need modem help!

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Hey, hopefully, someone can help me out.

I just got a new laptop, and I want to hook it up to the internet. However, our ISP is AOL and I hate their software. I want to set up a connection without using their software, so I went to control panel, then set up a new connection. Problem is, it's asking me for a 'domain'. I don't have a clue what this is or how I could find out what it was. Or maybe that's not even why it's not working, i don't know. Whenever I try to connect, it doesn't work, then when I go back to control panel, my password is way longer than it's supposed to be. Someone help, please!

Dan,

Aol is not just an ISP, it is a hybrid proxy, and you must use their software to connect. Once connected then you can use IE or Firefox. I despise AOL and their bloated software, they just plain suck.

Hey Dan,

Just give me the laptop and your troubles are over! :cof:

Had AT&T dial up here for a short time. Got Charter High Speed Cable hooked up today.

Dump all dial up Dan. Get cable. You'll kick yourself for ever using dial up... ESPECIALLY AOL. Have fun trying to get all that crap "uninstalled" when your done with them. They're frickin' hackers.

No offense taken, I frickin' hate AOL myself, but it breaks down like this:

Other ISP or Cable: $20 and up
AOL: Completely free (for me)

Eventually, I'd like to get cable, but it's not a necessity at the moment. We have a bunch of T3's at school I use every day between classes, anyway.

Thanks for your help, though, guys. I guess I'll just install AOL and hope for the best.

Forum List

Back