Need Expert Advice

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
To shorten the story.....I need to purchase some mics for studio recording.

Any help you can give me will be VERY much appreciated.

(Am using the Pro Tool program if it makes a difference.)

Originally posted by Sir Evil
What is this program?? do you share?:D

Umm, how about a direct box?

Would share if I knew what I had & what I was doing. All this belongs to my son and I'm just helping out at the moment. When I get some more info, I'd be more than happy to pass it along.

That's mighty nice of Ya Joz! Welcome aboard my new favorite person!:D

How sweet. I just got home from work. I needed a nice word.
Thanks.

Your Welcome! any luck with this so far?

This is what I've found out, so far.

Pro Tools is a computer program that contains both software & hardware. It also contains a converter box that reads the music signal which then converts it into a digital signal. There is a Didgie 01 & a Didgie 02.

Also a direct box could be used but only with a bass.

Let's start at the beginning.

My son was partners in this studio. Partner left, taking the mics. Son's just been looking to get the biggest bang for his buck so to speak. Hence, my original question.

As far as all the other stuff, he's real good. He's run sound for bands on tour & also teaches guitar. They've made some of the bands they've recorded sound good . Tho't that was a bit deceiving but they told me that's their job. I guess. It would help tho' if the bands really were good!

Musicman has been recording in their studio until this mic thing. We need to get him back in there. He's a fabulous musician/songwriter. His recording is loooong overdue. In the past, he has always contributed to furthering others' careers & has not had much encouragement from his 'lady partners' to persue his own path. He's drummed for 35 years and his voice is awesome. Plays guitar too. Is now learning the electric; got a Peevey for Christmas. His music is honest, sometimes angry, very funny, political. From what I've seen from you on this board; right up your alley!

Well I have a few of my toys pictured here! I also have some amps for sale should he need on!:D

Those are pretty cool. I'll be sure to show them to Musicman. I can't tell from looking, like some people. What make of guitars are they?

Aaron, (son) has at least eight. Is in the process of selling one to get money for hardware for the one he is making.

What kind of amps are you selling? I know another guy who is looking for a, I believe, vintage Marshall; but don't quote me. I'll check with him to find out for sure.

Well for the most part these are what I call my knock around toys!
Starting from left to right there is a Jackson Dinky, Dillion LP copy, Agile PRS copy, and a Agile LP copy.. The Jackson is my main player, but I have many other's and a few that dont see daylight too often! they are a Vintage Gibson V which I have not quite verivied the year on, an American Hamer Chapparal, and a Customized Jackson dinky in a zebra finish! Oh man, I hope the wife does'nt see this thread! I be in the streets sooner then I expected!:D

The amp on top of the Ampeg is one I am currently selling. this is a british Trace Elliot Super Tramp head! Rated at 100watts! nice if you like the gritty british sounding amps! I spend to much time grinding out or shall I say trying to grind out heavy metal like music, so the Trace really does'nt fit me!

Very nice collection Sir Evil! I saw the picture and was getting really jealous that you had a cherry sunburst LP!

I don't have pics, but I do have:
-an Ovation Celebirty, shallow body, light tan top acoustic/electric
-a Fender Strat, midnight blue (kind of purple, if you ask me) with rosewood neckboard and alder body
-a Rogue LX405 5-string bass
-a Peavey 15-watt practice amp
-a Rogue 120-watt bass amp, with a single 15" speaker
- a processor for the guitar... can't remember the name and brand but it's got 16 different amps, effects, cabinets, wah, etc. Very cool.

Sounds (and looks) like you guys have some great rigs. I've been a drummer all my life (well, not yet, I ain't). I picked up rhythm guitar when I was in my 20's, for the express purpose of writing songs. Know my theory and structure pretty well.

However, in the last 6 months or so, I've fallen in love with the electric guitar. I don't think I'll ever be the guitarist I'd like to be, but just being around it has been a full on gas. I think it's made me a better writer. I know I'm happier.

