Need help finding sources

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
I keep seeing sources (mostly technical/scientific papers, sometimes books) cited using only the author(s)' name(s) and the year of publication. Anyone know how I can track them down when Google doesn't bring it up?

I keep seeing sources (mostly technical/scientific papers, sometimes books) cited using only the author(s)' name(s) and the year of publication. Anyone know how I can track them down when Google doesn't bring it up?

Yea, this is an issue for me too sometimes. I usually track down the author and get a copy direct from the source.

Well if the work is Published the Authors name should bring it up, unless the book or article or author have nothing on the internet. And yes try another search engine.

• Banned

Well if the work is Published the Authors name should bring it up, unless the book or article or author have nothing on the internet. And yes try another search engine.

I don't know what the work is.

EG: It has been observed that x (Skinner, 1987b)..

How the fuck am I supposed to track something down with that? It's a giant migraine, I tell you. No first name, no title of the paper, no journal name... just a last name, a year, and sometimes a letter. 'Smith 2007a' tells me NOTHING :evil:

• Banned

Yea, this is an issue for me too sometimes. I usually track down the author and get a copy direct from the source.

Kinda hard when you only have a name like Johnson or somethin', though :doubt:

so your trying to track a work by author and year of publish?
i would think Amazon might have it listed if it was published

Actually sounds like notes of a bib. from something, they may only have published a short paper or been cited in someone else's paper.

this sounds like references to a contributor in a scientific journal. in that event you could go to the journal's website. with the author and the year, you can find their article (if the website is as effective as, say, jbc's.). if the shit's not archived online, then you have to write to them for a transcript. i doubt universities still have gopher systems with the internet now, but that is how i had to do it just 12 years ago.

How the fuck am I supposed to track something down with that? It's a giant migraine, I tell you. No first name, no title of the paper, no journal name... just a last name, a year, and sometimes a letter. 'Smith 2007a' tells me NOTHING :evil:

definitely a journal contribution. footnotes should expand on which journal i would think. if not, it is probably in the same one which the current article is in. ie if your ref to skinner is in the biochem journal and they dont specify journal of biology, then it is probably in the biochem journal.

Does Amazon list 30-year old technical papers? (One text I was reading referenced several studies published in the 80s which set the stage for later research)

definitely a journal contribution. footnotes should expand on which journal i would think. if not, it is probably in the same one which the current article is in. ie if your ref to skinner is in the biochem journal and they dont specify journal of biology, then it is probably in the biochem journal.

What about when that's the only form it seems to be referenced in, and it's cited in a book? Short of contacting the author, I'm basically screwed?

there's no references in the back of the book, or an earlier reference to the same author?

edit: a lot of times in the bibliography, there will be a reference to Johnson, Beukema, Wilson and Jackson; Journal of Eugenics, 2005 and then it would just say Johnson, 2005, hence.

Last edited:
I'm amused. That was a an example off the top of my head, but following it lead to three different papers that just got added to my reading list :lol:

There is this wonderful new invention that just came out.If you look in your local phone book you should find a number for something called a library. They actually have people there that like to do something called research, and will do it for you for free. You just have to call them and ask them and they will provide all the references you want.

Forum List

Back