the hd or back up at least not all is lost and she doesn't have to start from scratch.
I'm also studying the how tos for setting up a home server for data storage.

The backup of a RAID 0 drive will not be in RAID 0 formation. I would study fault tolerance and data redundancy to decide on your data storage requirements.

:razz:

The backup of a RAID 0 drive will not be in RAID 0 formation. I would study fault tolerance and data redundancy to decide on your data storage requirements.

:razz:

fault tolerance and data redundancy

What language is that? It doesn't appear to be Greek.......... which I don't speak either.

Anywho the new rebuild parts should be here by Monday. I'll probably end up formating the two drives, loading Win 7 and configuring everything for my wife.

Last edited:
Any backup software out there to backup to flash drives?

I personally use Acronis. It's very fast and you can contain the software in the boot of your flash disk so you can boot from the flash disk and image the hard drive of the system to the flash disk.

I would think that most of the good ones can do that as well though.

But for my personal data, it's simply right click and copy to ...

Forum List

Back