I've got a Peavey LTD Standard (Sweet. Flame maple top, Hipshot tremolo, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and screaming H-S-H pickup configuration).

Also, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe three channel (Fender calls the channels normal, drive, and more drive. I call them normal, overdrive, and ludicrous drive). It's a 40 watt 1-12 tube amp. I had it up on five once. It melted my fillings.

My acoustic is a Martin OMM model with a Fishman transducer. The Fender Hot Rod actually has a low-gain input, so technically I could run the Martin through it. However, who the hell wants to re-EQ his amp everytime he changes guitars? So, I figure I'll just run direct.

I'd like to find another nice-playing electric, and detune it a full step.

I still do some gigs on the drums from time to time. I've got a sweet old kit-1981 Slingerlands with melodic toms, a Gretsch 8"x14" snare, and Zildjians all the way around.

Zildjian- that's about a weird-ass name, isn't it? Can you guys think of another word that has three dotted letters in it?

Love to hear more about what's going on with your music. Stay in touch.

Maybe not so wierd as I thought:

Mississippi

Cincinnati

jingoistic

vilified

Oh well, what can I say? I'm an idiot.

Let me rephrase that. I'm idiotic.:teeth:

Musicman, very nice. My next acoustic will be a Martin - I have yet to play anything superior to it in tone and feel.

My next electric... probably an LP, or a good copy! SE, one of the guitarists in my rock/praise band plays an Epiphone LP copy, and I enjoyed it, but you definitely knew it wasn't the real thing! Where did you pick up the Agile?

My next bass... probably an Ibanez 5-string (I wouldn't know what to do with only 4 strings!), but I'm still fairly new to the bass, so I still have some learning to do about the different brands.

BTW, Musicman, that Fender amp sounds really sweet! Like I said, all I have is that dinky little 15-watt Peavey. It does the job for practice but not much else!

Since we're all sharing our instruments, I figured I'd share as well (sadly, I don't really know anything about models or anything, you'll have to ask Sir Evil!)...

Electric guitars:
Yamaha SG copy (not sure of the exact model. Sir Evil?)
Dillon PRS copy, very great sound out of this one, I love it!

Amps:
Ampeg w/ 2 eight-inch speakers, I believe?

acoustics:
Classical guitar, very nice make, hand-made, the name escapes me though, I'll check later.
Ovation acoustic/electric

And I have a Zoom Grunge distortion pedal and an MXR phaser. I never really use either, though.

Anyway, that acoustic is my favorite, by far, I haven't heard many that get such a warm sound.

I definitely need to note that were it not for Sir Evil, I never would be playing in the first place. The reason I first started wanting to play was because he did (I think I was like 10 at the time), and he actually gave me that Yamaha, my first guitar. He also gave me the Ovation, and the Dillon, and the Ampeg, AND the MXR pedal!!! These are definitely my most prized possessions, and I think he knows how much I appreciate it. I hope anyway!:)

I took lessons for about five or six years, with about two years of classical lessons. I also took classical lessons for one semester in college. Sadly, I've never been in a band, because it's hard to find someone that plays anything other than guitar around here.

Originally posted by Dan
I took lessons for about five or six years, with about two years of classical lessons. I also took classical lessons for one semester in college. Sadly, I've never been in a band, because it's hard to find someone that plays anything other than guitar around here.

I hear you... I was surprsied how popular I became once I switched over to playing bass.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I hear you... I was surprsied how popular I became once I switched over to playing bass.

I met Billy Sheean when he did a clininc locally. He said the reason he chose the bass was, he tho't, since those musicians had the largest cases, they had to be the most important! He sure is one heck of a bassist tho'.

Fender is giving away an American Strat. Revolutionay S-1 switching system.

To enter:

http://www.fender.com/emailnews/v6 2/

At least this is the link they sent me. You might be able to just go to Fender's site and register.

Forum List

Back