Need info on motorcycles

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
OK, I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. Problem is, I don't know jack about the different makes/models.

I definitely want a cruiser model, not a dirt bike or a sports bike.

I know a couple of makes, like Harley-Davidson, Indian, and Goldwing.

My questions are:

1. What other makes of cruisers are there? What are some of the major likes/dislikes about each make?

2. For a beginner like me (read: never driven a motorcycle before), what size/kind of bike should I look for?

3. What's the average price range for such a beginner's bike?

4. Do I have to get a tattoo? :D

I know there are a lot of bikers on the board, so hopefully this will point me in the right direction. Thanks! :thup:

I am glad you posted this... I have many of the same questions! Eagerly awaiting the replies!

gop_jeff said:
1. What other makes of cruisers are there? What are some of the major likes/dislikes about each make?
All motorcycle manufacturers make a cruiser model. If you choose one of the japanese blends, go for a V-twin...like the virago from yamaha.

gop_jeff said:
2. For a beginner like me (read: never driven a motorcycle before), what size/kind of bike should I look for?
You are a tall individual so anything above 1000cc's should do nicely.

gop_jeff said:
New prices range from around 9k to 30k.

gop_jeff said:
It's only required in certain circles but let us know if you go with the power rangers. :teeth:

gop_jeff said:
How about used? Or does that vary by make/model/year like cars?

Is that what your avatar is? :D

I was looking at some ads for some used bikes this weekend. There were two posted at the Mt. Springs Saloon Biker Bar (stopped by there this weekend while returning from Death Valley) and although they were both Harleys and both were made in the same years (2003), they were different models and one was asking $6K for his and the other guy was asking $25K for his. Big difference there! WOW

My wife has been looking at BMW bikes, but I think I would prefer a Harley myself.

gop_jeff said:
How about used? Or does that vary by make/model/year like cars?
and condition. a year old bike thats soundly beat up will not be worth as much. but bikes generally follow the same pattern as autos in depreciation costs.

gop_jeff said:
Is that what your avatar is? :D
nope, thats Brak from space ghost.

Initially? Look for a 500cc or so..Honda Shadow, etc. You are a newb - you'll want the lightest bike you can get. Frankly, find the cheapest bike you can fit on...and ride that for an entire summer. Later, look for something like the Kawasaki vulcan 750 or 1500, as your ability increases.
When I was 18 I rode a Vulcan 750 quite a bit. Very good bike for somebody after they master some basics.

k_vn750_02_800.jpg

DO NOT let people talk you into getting the biggest best bike you can afford. Get a bike which won't cost you a lost. When you set down a $2000 bike, you don't feel NEARLY as bad as when you set down a $10K bike

Here's is a MUST read....
http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

Before you ride, or even before you buy, invest in GOOD quality gear. You don't have to spring for leathers, but invest in good textile gear at least. Preferable gear with padding/armor. Today, one can find good armored gear which still looks 'biker'ish (as opposed to 'fruity' like the sport-bike leathers look! :p )

Budget $1000 or so for gear if you value your limbs, and head. Budget $500 for gear if you only value your head and upper body. ;) The guy in the Kawi pic above doesn't have it right. He's hurting in a BIG way if he bites it at anything much over 35mph, while wearing jeans. Jeans:Asphalt as tissue:sandpaper. Oh...and yeah...what if he hits his FACE on anything while he's tumbling down the road.. :(

And before you even THINK about riding very much - take the time to do it right:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/wmsp.htm

Enjoy! :)

Oh - do i have to show you the pic of the guy who crashed while 'not' wearing a full-faced helmet???

gop_jeff said:
OK, I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. Problem is, I don't know jack about the different makes/models.

My questions are:

I know there are a lot of bikers on the board, so hopefully this will point me in the right direction. Thanks! :thup:

If you've never riden before, I would recommend getting a used bike, something like a 125cc Honda or a Kawasaki Eliminator. The bad thing about bikes over the last few years is that most of them are not suited for new riders. If you go with a newer one, Harley-Davidson's Dyna Super Glide Sport is one of the best performing bikes. If you want to go rice rocket, Honda has the Shadow Sabre. It's not the biggest or fastest, but it's not a bad looking bike. On the other side of the coin, Kawasaki has the Mean Streak, which is powerful but looks a little cheesy. A Suzuki Intruder would be good for a beginner, too. Not sure about the prices, but I bet they all have websites to find out.

Oh, and you have to get a tattoo of Ted Kennedy on your butt! :laugh:

freeandfun1 said:
What about the ponytail or the wallet on a chain? are those musts too? :mm:

Well of course if your going to ride you should look the part! :D

gop_jeff said:

My questions are:

4. Do I have to get a tattoo?

Jeff the first thing you need to do is decide is how you intend to use the bike. That will get you into the general category you want. You've already written off dirt bikes and sports bikes although you gave no reason for eliminating them from consideration.

First let's talk function. The purpose of a sport bike is to go very fast and to be able to negotiate curves at speed. To that end, sport bikes have very high performance engines. The top of the line sport bikes, which will set you back between 10 to 14 thousand new, will do 180 mph right out of the box. But these bikes are not built for creature comfort nor are they intended to be ridden for any appreciable time or distance.

