Need laptop, suggestions?

I build my own PC's, and for something portable I get a tablet for $100 or so and just copy whatever I need to it if I need to travel. Never liked any laptops I ever saw, and don't know anybody who did own them who didn't have trouble with them all the time.
You never had a problem with a desk top? That's astounding!!!!!

Nope, just a power supply going out once, after 4 years, replaced, lasted another 6 years and went out again, but they had quit making supplies like the old one, so I built a new one. My first PC still works, it finally just went obsolete and I built a new one, which also still works fine, just went obsolete also; current one is going on 7 years old and has only been turned off a couple of times in its entire life, due to a blackout during a storm, and being moved to another room and cleaned; I'm one of those who never turn theirs off and on, as that wears them out quicker; I just leave on 24/7.

Laptops cost 3-4X more than a PC that has much more capability, even with the cheap memory these days; they run hot and don't have the lifespans, and still most have crappy batteries. A decent tablet is much better for the money, and stuff is easily downloaded to them from a PC or copied to a PC via merely drag and drop over USB ports. No need for over-priced laptops. A very good reliable PC can built for less than $300 if you scrounge, or built off the shelf for $600 to $1,000 these days, a tablet for $90-120.
Soooooo you did have problems, power supply fail is a problem.......... As for laptops I've only used Dell (refurbished = inexpensive) and only ever had to replace two hard drives on two different older laptops. Knock on wood I've only had a hard drive and a mobo go out on any of my builds and they were both pretty old.

I'm surprised the ipad isn't cutting it. ipads are better than most laptops.

As far as laptops, I use Getac. Mainly for the hardware perks. That's well out of the 400 dollar range, though.

I really am thinking about a macbook. Mainly because I trust Apple more than I do Microsoft.

As far as laptops, I use Getac. Mainly for the hardware perks. That's well out of the 400 dollar range, though.

I really am thinking about a macbook. Mainly because I trust Apple more than I do Microsoft.
To each their own. Personally I trust Linux more than either Apple or Microsoft.

To each their own. Personally I trust Linux more than either Apple or Microsoft.

Yeah, that's true. I tried it but it was too confusing. Plus I couldn't get any of my drivers to install and work. I would have been willing to keep using it and would have taken time to be patient and get comfortable with it if the drivers worked.

The main thing that killed it for me was that I need my global gps antennas to work and I need my 4G connection to be able too link up to satellites wherever I'm at. I need to be able to physically see the satellite graphic and know where they're at in orbit. That wasn't possible with Linux, my drivers weren't compatible.

Soooooo you did have problems, power supply fail is a problem..........

Not after so many years, it isn't; it's expected, not to mention it lasted far longer than it was rated to. Took 30 minutes, and back up for another long run of 24/7 days.

`
No laptop for me until I deal with the stuff in my basement.
`
`

72oisjv.jpg

Yeah, that's true. I tried it but it was too confusing. Plus I couldn't get any of my drivers to install and work. I would have been willing to keep using it and would have taken time to be patient and get comfortable with it if the drivers worked.

The main thing that killed it for me was that I need my global gps antennas to work and I need my 4G connection to be able too link up to satellites wherever I'm at. I need to be able to physically see the satellite graphic and know where they're at in orbit. That wasn't possible with Linux, my drivers weren't compatible.
How long ago was that?

I build my own PC's, and for something portable I get a tablet for $100 or so and just copy whatever I need to it if I need to travel. Never liked any laptops I ever saw, and don't know anybody who did own them who didn't have trouble with them all the time.

Nope, just a power supply going out once, after 4 years, replaced, lasted another 6 years and went out again, but they had quit making supplies like the old one, so I built a new one. My first PC still works, it finally just went obsolete and I built a new one, which also still works fine, just went obsolete also; current one is going on 7 years old and has only been turned off a couple of times in its entire life, due to a blackout during a storm, and being moved to another room and cleaned; I'm one of those who never turn theirs off and on, as that wears them out quicker; I just leave on 24/7.

Laptops cost 3-4X more than a PC that has much more capability, even with the cheap memory these days; they run hot and don't have the lifespans, and still most have crappy batteries. A decent tablet is much better for the money, and stuff is easily downloaded to them from a PC or copied to a PC via merely drag and drop over USB ports. No need for over-priced laptops. A very good reliable PC can built for less than $300 if you scrounge, or built off the shelf for $600 to $1,000 these days, a tablet for $90-120.
Soooooo you did have problems, power supply fail is a problem.......... As for laptops I've only used Dell (refurbished = inexpensive) and only ever had to replace two hard drives on two different older laptops. Knock on wood I've only had a hard drive and a mobo go out on any of my builds and they were both pretty old.

Hey I gots a question it just occurred to me to ask.

So this Dell system is working very well but there's one thing it does that's annoying. I do a lot of audio work via USB interface and when I record, I get a boatload of hash noise from the power supply -- it goes down (but not completely away) if I pull the power cable out. I can subtract it out in post but that's a PITA.

I ordered a Tripp Lite shielded USB cable with chokes on each end hoping I could stifle the ground loop but it made no difference. The power supply is grounded, and the noise is worse if the laptop and the mixer are plugged into the same circuit branch (which is already double-conversion clean power) so I plug the laptop straight into the wall and it helps but doesn't disappear. Even running on battery it's still somewhat there, even if I use the shielded USB cable.

All I can think of at this point is replacing the power supply....? But that wouldn't solve why it still does it on battery.

Last edited:

So this Dell system is working very well but there's one thing it does that's annoying. I do a lot of audio work via USB interface and when I record, I get a boatload of hash noise from the power supply -- it goes down (but not completely away) if I pull the power cable out. I can subtract it out in post but that's a PITA.

I ordered a Tripp Lite shielded USB cable with chokes on each end hoping I could stifle the ground loop but it made no difference. The power supply is grounded, and the noise is worse if the laptop and the mixer are plugged into the same circuit branch (which is already double-conversion clean power) so I plug the laptop straight into the wall and it helps but doesn't disappear. Even running on battery it's still somewhat there, even if I use the shielded USB cable.

All I can think of at this point is replacing the power supply....? But that wouldn't solve why it still does it on battery.
Sorry, that's above my pay grade........ I.E. I know nothing about that. :dunno:

I know exactly what is causing that, it's a common issue with cheap ass crap electronics like laptops, but since you're a filthy lying Commie traitor I'm not going to tell you.

Wife finally decided her Apple iPad doesn't cut it and wants to get a new laptop. I've stuck with a desktop computer through the years so I'm not much help in offering advice.

She'll be using Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel), cruising the web (Facebook and such) and for doing her banking and paying assorted bills. Pretty basic.

I'm thinking around $400 would get her what she needs. Any suggestions as to (1) a good laptop and (2) where to purchase it would be appreciated.
Here's a suggestion

Don't ask people on an anonymous message board for advice

Wife finally decided her Apple iPad doesn't cut it and wants to get a new laptop. I've stuck with a desktop computer through the years so I'm not much help in offering advice.

She'll be using Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel), cruising the web (Facebook and such) and for doing her banking and paying assorted bills. Pretty basic.

I'm thinking around $400 would get her what she needs. Any suggestions as to (1) a good laptop and (2) where to purchase it would be appreciated.
Here's a suggestion

Don't ask people on an anonymous message board for advice
Yeah, that would be like going to the Apple, Linux or Microsoft forums for advice....... :eusa_whistle:

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back