Need Computer Help

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
I admit it, I have absolutely no tech skills... we hooked up my son's new IPod to my computer and I got the following message:

There are no HI-SPEED USB Host Controllers installed on this computer.

The USB Mass Storage Device will function at a reduced speed. You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance.

I have only one thing to say about that.... HUH?!?!?!?!

Can someone please help. :eusa_pray:

The message means that the USB port is operating at the slower USB 1.1 configuration as opposed to the higher speed of USB 2.0. This might be due to the age of your computer, i.e., it may pre-date USB 2.0. Or it might be that high speed USB 2.0 is not enabled in the BIOS settings of your PC. Reboot your PC. Do not let Windows start, rather press F2 (or whatever the command is for your PC) to enter the BIOS setup program. Go through the settings displayed and see if you can find something like USB 2.0 enable/disable. If there is such a setting choice, choose enable, save, reboot. Finally, Windows itself may lack its USB 2.0 driver for some reason. Start Windows, click on control panel, click on System, click on the Hardware tab along the top of the dialog box, click device manager, scroll to the bottom of the tree to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Make sure there is no red x on any of the displayed devices. If there is, right click and choose enable. Oh, and if you are running Windows XP, make sure it has all the updates you can get from the Windows update page (http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us), especially SP2 (service pack 2).

Regardless, your IPOD should work ok with the slower USB 1.1.

I have an old IBM portable that will not even read 1GB pin drives, never thought to look in setup, doubtful it will help but worth the check.

I have an old IBM portable that will not even read 1GB pin drives, never thought to look in setup, doubtful it will help but worth the check.
You might also check the IBM support site for newer BIOS revisions for your machine.

DiureticThat's weird..I hooked up a usb hub and now I get that message
"The USB Mass Storage Device will function at a reduced speed. You must add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance. "
But, I don't get it when I disconnect the hub....I quit.
Take this advice at your own risk. Altering your PC system software can lead to computer dysfunction. Read the documentation that came with your new device. The error message means the USB controller in your computer supports USB 1.0 or 1.1, not the higher speed 2.0. Perhaps a new driver for your USB controller will correct the situation. Or it could be the controller is not capable of USB 2.0 support. Assuming you are running Windows XP: go to control panel. Select "system." Select "hardware." Select "device manager." Click on the plus sign in front of "Universal Serial Bus controllers." Identify the USB controller. Right click on the device. Select "update driver." Follow the prompts. If there is more than one controller, update all of them. If this does not work, your system may not be capable of USB 2.0 support. Or you could go to the "Windows Update" website to see it it can identify that you need an updated USB controller driver.

The message means that the USB port is operating at the slower USB 1.1 configuration as opposed to the higher speed of USB 2.0. This might be due to the age of your computer, i.e., it may pre-date USB 2.0. Or it might be that high speed USB 2.0 is not enabled in the BIOS settings of your PC. Reboot your PC. Do not let Windows start, rather press F2 (or whatever the command is for your PC) to enter the BIOS setup program. Go through the settings displayed and see if you can find something like USB 2.0 enable/disable. If there is such a setting choice, choose enable, save, reboot. Finally, Windows itself may lack its USB 2.0 driver for some reason. Start Windows, click on control panel, click on System, click on the Hardware tab along the top of the dialog box, click device manager, scroll to the bottom of the tree to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Make sure there is no red x on any of the displayed devices. If there is, right click and choose enable. Oh, and if you are running Windows XP, make sure it has all the updates you can get from the Windows update page. Regardless, your IPOD should work ok with the slower USB 1.1.

We haven't heard back from Jillian, but your information is right on. :clap2:

Forum List

Back