Next, cruisers are built to tool around town and to go on relatively short trips. A journey of 300 miles on a cruiser is generally considered a long trip by many owners. Cruisers are generally comfortable to ride, with the exception of some hard-core Harley-Davison hard tail models which lack any suspension in the rear wheel. So the only attenuation of bumps is in the seat springs which make these models very fatiguing to ride and desirable only to the really devoted Harley fans. Cruiser seats come in one-up or two-up varieties, so if you're going to have a co-rider on a regular basis, make sure that she has some input in your choice of bikes. A cruiser will cost from 11,000 to 16,000 bucks new.

Touring bikes are the largest and heaviest of the group. They are intended to be ridden long distances and to support the rider in comfort for many hours of riding. Currently I believe that the Honda Gold Wing is the top touring bike in the world. It has a liquid cooled 6 cylinder engine displacing 1832cc. The suspension can be pre-loaded at the touch of a button to suit the driver's riding preference, load, or road conditions. Honda has done an exceptional job of giving this bike super performance (0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds, top end speed around 140+ mph). In addition, the 1800 Gold Wing has a center of gravity which permits extremely light control inputs and the result is that this 880 pound monster handles more like a sport bike than a tourer.

The Gold Wing probably offers a greater line of creature comforts than any other bike. Rider intercom, so you don't have to yell at each other. Six disc CD player, CB radio, AM-FM stereo, electric reverse gear, self-cancelling turn signals, ample trunk and saddle bag space, adjustable windshield just to name a few. The Gold Wing, like most other touring bikes starts around 16 thousand and goes up to about 24 if you hang lots of goodies on it. If you shop around for a used bike, I recommend avoiding the 2003 model as it is the subject of three recalls.

Kawasaki, BMW and Harley all offer competent touring bikes. So again I'd recommend you look at each and decide which suits your preference. One thing - I do NOT recommend the Yamaha Royal Star. That bike is a derivative of the Yamaha Venture which at one time was an excellent touring bike. But then Yamaha decided they wanted to style it to be just another Harley knock-off and the bike has been a weak performer ever since both in handling and engine performance.

Harleys are currently in high demand, so if you go shopping for those (new or used), don't expect to find any good deals. Many Harley dealers have a problem getting in enough bikes to meet the demand and if you don't want to pay the asking price, the guy in line behind you will. The up-side is that Harley currently retains its resale value better than any other machine.

Many people bad-mouth a particular motorcycle simply out of brand loyalty and that's bogus. Different bikes do different things better than others. So as I said, first decide how you're going to ride. Short trips - cruiser, long trips - touring bike. Then go and get the bike that you like. If it makes you happy, then you've made the right choice.

gop_jeff said:
My questions are:

I have been riding for over 30 years......I am not an expert, nor will I claim to be...riding a bike is a very personal decision, and should be carefully considered, as the risks are very great....

Before you even think about buying any motorcycle take the MSF course: http://www.msf-usa.org/ I take the course about every 3-5 years, since it is always good to never forget that I don't know it all, and can always benefit from practicing the skills necessary to ride safely.

There are many great bikes out there, and it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Yamaha makes a fine line of bikes designated Star (V-Star, Royal Star, Road Star, etc....)

V Star 1100 is a fine bike (it is the modern version of the older Virago family that was a very nice bike, as well).

Things to consider...do you want a windscreen, fairing, saddlebags, lowers....

I find that the liquid cooled engines to be the best for the type of riding that I do....longer rides cross country trips, as well as some of the rally type rides, like Rolling Thunder where there is a lot of stop and go, and the tendency for air cooled engines to overheat when not properly maintained.

I also like the warranty that Yamaha has on thier bikes, as well. I have a 96 Royal Star, and it has given me 50,000 miles of trouble free pleasure.

I have considered getting an Indian, Harley or building my own, many times, but I still think I have a very good machine, and no real need to trade it in...I expect to put over 100,000 miles on this bike, before I buy another.

Check out this forum for an unbridled view of the bikes from those that ride them:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/messages
http://forums.delphiforums.com/star_riders/messages

I have many friends who ride all types of bikes (my wife rides a BMW K75), but I prefer my Royal, before all others....

This is not my bike (Mine is the same model, just no windscreen, rear seat or other misc bling, bling)

Attachments

• $31921712.BillRoyalStarsm.jpg
    $31921712.BillRoyalStarsm.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 54
gop_jeff said:

My questions are:

i hope you're not wanting to pulll a 205-Tilly...

my wife is a paramedic she picked up a couple that had not properly invested in cool motercycle clothing

found her face down with no nose and no nipples

found his tennis shoes with his feet in them 100 yards from the rest of him

It angers me greatly to see people riding not wearing proper attire.

Boots, Helmet, jacket and at the very least jeans (idiots in shorts and flip flops or deck shoes on a motorcycle are going to end up Darwin award winners in my opinion)

BTW...I have a friend in So FLA who is selling his Honda VTX 1300 with 700 miles for around 7500....

New Topics

Forum List

Back