Need New Anti-virus. Suggestions?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
We have 19 days of Norton360 left and quite frankly I can't wait to be rid of it. While it does a good job of keeping shit out it hogs things and runs freakin' background checks the minute the computer is quiet for more than 30 minutes and you can't change the settings on it. The only choice we have is to go into the settings and put it in 'quiet' mode but it only lets you do this for a 24 hr period. The background stuff runs several times a day if you don't do this and there must be a bug in it because it always shuts the computer down.

Anyway, what do you guys suggest? What do you use? We're contemplating Kapersky. Thx for any input. :)

I can't stand Norton. It is a hog, like you said.

MS One care, if you want to pay a subscription.

Otherwise, use AVG. It's free and it works. (Funny factoid: Many government agencies use it, so it does work well, but the government pays for it, even though it is free. I kid you not.) I use AVG, now.

We have 19 days of Norton360 left and quite frankly I can't wait to be rid of it. While it does a good job of keeping shit out it hogs things and runs freakin' background checks the minute the computer is quiet for more than 30 minutes and you can't change the settings on it. The only choice we have is to go into the settings and put it in 'quiet' mode but it only lets you do this for a 24 hr period. The background stuff runs several times a day if you don't do this and there must be a bug in it because it always shuts the computer down.

Anyway, what do you guys suggest? What do you use? We're contemplating Kapersky. Thx for any input. :)

spybot. aside from anti virus malware, they have an immunization prgm. for your browser IE, or Firefox that prevents hi-jacks too..

The home of Spybot-S&D!

to-

The home of Spybot-S&D!

avg is very good to and my old corp. job used spybot as well..

Last edited:
I can't stand Norton. It is a hog, like you said.

MS One care, if you want to pay a subscription.

Otherwise, use AVG. It's free and it works. (Funny factoid: Many government agencies use it, so it does work well, but the government pays for it, even though it is free. I kid you not.) I use AVG, now.

I agree, AVG 2011 free edition is a very good anti virus program. I have used it for several years upto last month when my provider service got one of their own and offer it as part of my internet package.

I would go with AVG 2011 Free because I know it, you can download it free at http://download.cnet.com/windows/

Last edited:

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

McAffee Stinger and Spybot S&D are great sweep programs.

Last edited:
I think you can use Quick Heal because Quick Heal has recently updated their antivirus line for 2011. The new versions include a brand new interface and installer, claimed lower resource usage, faster scanning, firewall, a separate malware protection engine, and more. The biggest complaint with the previous version was the interface. The 2011 version really gives Quick Heal a more mainstream feel and kind of resembles the Trend Micro Titanium+ interface. The settings are also similar to something from Norton with sliders. In addition to comprehensive antivirus protection, Quick Heal 2011 includes a lot of additional and actually useful diagnostic tools including a track cleaner, system explorers and more. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back